Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dairyland Dare-long

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Dairyland Dare-long

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-07, 05:09 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Dairyland Dare-long

In spite of good advice on the subject of cycling in inclemet weather from Coyote and on using common sense from BluesDawg (handling the heat pg.3) I decided to tackle the Dairyland Dare today. I made this decision at 3:30am this morning so I think that I can be excused for not thinking quite clearly. In all honesty, I must admit that I loaded up the car last night but had not yet registered or even made the decision about doing the ride. But I figured-what the h-ll its not like I have anything else to do but sleep and I was after all awake at that point, so off I went. It was a one hour drive to Dodgeville, wi located about 30-40 miles west of Madison. After doing all the paperwork (I was #747) I jumped on the bike and off I went. The advertised distance was 64 miles. At the end of the ride my odometer showed 67plus which was approx. the same as a few other that I talked to. The advertised climbing was 7685ft.. I'm sure it was more like 76000feet. There were a number of hills in the 16-18% grade range and they were much longer than what I'm accustomed to riding around here. Fortunately, it was cool when I started and it rained for much of the middle section of the course. The sun came out as I was finishing and the temps shot up with 91 deg. being the predicted. I feel sorry for those doing the 200 and 300 k. routes as it has to be brutal out there now. The rest stations (3) were well stocked with the usual goodies and the sag support was visible and regular. Will I do it again-not now, however, I'm sure I'll have forgotten the pain by next year. Besides as Skipper is up in Door County with his wife and their tandem, he couldn't ride it this year. As a reward to myself for completing the whole thing without walking a single hill and doing so in good time, a bit over 5 hours, I've ordered one of their jerseys. If anyone wants more info on a ride for next year-go to google and type in Dairyland Dare, they have a very good site or send a request and I'll give you what info I have.
Old 08-11-07, 05:44 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Wtg!
That sounds like a tough ride. Congrats on making it up all the hills.
What doesn't kill us keeps us alive.
Old 08-11-07, 05:45 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR 2, Flyte SRS 2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I am only 46 and not the 50+ required for membership, I also did this ride.
Here is my ride report. There was a group of us from the Great Lakes forum that did the ride. My Garmin mileage was also over the advertised distance. That county Z at the end was a killer!
See you there next year!
https://www.bikeforums.net/great-lakes/331765-dairyland-dare-ride-report.html

Kenal0
Old 08-11-07, 05:52 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A (younger) friend of mine was going to attempt to complete 200km in that race today. If he did, I believe he would have had to climb something around 14000-15000' of elevation gain.

Hats off to you rck! I might have made it up around 4-5 hills (none of the 16-18 percenters) before calling it a day. I am impressed.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-11-07, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congrats.
Old 08-11-07, 07:00 PM
Master of the Universe

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
WOW! Congrats on the ride. Dogdeville is about three or so hours north of me. I have driven those roads a lot , but have not cycled up there yet. I think I can handle it but looks like next year will have to do.
Old 08-13-07, 03:36 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here are the elevation plot lines for the various Dairyland Dare courses

https://www.dairylanddare.com/images/dld_profiles.pdf
Old 08-13-07, 03:46 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Excellent! Me thinks you were thinking very clearly at 3:30 am. Very good ride!