Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Without bad luck, I'd have none at all...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Without bad luck, I'd have none at all...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-07, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
You have the love of your daughter and friends. You're able to ride a bike. You have a lot.
Old 08-15-07, 07:35 AM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for the bad luck. Glad daughter is ok. Keep on digging--life is good. Think of the alternative.
Old 08-15-07, 07:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm generally a pretty optimistic person but, like everyone, there are times that get me down. I remember a line from an old Who song that goes, "This is no social crisis, it's just another tricky day" I look around and see so many others that are dealing with problems so much more serious that mine that I just look up and say Thanks. Hang in there...
Old 08-15-07, 08:35 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I lost my wallet out of my unzipped wedge a few years ago. Someone found it and called me. I gave them a nice reward. Perhaps, just perhaps, yours will be found and returned.

Around here you can go to the DMV and have a replacement driver's license processed on-the-spot, picture and all. Don't know about CA. My wife had to do that recently when she had her wallet stolen.

As far as bad luck and things going bad, you don't really want to know my story (actually, you probably already have). Just that, given everything, this morning I am alive and well, took a loonngg walk instead of a ride this am, and I am typing this message to you. Things WILL get better, and this truly is a bump (although a large bump) and you will get through it just fine. You will figure things out.

BTW - do you have a passport? ThaT WILL WORK

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-15-07 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-15-07, 09:20 AM

Bikes: Giant TCR Comp 1 Road Bike, Specialized Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
A few days ago my daughter had a car accident and totaled the car I bought her four months ago. She is okay, thank God. The car is wasted.
I am by nature a pessimist so maybe I shouldn’t be the one giving advice but here goes . . . Your daughter is okay! It could have been a lot worse.
Old 08-15-07, 09:24 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DG, I'm sorry about your series of mishaps, and so glad your daughter is OK. I'm wondering if you retraced your route to find your wallet.

When I was going through a VERY hard time years ago, someone told me that it's OK to feel sad, that don't need to feel good to do something, I just need to do it. That enabled me to stop wasting energy trying to feel good, and to just be polite and friendly to others (that doesn't mean smiling all day or being the life of the party) and to just put one foot in front of the other and get up, go to work, and do whatever I needed to do, daily. In time, it passed, but that single piece of practical advice has been invaluable to me in dark times.

I hope things will be brighter for you very soon. We'll miss you, and your humor too!
Old 08-15-07, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And if I find the keys, I'm gonna come over to your house and eat all your food and drink all your wine and steal your women. See? It could be worse....

Last edited by Terrierman; 08-15-07 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-15-07, 10:40 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about these latest troubles. Things never seem to get any easier, huh.

The point made earlier about not carrying a wallet on a bike is a good one. I keep an ID in my bike bag, but leave my wallet at home.
Old 08-15-07, 11:04 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
An early memory of mine is from my parents "party room" in the basement. A joke placard read, "Everyone said 'cheer up --things could be worse', so I cheered up and, sure enough, things got worse"

It has strangely given me a continued stoic perspective on life all this time. When nothing seems right, all you really have to do is keep going, one step in front of the other. Anna Nalick did a song called "2:AM (Breathe)" that seems to say the same thing - just breathe (and keep posting to this forum. We mostly enjoy it.)
Old 08-15-07, 11:16 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Progress report:

My mood has lifted as I just got busy taking care of everything. Yes, I retraced my ride last evening but no joy.

Called the CC companies; they're mailing new cards. Went to DMV this morning -- they only issue a paper interim license (no photo) and the new license will come in a few weeks. Called Southwest Airlines and they said I should be okay with my expired license (thank goodness I saved that for some reason -- it expired in 1999!), and with the interim license.

Next I have to buy a new wallet and get keys made.

I've learned some valuable lessons the hard way. When the dust settles on the keys and wallet issues, I will do several things differently: ID for the bike, not license, scan of all my wallet cards so I know immediately who to call, and extra copies of the keys, hidden from thieves but accessible to me. Shame on me because I knew all this stuff already, but fell into the "it can't happen to me" trap.

I suppose I should generalize my lesson and apply it to wills, living wills, out of date beneficiaries, you name it! I mean, how many wake up calls should it take?

Given all that COULD have happened, I consider myself inconvenienced and very lucky. Perhaps I have good luck after all!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-15-07, 11:21 AM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love your attitude, Gary. Just think of the guy you were when you posted this: https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/112457-just-had-post-something.html

and then who you are today.........

I'm holding you in the Light, as we Quakers say.
Old 08-15-07, 11:25 AM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tlc20010
Love your attitude, Gary. Just think of the guy you were when you posted this: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=112457

and then who you are today.........

I'm holding you in the Light, as we Quakers say.
Thank you for that link, it was a great memory and helps me reframe. I sometimes feel so stoooopid when I forget the obvious life lessons over and over and over. Like that this wallet and keys thing is SO small stuff.

Anyway, so far ain't met a problem that can't be made smaller, at least, by a good bike ride.

Old 08-15-07, 11:27 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Super going DG. From all bad things an opportunity springs to find a better way. Now I'm going to go and do the same thing with the cards in my wallet....
Old 08-15-07, 11:51 AM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DG, I am very glad things are looking better to you today! Also, you and BP are a couple of my favorite posters on this forum!
Old 08-15-07, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Statistically your "luck" is no worse than anyones. It always seems that you get in line to pay for something and the guy in front of you has an item with no price tag or whatever.

As to the travel and picuture ID. Do you have a passport? About as offical as it gets.
Old 08-15-07, 12:00 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for that link, it was a great memory and helps me reframe. I sometimes feel so stoooopid when I forget the obvious life lessons over and over and over. Like that this wallet and keys thing is SO small stuff.

Anyway, so far ain't met a problem that can't be made smaller, at least, by a good bike ride.
+1 on the riding

In case you want wallet suggestions, I direct you to https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=wallet

Why guess who posted there????

Anyway the wallet is at https://all-ett.com/

I got one an really like it a lot. Fits easily into a jersey pocket. and is thin, thin in a pants pocket.
Old 08-15-07, 12:07 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Aiee! The first thing gets you off balance and it takes the second and third to show you that you are off. Been there done that.

You have my empathy.

A little meditating or quiet time to rediscover your center will help. If it's any help, I've gotten onto planes using my Costco membership card. Admittedly that was pre 9/11.

Good luck to you. I hope your wallet turns up.
Old 08-15-07, 12:17 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Given all that COULD have happened, I consider myself inconvenienced and very lucky. Perhaps I have good luck after all!

Now, about that loan....
Old 08-15-07, 12:46 PM
Cantre Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Without bad luck, I'd have none at all..."

I'm sorry but when I read your title a song went thru my brain.

“Gloom, despair and agony on me
Deep, dark depression
Excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck
I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair and agony on me”

Can you tell my parents loved HEE HAW in my formulative years?

Good luck with all your troubles, they are only temporary!

TJ
Old 08-15-07, 12:51 PM
Life in the Slow Lane

Bikes: Giant, Iron Horse, Shogun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
I found a wallet while riding just around the corner from my house. I must have been the first person to go by. It had $260 and credit cards. No where in his wallet was an address or phone number.
I wonder if you couldn't call the phone # on the credit card(s) and report that you found them.
I'm sure the card company would be able to contact the owner; maybe even give him/her your phone number to contact. I don't know how much info they want people to share in that kind of situation.

I've always read articles on safety/theft that tell you not to keep your home address anywhere near your keys, to avoid break-ins. Pretty sad.

Sorry to hear about all your troubles, DG. As if the car wreck weren't bad enough. You might have trouble replacing your credit cards before you travel. When I lost my credit card (only 1, thank God) I had to wait 8-10 days for the new one to be mailed.

If you get into this situation, you might be able to get by with asking for a new bank card (debit/credit).
Sometimes those can be mailed to you faster than a "regular" credit card.

But HOPING that somebody finds your stuff and tries to return it first!
Old 08-15-07, 12:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnH
DG, I am very glad things are looking better to you today! Also, you and BP are a couple of my favorite posters on this forum!
Hey Gary! We can still pull chicks!!!

Old 08-15-07, 12:56 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Turtle Jack
"Without bad luck, I'd have none at all..."

I'm sorry but when I read your title a song went thru my brain.

“Gloom, despair and agony on me
Deep, dark depression
Excessive misery
I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair and agony on me”

Can you tell my parents loved HEE HAW in my formulative years?

Good luck with all your troubles, they are only temporary!

TJ
That is depressing.

You could have remembered:

"Born under a bad sign
I've been down since I began to crawl
I wouldn't have no luck at all"
Old 08-15-07, 03:20 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie

Woohoo!

Old 08-15-07, 03:53 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie

Around here, we have to sometimes pull a calf. Chicks come out of eggs and don't require no pullin.
Old 08-15-07, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know, I was just thinking maybe it would do you some good to count your blessings and think about some of the burdens that others have to bear that you don't. I mean you could have to spend all your money on college books for your lovely daughter or something... Thank goodness you don't have THAT to fret about!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.