User Tag List

My Bikes
    Miyata, Fuji
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I need wider shoes, OW!

Well I am about 1 week from the "Hotter n' Hell 100" ride, and come up with an serious infected little toe after my 55 mile ride yesterday. My toe was a little sore when I started with it covered in Moleskin, then it was a mess of puss and blood when I finished. Foot started turning red, so went to the Doc today and got some antibiotics. Hope it is better before the ride, but I think I am gonna have to cut out a hole in my right shoe for this sore spot to stick out of! Man it hurts!!!!

So I guess I need some wider shoes when I do 200+ miles per week like I have been doing training for this ride.

So the magic question is, which shoes come in wider sizes?
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sidi and Lake make wide width shoes.

Have you ruled out other causes? A wrinkle in your socks, seam on the socks, etc. Would a pair in a half size larger give you ample room for the longer rides?
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sidi Megas.

Paid the price for them, never looked back.

Violin guitar mandolin
    My Bikes
    Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really can't handle lateral pressure on my toes. I end up getting slightly large shoes, then putting a nice footbed in. And carving the underside of the footbed to give my little toes room. Works well for me. In the winter, I can pull the footbed out and wear thick socks. The custom fit from carving a foam footbed is well worth the trouble for me. I'm riding Side Genius? Think that's the one. The fancy Sidi. Probably last generation rather than current. Very happy with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by axelfox View Post
    Sidi Megas.

Paid the price for them, never looked back.
    +1

Over 25 thousand miles on my pair...

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No new shoes needed!
    Mark the spot on shoe toebox where you have the pressure. Get an exacto knife/razor blade and cut a '+' through the leather/material. Works just fine.

My Bikes
    Miyata, Fuji
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    No new shoes needed!
    Mark the spot on shoe toebox where you have the pressure. Get an exacto knife/razor blade and cut a '+' through the leather/material. Works just fine.
    Thanks for the GREAT idea!! I was gonna cut a hole with an exaco but your idea for an immediate fix is better!! I could always make the X a hole!! I am sure not gonna change shoes now before the HH100!!
    I just hope my foot goes down enough with the antibiodics I just started, the whole damn thing is swollen now!! I couldn't get my foot in the show now if I tried hard and could handle the pain!! But I got a week, and I think my training will hold for a few days.
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Halfast,

I know how you feel. I'm doing the same Hotter N Hell Hundred, and just got a summer cold which has given me the worst bronchitis I've had in years. I'm going to gut it out and see if I can hack and spit my way through a hundred miles. Good luck to you and your foot. Here's a tip: don't ride too close behind me Saturday.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Halfast - you could just cut off the part of your foot that is the tight part!

You might try sandals. My original Shimano shoes were a bit narrow but usable. Got some Sandals th9s year and haven't put on the regular ones since!

My Bikes
    Miyata, Fuji
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I cut a little "Trap Door" over the place where the seeping mess is, and tried the shoe. I think it is gonna work. I am going out for the last real training ride tomorrow if the rain holds off, for about 65 miles.
    It really does suck when ya train for 3-4 months for an event and then something screws it up at the last moment like it has for Bud and me!! This is "El Toro Poo Poo!" But we will prevail!!