Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tucson Trip Golf Pics for Hermes and others

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07, 06:37 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I was able to squeeze in both my bike and my golf clubs on the trip moving my daughter. After I rode my bike 4 hours on the Mt Lemmon climb, I helped my daughter for a few hours and then played golf in the late afternoon. The next day I played golf early in the morning at Arizona National, helped my daughter some more and then played at another course just outside Tucson called Del Lago-which was also on my way towards El Paso off I10. It was a long day-especially with the emotions of leaving my daughter a couple thousand miles from home.

Also, after driving hard for two more days I was really ready for a break so I found a fabulous course in Nashville called the Hermitage. It was easier to find a golf course than finding 30-40 miles of a bike route while traveling!

I met some terrific folks-just like you would out on the roads and had a great time at all the courses I played.

I have to share my Az National story. I played with two members, Bob and Frank. They are 50+ and very successful in their careers and a lot of fun to be around. They had a tradition of taking a swig of Scotch from Frank's flask after anyone in the group scored a birdie or better on a hole. They were delightful guys and pretty decent golfers but you'd never see them playing on the tube!! Bob managed to get one birdie and I had an incredible round that included 4 birdies and an eagle-on a course I'd never seen. On an eagle, which is 3 strokes on a par 5, you are allowed to take two swigs of Scotch!! On one of my birdies, a 4 on a par 5, I had a lost ball so I only hit the ball 3 times...... so we bent the rules and said we could take two swigs on that one as well because of a 4 with a lost ball being such a rare feat!!

I'm not a Scotch drinker but I went along with it as we were having way too much fun!!

Okay, to the pics:

A par 4 from the tee box with the moutains north of Tucson in the background:

A par 3 from the tee. Look closely and you will see a ball right behind the hole. I thought I was going to get a hole in one!! The next picture shows how close it is.

I took a picture up at the green and from the angle the ball came across-it had to be close! A birdie and another swig of Scotch!!

A par 3 with Tucson in the background-what views!!

This is the par 5 I eagled-number 18. I hit driver 3 iron to 12 feet and made the putt. You might be able to see the flag tucked just over the trap.

Here I am at the Par 5 green where I made a birdie with a lost ball. You can see Bob in the bottom right had corner of the picture.

A Sagauro cactus with bird holes and mostly golf holes beside the green on a par 3.

I played with a fellow named Vinny at Del Lago. A neat guy that came into Tucson in 1967 to teach English at Univ of Az and has never left the area.

Hole 18 at Del Lago with mountains in the background.

Number 18 at The Hermitage in Nashville-a self portrait with the camera on the canopy of the golf cart. This was a par 5 and I hit up pin high and made birdie. A great way to close out the week!!

Old 08-14-07, 08:01 PM
Hwy 40 Blue

Bikes: A Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe and a Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a kindred avid golfer, this all looks great to me, jppe! I've played Tucson National as well, and Randolph North and South, and The Gallery, but not Del Lago, I'm afraid. (We have friends in Tucson and visit about once a year.) I've always wanted to ride up Mt. Lemmon -- how was that? Did you ride early?
Old 08-14-07, 08:15 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great pictures! I have a cycling friend who lives in the Tuscon area and he's always talking about his rides....guess I need to take him and his wife up on the invitation to visit and do some riding with them

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 08-15-07, 05:38 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
This would make a great MTB resort!
Old 08-15-07, 06:00 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Better keep it on the fairway!
Old 08-15-07, 06:58 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by Hwy 40 Blue
As a kindred avid golfer, this all looks great to me, jppe! I've played Tucson National as well, and Randolph North and South, and The Gallery, but not Del Lago, I'm afraid. (We have friends in Tucson and visit about once a year.) I've always wanted to ride up Mt. Lemmon -- how was that? Did you ride early?
Randolph North was also a course I played but certainly wasn't a desert course!! I think you'd love Del Lago-it's only $33 so a really good value and only about 15 miles south of Tucson. I did a post on the Mt Lemmon climb. You'd love it. It's a steady climb uphill but nothing steep at all. The views along the way are really super. Az National is very tricky off the tee. Several holes are blind tee shots (especially the back tees) and I was just aiming and hoping and got lucky most of the time. Take a few extra balls as well-it doesn't take much to put some in the desert!!!

You can park closer to Tanque Verde off Catalina where there are shops and add 3-4 miles of very gentle climbing to get the legs warmed up as well. Excellent bath path over to the first mile marker. I suspect there are lots of folks on this climb on weekends.
Old 08-15-07, 06:59 AM
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Jet Travis
Better keep it on the fairway!
Amen. While most fairways are pretty generous any balls outside the rough line are pretty much history. If someone sprays their ball it can be a long and frustrating day.
Old 08-15-07, 08:50 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Amen. While most fairways are pretty generous any balls outside the rough line are pretty much history. If someone sprays their ball it can be a long and frustrating day.
Great pics...I am envious. I would have to hit my stinger 2 iron off the team most of the day.