Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Heat turns cyclist into Vampire.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-07, 08:25 AM
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The heat in Alabama has caused me to start riding at night. Triple digit temps are just too hot for me and I must ride. I started at 9:00 PM and did 20 miles so I was back home at 11:45. I had the Rails to Trails MUP all to myself, which was a wonderful experience. I just wonder if anyone will think I've become a Vampire!
Old 08-12-07, 09:02 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I tried that the other night, but I got too nervous. Most of the roads were too busy, and I couldn't see the city streets well enough to dodge glass and debris. Towards the end of the ride, I was nervous about drunk drivers.
Old 08-12-07, 09:05 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Do you have many critters out on the MUP at night.
Old 08-12-07, 09:37 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Last week I sent my pair of DiNotte headlights in for upgrade. I waited as long as I could because I enjoy my evening rides. I'm missing them mightily right now. They allegedly shipped back on Friday, so I'm hoping they'll arrive on Monday.

I enjoy seeing the critters at twilight and after dark. I've been monitoring the antler growth on a buck for the past couple of months--at least eight points as of last Monday. I even saw a whole family of skunks along the MUP a couple of weeks ago. And I much prefer the nighttime's bunnies to the daytime's squirrels and woodchucks. They seem to be smarter about how to get out of the way too.

Back on the streets, I actually feel safer after dark. I know my lights can be seen, and headlights on the road alert me to approaching traffic, which is especially helpful when passing the ends of driveways, side streets and blind alleys. It's a little extra warning I that don't have during the day. Likewise, my lights alert drivers in the same way.
Old 08-13-07, 10:58 AM
Scott

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Do you have many critters out on the MUP at night.
Lots of critters! The only ones I get scared of are the skunks!
Old 08-13-07, 03:26 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What kind of lights are you running?
Old 08-13-07, 03:43 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I might just have to give that a try...........
Old 08-13-07, 06:12 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Nothing wrong with night riding at all. Nothing beats an evening summer spin on my fixie. Lights are a must, of course, as is clothing that is visible at night. I have several white jerseys I bought some years back, and they're still in good condition. You get the fun of riding in the warm air, without having to battle the sun all the time.

Something you'll need that is easy to overlook: Bug repellent. In this age of bug-bourne tropical illnesses
you need it. I use Cutters Outdoorsman. The stuff is something like 30% DEET. It seems to work very well, the bugs leave me alone. A few drops of this stuff goes a long way.

Welcome to night riding.
Old 08-13-07, 06:27 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Fortunately, it gets down to about 60F during the early morning here. So, instead of facing 100F temps during the day, I ride early, about 6 to 6:30 for 20-30 miles daily. I even wear a light windbreaker in the am. I did some night riding a few years ago, and it was fun.
Old 08-14-07, 09:18 AM
Scott

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
What kind of lights are you running?
I'm running a Mag-Lite 2AA 3-watt LED flashlight and 4 Blinkies. 1 red on the rear as a taillight, 2 amber, 1 on each side of the front of the rear rack, and 1 amber beside the flashlight as the flashlight is not a bicycle specific light so it does not provide light to the sides limiting your visibility to cross traffic.

BTW That 3-watt Mag-Lite provides more light than any self-contained bicycle specific light and will run 2.5 hours on 2 AA batteries. The beam is also adjustable. You need to spend over $75 to obtain a brighter light, deal with external battery packs and considerably more weight. I removed a 20-watt halogen light and battery pack with that flashlight and I'm still satisfied with it.
Old 08-14-07, 09:22 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
my choice too. I can't hack the heat . I have a niterider Evolution lighting system. plus I always carry a small backup. I have two batteries for my Nitrider system. I can be out for like 3-1/2 hours.
Old 08-14-07, 03:27 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
my choice too. I can't hack the heat . I have a niterider Evolution lighting system. plus I always carry a small backup. I have two batteries for my Nitrider system. I can be out for like 3-1/2 hours.
It is that time of year for me when the lights have got to go on the bike- I am starting out at the same time in the evening- but the ride is lasting into the twilight zone of Dusk. Only a week or so and it will be dark by the time I get back. Use a Powerfull lamp for riding with but always have a Cateye LED just in case I forget to charge the Battery. Only One battery but it can last for 8 hours in low power usage. And I will have to put the second rear lamp on the bike for safety- I may realise when the front lamps pack up on me but I never look at the rear ones.

As to Mup riding- Try to leave them alone at night- Too many Walkers in dark clothing that keep appearing under the front wheel. Mind you- Offroading at night is good fun- Providing you have the lights for your speed. And other than the wildlife- you do have the trails to yourself.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-14-07, 05:04 PM
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am starting to ride early in the morning. I can't go fast with the lights I have so I focus on riding hills.