Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   What To Do With the $$$ When You Sell A Bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/333481-what-do-when-you-sell-bike.html)

Digital Gee 08-15-07 03:31 PM

What To Do With the $$$ When You Sell A Bike

I sold a bike or two recently and stashed the cash in a drawer, thinking I would use it for something special for cycling, like a nice jersey, or lights, or whatever.

Today I had the "honor" of taking my daughter to the college bookstore for her first semester books. My oh my.

Three Hundred and Sixty Five Dollars for USED books. And we still need two more.

My oh my.

swan652 08-15-07 03:34 PM

Whew! Good thing you didn't get those clipless pedals...

BSLeVan 08-15-07 03:40 PM

Number 3 I believe.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=333046

You should be done for a while.

card 08-15-07 03:40 PM

Fortunately, both my daughters are 90% independent. Youngest still working on masters, but offsets a lot of the expense by teaching undergrad classes at the college she attends.

I'm single and have extremely little debt----------------soooooooooooooooooooo------------every stinking penny goes right back into bikes.

As a matter of fact, next week, I pick up a new bent and have 2 DF bikes sold and can sell a third if I say yes. I can't decide if 2 bikes will be enough to cover the different types of riding I think I will be doing the next several years.

ps: the new bike is white because that's the only acceptable color I could get within a reasonable time....yuk, yuk, yuk

stapfam 08-15-07 03:40 PM

Wrap the pages in celophane and next year- They should still have resale value.

OR

Teach your daughter the economics of being broke- My daughter used to plead poverty to the previous years Students and buy the books from them cheaper than the S/H bookshop. Then at the end of the year she found a Mug of a student the year below her and sold the books at a vast profit.

She is still a Tight wad- and does not spend any of her money if she can help it- She earns more than me and is "Trying" to spend my money on "Her" wedding quicker than I can earn it. She is not succeeding.

maddmaxx 08-15-07 04:10 PM

People pay you money for a bike?! :)

Artkansas 08-15-07 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 5076404)
I sold a bike or two recently.

No! Not the Ruby!!!!!!! ;)

Terrierman 08-15-07 04:32 PM

Wow, it's good to see your luck has changed....

Yen 08-15-07 04:46 PM

Coulda been worse.... someone could have broken into your place and stolen that $$$. Ask me how I know. :o :cry:

wrafl 08-15-07 05:58 PM

So what are you riding these days if you sold some bikes? What happened to the Ruby? Or was it the Giant that you sold again?

robtown 08-15-07 06:00 PM

Bike money! I've bought a Paramount, Garmin 305 GPS, bells, jerseys, gloves, mirrors, tires, glasses, cycling shoes / boots, used CF TT bars, simichrome, grease/oil, bike stand, more bikes and parts to build bikes.

MichiganMike 08-15-07 06:00 PM

I have three in college this year so I feel your pain. I wish they would all have the same majors, then we'd be able to recycle the books. At least the bookstore here buys them back at the end of each semester. Of course for about half of what we paid for them.

Tom Bombadil 08-15-07 06:15 PM

I have found that anytime one has extra money, expenses will pop up to relieve you of it. It doesn't matter if it is $200, $500, $1000, or $3000.

This fall is the first time in 10 years that I have no children in college, having up to 3 in at times. But do I have an extra $10,000 or $15,000 to spend? Of course not. I have a $4,000 estimate on a new floor in our kitchen and dinette, a $1000-$1200 car repair waiting for attention, my daughter #4 is planning a wedding for next Spring, my garage door is starting to fall off, etc.

At times it can be frustrating, but I try to keep the mindset that at least I'm able to pay all of these bills.

Sure wouldn't mind getting a bit further ahead of the game.

Beverly 08-15-07 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 5077617)
I have found that anytime one has extra money, expenses will pop up to relieve you of it. It doesn't matter if it is $200, $500, $1000, or $3000.

Ain't that the truth. I really think my car and house sense when there's extra money in the checking account and break down to drain the account:( Right now my water heater is giving me hints it's about to take a chunk out of the checking account.

dashngracie 08-15-07 08:52 PM

Should she be working toward degree at University in which a socratic method is employed - look for the used boks with many notes in margin. "Book Briefing" was invaluable in Law school and was well worth the time to look through a stack of "used books" .

WillisB 08-16-07 04:51 AM

My older boy just had $521 worth of dental work and still needs more! Waaaaaaa! :cry:

maddmaxx 08-16-07 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 5077617)

This fall is the first time in 10 years that I have no children in college, having up to 3 in at times. But do I have an extra $10,000 or $15,000 to spend? Of course not. I have a $4,000 estimate on a new floor in our kitchen and dinette, a $1000-$1200 car repair waiting for attention, my daughter #4 is planning a wedding for next Spring, my garage door is starting to fall off, etc.

At times it can be frustrating, but I try to keep the mindset that at least I'm able to pay all of these bills.

Sure wouldn't mind getting a bit further ahead of the game.

The wedding of a daughter is worse than a boat. The expenses end when you give a boat away

BluesDawg 08-16-07 07:33 AM

I try to quickly spend any $ from selling bikes or bike parts on another bike or more bike parts before any of this other stuff can come up and take the $. It happens anyway, but at least I get new bike stuff.

cranky old dude 08-16-07 07:35 AM

Yep.

Got three in college also. Two of the schools use quarters instead of
semesters.....that's over $600.00 worth of books every ten weeks.

Let's see now $900.00 + in Sept. , $600.00+ in Nov, $300.00+ in Jan.
$600.00+ in Feb.

Oh my is putting it mildly.....:(