User Tag List

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WI Trip: Visit to Trek Assembly Plant

The Whitewater assembly plant was a most excellent tour. Below is our guide, Brian (rides for Van Dessel), showing the kids the '08 Madone about to be released the next day at a dealer show. He said they'd sell 20,000 of these. We watched the line assemble bikes and wheels (Bontrager is a Trek name now, as is Lemond, Klein, Gary Fisher and some others). Very cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And kids must touch things, so Brian just stepped back.

Ultimately Mitch decided he had to have it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've thought about doing that. Didn't even stop by during the 3 years that my daughter attended UW-Whitewater and I there once or twice every month.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forget to mention... We talked to Brian about having a bike worth more than your car. He described his racing buddies as normally showing up at races with $50K worth of racing gear on top of a $2K car.

(I'm posting to my own thread. Is that like talking to myself?)

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg View Post

Only if you hear voices in your head saying "Buy me, buy me..."!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

Ol' Paint
    My Bikes
    90s(?)Bianchi Advantage, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix, 80s(?) Raleigh Gran Sport mixte, '95 Schwinn Clear Creek, '88(?) Fuji, '69 Schwinn Flyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He described his racing buddies as normally showing up at races with $50K worth of racing gear on top of a $2K car.
    Priorities are priorities, after all.
    "In my cathedral,
    colored glass holds no candle to
    sunlight through trees."
    -- Leon Briggs

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When someone accuses me of talking to myself I often tell them I'm the only one who gives me the correct answers
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always wanted to do this tour. Do they offer a discount on a new Madone
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody gets a free Madone ;-)

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Whitewater assembly plant was a most excellent tour. Below is our guide, Brian (rides for Van Dessel), showing the kids the '08 Madone about to be released the next day at a dealer show. He said they'd sell 20,000 of these. We watched the line assemble bikes and wheels (Bontrager is a Trek name now, as is Lemond, Klein, Gary Fisher and some others). Very cool.
    Thanks for the report and photos. Did you have to arrange this tour? If so how did you go about it? I think that such a tour would be really a kick and would like to do it. Maybe we could do a 50+ group tour. Dothey build most of their bikes there or just frames? Any idea how much is done off shore?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trek offers tours of their facilities in Waterloo and Whitewater, Wisconsin

http://www.trekbikes.com/faq/questions.php?questionid=2
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010 View Post
    Thanks for the report and photos. Did you have to arrange this tour? If so how did you go about it? I think that such a tour would be really a kick and would like to do it. Maybe we could do a 50+ group tour. Dothey build most of their bikes there or just frames? Any idea how much is done off shore?
    You have to call 3 to 5 days in advance (same for Waterloo I presume) so they can arrange for a tour guide. We just happened to call on a morning when a small group had already arranged in advance. Our 20 people kinda swamped the original 4 (They like to keep them less than 15 people). Whitewater is assembly only for their high end stuff. Waterloo is where they make the CF frames. Most of Trek's line is made in China for cost competitive reasons.

My Bikes
    Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody gets a free Madone ;-)
    LOL... Last year I toured the Toyota assembly plant in Toyota City (Aichi Prefecture near Nagoya, Japan). I was hoping for one of the 'rejects' as my take home prize, but every car they produced that day was damn near perfect, so no freebees.