Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-07, 11:20 AM   #1
Beverly
Senior Member ??
Thread Starter
 
Beverly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Englewood,Ohio
Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Posts: 5,094
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Michigan West Shoreline Tour - hills, hills, hills

I just returned from this week long tour and my only comment is.... "SW Ohio doesn't have any hills"
The ride description mentioned there would be some challenging climbs but they failed to tell you it was going to be every day. My Garmin has never seen so many 5-11% grades. The route followed the shoreline but constantly climbed from the beaches to the bluffs and ridges for some spectacular views.

This is a well organized ride with fantastic food and I would recommend it to anyone.....just be sure you're ready for climbing, climbing and more climbing. I had to skip riding on day 3 as my right leg and ankle started swelling. I guess I wasn't fully recovered from the cellulitis I contacted on the XOBA ride. A day of rest and heat pads solved the problem and I was able to ride the remainder of the trip. As it turned out this was a great day to skip as it contained the worst climbs of the route. One of our riders who has never walked a hill had to walk his bike up the last few feet on one of the climbs. If he quit a few feet from the top I probably would have needed to be dragged up that one

We had a wonderful time and were able to take in some of the side trips - a dune buggy ride, a trip to the Chateau Grand Traverse winery and visits to the lighthouses, marina's, etc. We skipped the 44 mile ride on the last day and took our bikes to Mackinac Island.

I can honestly say I'm ready for the hills of Philadelphia I'll be riding in a couple weeks

Here's a few pictures I took along the way.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Beverly....ternShoreTour2
__________________
=============================================================

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 11:32 AM   #2
tlc20010
The Grampster
 
tlc20010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gee, I dunno, Beverly. In all those photos, things look pretty flat to me

Congrats on a great ride. I lived in WMich for a while and know that just a few feet from the Lake, there are some BIG hills. Well done...and thanks for the great report!
__________________
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
--Ben Franklin
tlc20010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 12:45 PM   #3
DougG
Road Runner
 
DougG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Bikes: Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
Posts: 1,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've always wanted to take my own bike onto Mackinaw Island instead of riding one of those beat-up rentals. That way, I could also try riding up into the interior, where you really need a bike with some granny-gears!
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 02:49 PM   #4
Louis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 4,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good job Beverly. I'm glad your ankle didn't give you too much trouble. Did you guys ride the hills on Mackinac Is.?
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 02:52 PM   #5
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride
 
Jet Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Villa Incognito
Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
Posts: 2,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And they say the midwest is flat....
__________________
"Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer
Jet Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 03:41 PM   #6
jppe
Let's do a Century
 
jppe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Carolina
Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Posts: 6,625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Glad you had a great trip. Those tours can be a whole of fun. Did you camp or motel it?
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 04:31 PM   #7
Beverly
Senior Member ??
Thread Starter
 
Beverly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Englewood,Ohio
Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Posts: 5,094
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Good job Beverly. I'm glad your ankle didn't give you too much trouble. Did you guys ride the hills on Mackinac Is.?
We rode a few of the hills on the island. They looked like bumps in the road compared to the ones on the ride
__________________
=============================================================

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 04:33 PM   #8
Beverly
Senior Member ??
Thread Starter
 
Beverly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Englewood,Ohio
Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Posts: 5,094
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
Glad you had a great trip. Those tours can be a whole of fun. Did you camp or motel it?
This was my first time camping and I loved it. We only had rain one evening but even that wasn't a problem.....my tent didn't leak
__________________
=============================================================

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 06:05 PM   #9
MichiganMike
Senior Member
 
MichiganMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: St. Joseph, MI
Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I told you to be ready for some hills Beverly. I will be doing it in reverse in a few weeks. AfterI go around the lake (Clockwise), I'll follow your route backwards from Mackinaw City to Grand Haven, then on down to paradise. I thought you would enjoy it though, it's very scenic. Was the fruit stand at the top of the one hill open when you went through?

Congratulations.
MichiganMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 07:31 PM   #10
Beverly
Senior Member ??
Thread Starter
 
Beverly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Englewood,Ohio
Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Posts: 5,094
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
I told you to be ready for some hills Beverly. I will be doing it in reverse in a few weeks. AfterI go around the lake (Clockwise), I'll follow your route backwards from Mackinaw City to Grand Haven, then on down to paradise. I thought you would enjoy it though, it's very scenic. Was the fruit stand at the top of the one hill open when you went through?

Congratulations.
Yes, Cherry Point Market was open and I enjoyed one of their famous cherry turnovers. I could have gone for a couple but forced myself to stay with one

I was expecting hills but I was surprised to find so many of them. It seemed like we were either going up or down at all times and no flats
__________________
=============================================================

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 08:11 PM   #11
cgallagh
DoubleTrouble
 
cgallagh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vacaville, CA
Bikes: 06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
Posts: 599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beautiful photos. What a pretty place to ride. Glad you were not hurting to bad and made it through okay. Red Rider grew up not far from Philly. As she would say "It's a Hill, Get over it"
cgallagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 08:33 PM   #12
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes:
Posts: 12,323
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
I just returned from this week long tour and my only comment is.... "SW Ohio doesn't have any hills"
The ride description mentioned there would be some challenging climbs but they failed to tell you it was going to be every day. My Garmin has never seen so many 5-11% grades. The route followed the shoreline but constantly climbed from the beaches to the bluffs and ridges for some spectacular views.

This is a well organized ride with fantastic food and I would recommend it to anyone.....just be sure you're ready for climbing, climbing and more climbing. I had to skip riding on day 3 as my right leg and ankle started swelling. I guess I wasn't fully recovered from the cellulitis I contacted on the XOBA ride. A day of rest and heat pads solved the problem and I was able to ride the remainder of the trip. As it turned out this was a great day to skip as it contained the worst climbs of the route. One of our riders who has never walked a hill had to walk his bike up the last few feet on one of the climbs. If he quit a few feet from the top I probably would have needed to be dragged up that one

We had a wonderful time and were able to take in some of the side trips - a dune buggy ride, a trip to the Chateau Grand Traverse winery and visits to the lighthouses, marina's, etc. We skipped the 44 mile ride on the last day and took our bikes to Mackinac Island.

I can honestly say I'm ready for the hills of Philadelphia I'll be riding in a couple weeks

Here's a few pictures I took along the way.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Beverly....ternShoreTour2
I'm not surprised. Mrs. Road Fan and I have ridden around the Leelanaw and Old Mission Peninsulas, Glen Lake, and Crystal Lake in Beulah, and it can get hilly. Each time we visit a Lake Michigan town, we find significant bluffs (dune-based?) overlooking Lake Michigan, with roads that climb up and down them.

Good job! one day up and down Old Mission can knock me for a loop!

Road Fan
Road Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 08:42 PM   #13
Beverly
Senior Member ??
Thread Starter
 
Beverly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Englewood,Ohio
Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Posts: 5,094
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgallagh View Post
Beautiful photos. What a pretty place to ride. Glad you were not hurting to bad and made it through okay. Red Rider grew up not far from Philly. As she would say "It's a Hill, Get over it"
I'll be in Philly in a couple weeks to do the Livestrong ride. I rode it last year so I'm familar with those Philly hills and they will seem like a piece of cake after the shoreline tour
__________________
=============================================================

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 09:55 PM   #14
colorado dale
cycling for 50 plus yrs
 
colorado dale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Silverthorne/Lakewood, CO
Bikes: IF Crown Jewell
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
for a future ride check out triri in indiana organizers are out to prove indiana is not flat
(they rotate sections of state) the year they do NE IN it is pretty flat but otherwise you will find out that IN has hills
colorado dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-07, 06:12 AM   #15
Beverly
Senior Member ??
Thread Starter
 
Beverly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Englewood,Ohio
Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Posts: 5,094
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado dale View Post
for a future ride check out triri in indiana organizers are out to prove indiana is not flat
(they rotate sections of state) the year they do NE IN it is pretty flat but otherwise you will find out that IN has hills
TRIRI is on my to-do list. I live very close to Indiana but haven't done too much riding in the state. I've also looked at the Hilly Hundred but doubt I'll be doing it this year....I've had enough hills for one season
__________________
=============================================================

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-07, 07:38 AM   #16
colorado dale
cycling for 50 plus yrs
 
colorado dale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Silverthorne/Lakewood, CO
Bikes: IF Crown Jewell
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Other great rides coming up in area Old Ky Home Tour (louisville y'all) www.okht.org
Hope, In ride www.mustdorides.com

OKHT is in kenhilly so it is not flat Hope on the other time is fairly flat and they have a band at each
rest stop its just a good time ride
colorado dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-07, 09:01 AM   #17
Hermes 
Elite Rider
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: La Jolla, CA
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,815
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Great ride and pics. I hope you removed your cycling shoes while in Lake Michigan.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Cat: Killer
Hermes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-07, 10:30 AM   #18
DougG
Road Runner
 
DougG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Bikes: Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
Posts: 1,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
I will be doing it in reverse in a few weeks. AfterI go around the lake (Clockwise), I'll follow your route backwards from Mackinaw City to Grand Haven, then on down to paradise.
Huh? Paradise is in the U.P. last time I looked.
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-07, 11:55 AM   #19
LynnH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maupin, OR
Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the pics, looks like lots of fun and sounds like hard work. Congrats!
LynnH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:54 PM.