User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Helmet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought a Helmet

So I finally decided to go and pick up a helmet.

I am volunteering some time at a glider encampment for the Air Force Aux Civil Air Patrol. I thought that my Mountain Bike would be great for zipping around the airfield. Since I am one of the Squadron's Safety Officers, I figured that I should avoid the appearance of being a bad example and wear a helmet.

So I went to the LBS and picked up one of those dorky looking "Spiderman" style things.

I tried on a few but was having trouble finding one that looked goofy enough when one of the staff came to my aid: "We keep our ridiculous stock in the back."

He brought out a few choices and I selected the black "Specialized".

The darn thing cost more than a motorcycle helmet! It is styrofoam! ... with a thin plastic coating!...made in China!!!

At least it is lightweight and is unlikely to break my neck. (for those of you who don't know, a motorcycle helmet is a coin toss as to if it will help or hurt you) (also, with all the automobile head injuries, did you know that in many states it is illegal to wear a helmet in a car?)(I have helmet issues)

I found it interesting that, as of recently, bicycle helmets come in only a few sizes and have an adjustable headband sort of like a welder's helmet. That makes it easy to fit and change if you like... in fact, I think that I will change it now so that I can try it with a helmet sweat liner.

I shall go for a ride tomorrow and test it out.
    I pretend to like sex to get women in bed.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If nothing else, this ought to generate some comments. Interesting about helmets in cars...I wonder when a hat becomes a helmet. I don't know of an auto race driver who would think of going on a track without a helmet. There is a 2,000 entry sticky thread on this topic on the Advocacy and Safety Forum. The helmet issue is a closed topic for nearly everyone--some for, some against. Hard to change people's minds on this one.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of a helmet in a car! Other than a race car driver (who doesn't ride on the road) or someone military in a Humvee or something, I can't think of any reason to wear one.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think a construction hard-hat might be more applicable in your situation. But they're not so easy to come by and expensive to purchase.

I just purchased a new Giro Pneumo from Performance ($30 off + additional 10%) because my wife suddenly took a liking to my favorite helmet. After spending a week long bike trip in it, I love it.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree they cost way too much. It's nuts.
    They all seem to have the same chin straps and closure devices as well. There's gotta be a better way.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a wide range in prices for bicycle helmets. You can spend a lot if you like, but there are many perfectly good helmets for $35 or less. They have good ventilation and strapping and positioning systems far better than anything that was available a few years ago. I don't see a lot to complain about there.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkat View Post
    ...... I can't think of any reason to wear one.
    How about for preventing head injuries for drivers and passengers? (of course it is not allowed)

But, yes, that would just be silly. Sort of like my new bike helmet that provides about 1-1/4" of protection for the top of my head while leaving the rest exposed.

Still, I often wear shoes (instead of boots) that only protect the bottoms of my feet.
    I pretend to like sex to get women in bed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bravozulu View Post
    The darn thing cost more than a motorcycle helmet! It is styrofoam! ... with a thin plastic coating!...made in China!!!
    Sad to say that to some extent you're paying for fashion. I always try to buy helmets that are left over from last year's models. They're usually marked down a fair amount.
    Last edited by BSLeVan; 08-14-07 at 09:36 AM.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reality of helmets, on bikes, motorcycles or cars are that they will only protect you in a very small set of situations, mainly limited speed impacts. However, any type of head injury is problematic so for me I am willing to sacrifice the comfort of not wearing one for the small amount of protection it provides.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The darn thing cost more than a motorcycle helmet!
    My motorcycle helmet cost $240, my bicycle helmet cost $105.
    Maybe you are exaggerating to make some sort of point.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post
    The reality of helmets, on bikes, motorcycles or cars are that they will only protect you in a very small set of situations, mainly limited speed impacts. However, any type of head injury is problematic so for me I am willing to sacrifice the comfort of not wearing one for the small amount of protection it provides.
    What is the basis for saying that helmets will only protect you on bikes, motorcycles or cars in a very small set of situations, mainly limited speed impacts? I would consider this equipment part of a "layered defense" where the sum of the protection is made up of all the parts ie helmet + seatbelt + roll/crush protection etc.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's about the size of it for me too. Well said. Likely will never receive any benefit from wearing one, but still willing to on the off chance it will be needed and just might save my noggin and my family some heartache.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I the only one who thinks bike helmets look cool??

I wear one because I believe it will protect my head in some situations, maybe not all, but some protection is better than none, and a brain injury doesn't require a severe crushing blow to the head. Just a bump on the noggin will do. I've seen head injury patients and I don't want to go there..........
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did you let them talk you into buying? I have two helmets, I keep one at work. I paid $28 and $33 for them, both brand names (Giro & Bell) and both from LBSs (not Wallyworld).
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks bike helmets look cool??

Yes.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am volunteering some time at a glider encampment for the Air Force Aux Civil Air Patrol. I thought that my Mountain Bike would be great for zipping around the airfield. Since I am one of the Squadron's Safety Officers, I figured that I should avoid the appearance of being a bad example and wear a helmet.
    Also note that if this is on a USAF installation that on most, Helmets are Mandatory Equipment while riding a bike.

Gawd, I sound like an Old First Sergeant......
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    What is the basis for saying that helmets will only protect you on bikes, motorcycles or cars in a very small set of situations, mainly limited speed impacts? I would consider this equipment part of a "layered defense" where the sum of the protection is made up of all the parts ie helmet + seatbelt + roll/crush protection etc.
    Probably I should not have lumped cars into this statement. Helmets protection in cars depends a lot on what type of car you are racing Nascar, F1 etc. I guess the point I was trying to make is that on bikes and on motorcycles the majority of injury occurs when you come off the bike. If it is at high speed the helmet will not protect your neck or the rest of your body and damage there will probably be severe. In lower speed impacts your neck and body will probably survive the impact but a small head bang can result in a serious problem. Of course you can trip on a curb and hit your head walking just as well. This is why a lot of people just don't feel the head injury risk in cycling is enough to bother wearing a helmet. There are studies that agree, but in the end we each decide which risks we find are acceptable.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going back into the 70's and I was Kart racing. Helmets were compulsory but there were 2 deaths within a short space of time and both head injuries. The post mortems on both came to the conclusion that both drivers had an underlying problem in that the Brain was not protected sufficiently in these two people- by the thinness of their skull structure. They could have been killed by walking into a door.

I am a helmet believer and I have had a couple of accidents where headaches have occurred afterwards- Whether the helmet saved Further damage or concussion- I do not know but I have had a couple of incidents where the face and Skull have been saved from wearing away on the tarmac. The helmet took the brunt of the Scraping and it is surprising how little it takes to wear away styrofoam at 10 mph on black Ice.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gear View Post
    1. IONOS HELMET (GIR113/MED WHSL) 1 @ $225.00 - Backordered 09/05/07.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe I would have had at least a massive headache, if not worse, had I not been wearing my helmet last week. My head hit the pavement hard enough for the road to leave some impressions in the plastic cover. I discovered a couple days later that the side of my head that impacted was actually a little sore, as though it was bruised.

So yeah, I'm in favor of helmets. And +1 on your last sentence.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The helmet I just cracked in my freak stick in the spokes accident was a giro that cost $25 a few years ago. I have been riding consistently for the past 15 yrs and this is the first accident I have had where I hit my head - but this one time I landed directly on my head after flipping over the handlebars. I had a big bruise on the part of my head where I hit first even with (or possibly because of) the helmet. Sometimes I think they make the helmets crack easily so that you are not tempted to keep using them and you have to buy another one. Perhaps my head would not have been really injured but merely bruised and scraped - but I am kind of glad I didn't test that theory. I now have a bell helmet ($29.00) for road riding and a $15 costco helmet with reflective stuff built in for my commute (come home in the dark).
    Last edited by farrellcollie; 08-16-07 at 07:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gear View Post
    You can buy a motorcycle helmet for under $50; one of mine was about $30. Of course, my bicycle helmet cost about $30 as well.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only good for 'low impact speeds'?
    Have had couple higher speed crashes (38 and 35 mph) and hitting pavement at that speed; I would not consider that 'low impact!' Did my usual paratrooper roll over the bars and in the one instance cracked the helmet. Considered it cheap insurance!
    Know of one rider 'brain dead' after a helmetless crash. Not a situation to be envied for his family.
    If you do not wish to wear a helmet, that's your business . . .
    Wearing a helmet is no 'guarantee' but it improves survival odds.

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably I should not have lumped cars into this statement. Helmets protection in cars depends a lot on what type of car you are racing Nascar, F1 etc. I guess the point I was trying to make is that on bikes and on motorcycles the majority of injury occurs when you come off the bike. If it is at high speed the helmet will not protect your neck or the rest of your body and damage there will probably be severe. In lower speed impacts your neck and body will probably survive the impact but a small head bang can result in a serious problem. Of course you can trip on a curb and hit your head walking just as well. This is why a lot of people just don't feel the head injury risk in cycling is enough to bother wearing a helmet. There are studies that agree, but in the end we each decide which risks we find are acceptable.
    FWIW, on Feb. 18th of this year, I got clipped by a trailer towed by a pickup and went down on my left side at 40 mph. Thanks to my helmet, the left side of my pretty head remained intact, with no loss of consciousness or concussion.

It was the second helmet I've broken in the last 15 years - in both cases, the helmets performed admirably and my head remained unscathed.
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farrellcollie View Post
    The helmet I just cracked in my freak stick in the spokes accident ...
    I don't even want to know how you got your "freak stick" in your spokes.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast