I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plan B

Well, now that Plan A is over, it's time for Plan B.

Plan A was help my daughter buy a late model reliable used car, which turned out to be a 2002 Ford Focus, and I keep driving my 2000 Avalon, with just 82,000 miles on it (I'm the original owner).

But the Focus is now being scrapped after the accident, and I'm back to square one. This time, I'm thinking of getting ME the next vehicle and turning the Avalon over to her.

But I don't know nuthin' 'bout no new (or late model) cars. Problem is I don't care much about cars and certainly don't lust after one. So I thought perhaps you fine folks could make some suggestions?

What appeals to me

Something reliable
    Good gas mileage
    Basic "luxuries" like remote controls, electric windows, some form of stereo, a/c, etc.
    An easy way to transport the bike (currently I have a trunk mounted rack which I have a love/hate relationship with, but I could continue to use it).

What else would be nice

A vehicle that's an age appropriate chick magnet.

I also think now and then about getting into camping or back packing. Maybe with the right vehicle (and the right companion?) I'd actually do it.

I'm thinking Civics, Corollas, Elements, maybe even a Scion or a Yaris, and then again, maybe a small pick up. I don't drive that much, don't do much long distance driving at all. I haul groceries and my bike and that's about it.

I could even consider a two-seater if I fit into it! (Miata?)

But anyway, anyone got any ideas?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jetta. They make a hatchback type dealy. The only econo car that could possibly be considered a chick magnet. Fancy wheels, black paint, window tinting...you da man.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loves me my Civic. It has everything but chick appeal, and you can lower the back seats and easily get a bike (with the front wheel off) inside. With the back seat down, you can haul a lot of other stuff as well.

You don't need a car to get a chick, Deeg. Just melt 'em with your winning smile.

PS--Forget the Miata. That's not a chick magnet. That's a chick-mobile.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toyota 4 runner, 23 on the highway 18 city. around 32k out the door. Or anything Toyota or Honda, good luck.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Something reliable
    Good gas mileage
    Basic "luxuries" like remote controls, electric windows, some form of stereo, a/c, etc.
    An easy way to transport the bike (currently I have a trunk mounted rack which I have a love/hate relationship with, but I could continue to use it).

What else would be nice

I also think now and then about getting into camping or back packing. Maybe with the right vehicle (and the right companion?) I'd actually do it.

maybe a small pick up.

Toyota Tacoma 4WD pickup. You can haul your bike, groceries, camping gear all at the same time for you AND a friend.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote for one of the small SUV things, like a CRV, Ford Escape, or Rav4. A friend just got a Honda Fit and he claims he can get his bike in there, but I haven't seen it.
    I have a 1986 S-10 Blazer and the bikes fit in easily, but chicks don't dig it.

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm driving a 1993 Bonneville with 164000 miles. It has power locks, windows, drivers seat, with a radio and cassette player (handy for books on tape). It gets 30mpg on the hwy which is where I always drive as I live in a small town and it burns no oil. Its comforatable and my bike fits in the back seat with the front wheel off.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
    Toyota Tacoma 4WD pickup. You can haul your bike, groceries, camping gear all at the same time for you AND a friend.
    I've got a Tacoma 2WD. Although I mostly like it, it was rated at 28mpg but gets 24mpg on the hwy if I baby it. IOW, fuel economy sucks. The 4WD would be even worse. Wife has a Yaris. Nice car if you can handle the weirdities, like the speedo being in the middle of the dashboard instead of in front of the driver.

Chick magnet - what about a Cooper Mini? There's almost enough room to mount a bike carrier on the back.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, now that Plan A is over, it's time for Plan B.

Plan A was help my daughter buy a late model reliable used car, which turned out to be a 2002 Ford Focus, and I keep driving my 2000 Avalon, with just 82,000 miles on it (I'm the original owner).

But the Focus is now being scrapped after the accident, and I'm back to square one. This time, I'm thinking of getting ME the next vehicle and turning the Avalon over to her.

But I don't know nuthin' 'bout no new (or late model) cars. Problem is I don't care much about cars and certainly don't lust after one. So I thought perhaps you fine folks could make some suggestions?

What appeals to me

Something reliable
    Good gas mileage

What else would be nice

A vehicle that's an age appropriate chick magnet.

I'm thinking Civics, Corollas, Elements, maybe even a Scion or a Yaris, and then again, maybe a small pick up. I don't drive that much, don't do much long distance driving at all. I haul groceries and my bike and that's about it.

I could even consider a two-seater if I fit into it! (Miata?)

My youngest had a wreck in May of 2006 and pretty well demolished her car. She is in college working on her masters and I have been helping her. The wreck was not her fault; however, **** happens. I decided to give her my current ride--a 2006 Honda Element that I bought in Jan. 2006, and buy another car.

The reason I bought the first Element is that I wanted one in 2004; however, my SO thought it was ugly and would ride bad. I bought an Toyota Highlander------bad mistake. I traded it for the 2006 Element.

The reason I like the Element is that:
    1. The seats are wide and they don't squeeze your butt when you're sitting in them
    2. Fuel economy
    3. Mount skewers in the back and carry two bikes
    4. EXTREMELY easy to mount top bike carriers
    5. It's a simple vehicle. I was going to write a check for a MB 320D when I realized everything I hated on the Highlander was on the MB and more.
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Pontiac Vibe, uses the Toyota drive train. Get 28 mpg around town and 33 mpg on trip to southern VA from PA at speeds above the limit but below 82mph. I had placed 3 bikes in back. Had to remove front wheel and took pedals off bottom bike. Just laid them down with a moving blanket between. One bike, such as your Ruby will fit in nicely with wheel still attached. Picture shown is the real thing, Toyota Matric. I don't know about the chick magnet. At our age the magnet is usually an obvious show of extreme wealth. But the bright blue shown or bright red will certainly attract attention.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can make you an excellent deal on a bike mobile-1991 Toyota Previa with only 455,000 miles and comes personalized with ketsup stains on the ceiling from the kids' french fries......

Riding my bike
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR C2 / Bianchi "beater"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG - this is a "no-win" thread.... just like bikes, everyone has a favorite and you'll wind up with a million recommendations. Nauturally everyone has different priorities, tastes, and budgets.

There was a similar thread in the road cycling forum recently that may give you some ideas: Smallest, nicest, most fuel efficient auto that fits 2 bikes inside?

Good luck!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crv.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote for the Element, I think it answers most of your needs and desires. I'm on my 4th Honda and they've all been extremely reliable cars.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, it's time to tell the hard truth about Chick magnet cars.

Guys think* that women look at a nice car and think, "Man, he has money and taste".

What they really think (unless it's said miata, apparently) is, "Man, he's really in debt."

I had a friend who bought a yellow corvette for the sole purpose of meeting women. He had that car for 4 years, got several tickets, and finally sold it. The week after he sold it, he met his wife.

Here's another fact guys refuse to believe: baldness doesn't bother women at all. In fact, most of us thinks it really brings out a guy's eyes. (not that dg is hair-impaired... I just thought I'd add that in while I was at it.)

Now if you want to pick up good women, get a nice vintage steel bike and a puppy. Now that's* approachable.

PS: I agree with Jet about the Miata. I only know women who have one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a 1965 Pontiac GTO you can have for a few bucks....

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    OK, it's time to tell the hard truth about Chick magnet cars.

Guys think* that women look at a nice car and think, "Man, he has money and taste".

What they really think (unless it's said miata, apparently) is, "Man, he's really in debt."

I had a friend who bought a yellow corvette for the sole purpose of meeting women. He had that car for 4 years, got several tickets, and finally sold it. The week after he sold it, he met his wife.

Here's another fact guys refuse to believe: baldness doesn't bother women at all. In fact, most of us thinks it really brings out a guy's eyes. (not that dg is hair-impaired... I just thought I'd add that in while I was at it.)

Now if you want to pick up good women, get a nice vintage steel bike and a puppy. Now that's* approachable.

PS: I agree with Jet about the Miata. I only know women who have one.
    This is interesting, because I have long suspected that an age appropriate woman (in other words, someone my age) would be more attracted to a guy with a clean, well cared for, practical car, good mileage, and all that. In other words, she'd be more attracted to a guy who's car was just that -- a car, but at least one that he kept maintained and clean. Or maybe that's just me describing the kind of women I'd like to meet!

I put the "requirement" for the car being a chick magnet really as tongue in cheek, anyway.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is interesting, because I have long suspected that an age appropriate woman (in other words, someone my age) would be more attracted to a guy with a clean, well cared for, practical car, good mileage, and all that. In other words, she'd be more attracted to a guy who's car was just that -- a car, but at least one that he kept maintained and clean. Or maybe that's just me describing the kind of women I'd like to meet!
    A woman of depth would think that way, regardless of age.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    A woman of depth would think that way, regardless of age.
    +1.

Give me practical, clean, showing pride of ownership over flashy, fashionable and attention-getting. And I'm not even looking. I just have opinions.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    give me a Ferrari any day...and a nasty red head by my side....ciao...

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm waiting for Subaru to come out with a turbo-diesel Legacy wagon. Audi is winning races with its turbo-diesel engines, and you can drive from Vancouver to Calgary on one tank of diesel. Plus Subaru only makes all-wheel-drive cars, and most of the cars you see parked at hiking trailheads and cross-country ski areas are Subarus.

The current Subaru Legacy with 2.5L gasoline boxer engine is pretty poor on gas economy, though (about 25 mpg highway on mine). But any Subaru built in or after 2000 handles every bit as well as a 3-series BMW (I had a girlfriend with a 320). (current gf drives a Subaru Outback and is even more enthusiastic about Subarus than I am.)

The downside is you probably don't need AWD in San Diego... But put me on a snow-covered road in my Legacy (with no chains) and I'll guarantee I can get wherever I'm going. It will certainly out-handle any SUV in these conditions.

- L.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin View Post
    give me a Ferrari any day...and a nasty red head by my side....ciao...
    A testa rossa ("red head") in a Testa Rossa. Che bella!

- L.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daily driver is a 2WD 1998 Toyota Tacoma. 26-28 MPG city and Highway. Standard shift,
    short wheelbase, handles and rides like a British sports car (I've been driving MG's & Triumphs for 35 years and currently own a '72 "B" that I bought new). I LOVE MY TACOMA !!!!! For me its is very practical and fun.

My wifes daily driver is a 1996 Toyota Camry w/140,000 miles on it. I feel cramped in the
    driver's seat, but it fits her to a tee. SHE LOVES HER CAMRY!!!!!

When we shopped for our vehicles we shopped to satisfy our needs: in her case a people
    transport vehicle that would be long lasting and dependable, in my case a semi utilitary
    vehicle that was dependable, economic, long lasting and fun to drive.

Our Mechanic steered us towards the dependable makes and models. We bought, and always will buy, used. Our mechanic checks our cars over before we close the deals.

As far as Chick Magnets are concerned....You are supposed to be the Chick Magnet.

In other words, if you like your Avalon....keep it!
    If you're ready to move on, buy what YOU like, buy what fits YOUR lifestyle!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toyota Prius or Honda Element

The Prius because it's a hybrid and it's just the right thing to do.

The Element because you can just roll the bike right in the back end. If you're really thinking about camping, you can also haul the camping gear easily, and even slap a foam pad down in the back and sleep in there.

I'm a "chick" of a certain age, and I would think good things about a guy driving either of these. As opposed to a Miata or any of those p*nis-mobiles guys seem to drive after 50.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I bought the first Element is that I wanted one in 2004; however, my SO thought it was ugly and would ride bad. I bought an Toyota Highlander------bad mistake. I traded it for the 2006 Element.

The reason I like the Element is that:
    1. The seats are wide and they don't squeeze your butt when you're sitting in them
    2. Fuel economy
    3. Mount skewers in the back and carry two bikes
    4. EXTREMELY easy to mount top bike carriers
    5. It's a simple vehicle. I was going to write a check for a MB 320D when I realized everything I hated on the Highlander was on the MB and more.
    +1 I bought my first one new in 2005. Everyone called it a toaster on wheels. Well, now the oldest is driving it back and forth to school and I just bought a new 08 Element. Love the car. Bikes fit inside WITHOUT taking a wheel or anything else off, easy to maintain, rides well, great stereo with XM, and it just runs forever. My wife parks her Windstar Van and drives my Element when I'm out of town (which is pretty much all the time).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast