Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time Trial Noob Results

I had a case of performance anxiety, for sure. Cgallagh let me sleep in and had coffee, a shot of espresso and steamed milk all ready. I made oatmeal and hardly tasted it. Gathered my stuff, he loaded the dogs and the bike and off we went.

It was cool when we got to Esparto and I was chilled. Met Velodiva and Hermes, visited portapotty, checked in. Saw a fellow club member and had pep-talk. Rode about 3 miles on side streets (no trainer) and called it good. Visited portapotty. Shed extra jacket, realized hubby went off to start w/o rolling up windows, rode & fetched keys, locked up truck properly, rode to start.

Got a great start and spent the first mile getting myself under control. I wanted to go out fast but had to pace -- it's 18 miles. Had songs in my head to sing and got right down to business. The course was very well marked, the day was clear, sunny, and there was a 6 mph wind (approx.) from the northwest, so going out gave me a tailwind.

I stuck to my plan and kicked it up a notch every 6 miles. After the turnaround (I was way slow so I boogied to get back up to speed) I found out that my lack of experience on this bike, with SRAM components, worked against me. Twice I upshifted when I wanted to downshift. I lost some time climbing the rollers, dammit.

The last 4 miles were marked every mile, so every time I saw a sign I started with a faster song in my head and went for it. That last mile I was in full-on sprint. I didn't even see the finish line, I had my head down and hammered along. Pulled up, checked my computer, it said 53 min. and change. Hmmm. I'd hoped for better, but hey, I showed up and rode my first TT, so it's a guaranteed personal best.

Found Velodiva and Hermes and hubby and much congratulating ensued.

Then I saw my official results: 51:31, 5th of 11 women. Whoo-hoo! I was surprised and pleased.

We came home and met a BF tandem couple, rode a 39 mile easy loop, then had a delicious meal with DBC Steve and stoker Terry. We missed Velodiva and Hermes; they took a rain check.

I'm hooked and can't wait to do another TT. I'm really happy with my results, as well as with the rest of the day, and will sleep like a babe tonight.

My thanks to all of you who offered advice. I appreciate that very much.

Just a note: If anyone had tried to tell me that at 52 I'd be into this kind of sport, I'd have laughed my *ss off. So never say never and be open to possibilities. This a way better kind of mid-life crisis to have than others of which I've heard.

Now, off to a well-deserved rest.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
    My Bikes
    Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time Trials are like a box of chocolates.

One is never enough.

And you never know what the next one will be.

Congratulations are very much in order here,

Well done

george
    ---------------------------------------------------
    https://sites.google.com/site/imjibi/home

Photos of present tour of South East Asia
    http://picasaweb.google.com/georgeidf50/southeastasia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Just a note: If anyone had tried to tell me that at 52 I'd be into this kind of sport, I'd have laughed my *ss off. So never say never and be open to possibilities. This a way better kind of mid-life crisis to have than others of which I've heard.
    Congrats on the TT. Any type of mid-life crisis that make you stronger and better prepared for future years is well worth it. I'm riding more miles this year than in a long time and it has benefitted me.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '87 DeRosa Professional, '91 Gary Fisher SuperCaliber, 1999 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahem. Where be de pics?

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Ahem. Where be de pics?
    see the "Red Rider and Velodiva are awesome" thread. Pics properly posted thank you
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

Flatlander
    in the House of Perpetual Renovation, BSLNC
    My Bikes
    2010 Jamis Coda Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a red letter day! Congratulations on your effort; enjoy many more!

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not worthy to post in the same forum! Congrats!!!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on a great job! I echo your sentiments about being in this sport at this age, tho' you are way ahead of me in the sport. I try to push myself not just physically but also psychologically at least a little bit on each ride, and I swear this is the best anti-aging pill there is. Your report is very inspiring.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    21 mph ave... very good!