Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Night & Day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Night & Day

Got home from work at 4:30 p.m. I jumped on the bike and put in a quick 20 miles while it was 90 degrees. I'm home alone tonight and about 8:00 p.m. I'm getting restless. So, I decide to go for a night ride. I strap on the lights, and ride the same route I rode earlier. The difference was, dare I say, night and day. Tonight's ride was cooler, less traffic, and the traffic seemed to be more respectful of my space on the road.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a nice contrast. Even with lights I think that I would be a bit nervous of night riding not being to trusting of drivers around here. I had an acquaintance who had a bike he used only for night riding. When you saw it you would swear it was a semi the way he had it lit up. I mean freighters kept landing in the town square mistaking him for a lighthouse. This would not have been so bad except we are 120 miles inland from the nearest great lake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My fear with riding at that time of night is drivers getting out of bars after a "quick beer" after work. They've been drinking since 5PM.

OTOH, early morning rides are awesome. Since I'm a morning person that is my preference. 4:00AM rides set the tone for a day at the high school. Nothing the kids throw at me phases me.

My next favorite time is right after school lets out, and before the rush hour traffic kicks in.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigaj View Post
    My fear with riding at that time of night is drivers getting out of bars after a "quick beer" after work. They've been drinking since 5PM.

OTOH, early morning rides are awesome.

+1 on the early morning rides.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm riding at night after dinner because it's too hot when I first get home from work and, of course, I can't ride during the day. I wish I could to commute to work. In winter my only option will be riding after dark, so I'm looking for a good headlight that lights the ground in front of me and also casts light to the sides. I ride in areas with lights, no dark trails. Anyway, I like riding at night when it is cooler as long as I am visible to drivers. If I could make myself get up at the crack of dawn I'd ride then instead but I'm more of a night person.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    In winter my only option will be riding after dark, so I'm looking for a good headlight that lights the ground in front of me and also casts light to the sides. I ride in areas with lights, no dark trails. Anyway, I like riding at night when it is cooler as long as I am visible to drivers. If I could make myself get up at the crack of dawn I'd ride then instead but I'm more of a night person.
    Best I have found are the Halogen lights. Forget the Cateye system but Plenty of Good halogen lamps around. Couple of years ago I used a basic twin 10w halogen system and it was great. Two lamps- a flood and a spot and you could point then where you wanted them. A link to the Light is below and the "Smart" lamp is on the second page. This lamp is cheap!!!! And I can recommend it. Powerfull enough for offroad and we used it in conjunction with a Cateye "EL300"???? Battery life was just about OK but my pilot on the Tandem used to conserve battery power by turning it off to ride by moonlight.(Even on cloudy Nights) Only drawback with it is the Weight of the battery and fitting it onto already crowded bars. BUT IT IS A GOOD LAMP.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/category-...ystems-123.htm

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-S...9.99)-1886.htm
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Best I have found are the Halogen lights. Forget the Cateye system but Plenty of Good halogen lamps around. Couple of years ago I used a basic twin 10w halogen system and it was great. Two lamps- a flood and a spot and you could point then where you wanted them. A link to the Light is below and the "Smart" lamp is on the second page. This lamp is cheap!!!! And I can recommend it. Powerfull enough for offroad and we used it in conjunction with a Cateye "EL300"???? Battery life was just about OK but my pilot on the Tandem used to conserve battery power by turning it off to ride by moonlight.(Even on cloudy Nights) Only drawback with it is the Weight of the battery and fitting it onto already crowded bars. BUT IT IS A GOOD LAMP.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/category-...ystems-123.htm

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-S...9.99)-1886.htm

Are you saying this lamp is cheap?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes View Post
    Are you saying this lamp is cheap?
    Don't know the lamp you have but I bet it was more than $60. I use a 300 lamp and that is good. But This "Smart " lamp is good enough for the Road- (Or Offroad for that matter) without going over the top and a lot cheaper than lesser lamps.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

bac
    My Bikes
    Too many to list!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    I strap on the lights, and ride the same route I rode earlier. The difference was, dare I say, night and day. Tonight's ride was cooler, less traffic, and the traffic seemed to be more respectful of my space on the road.
    There's something about a night ride that really gets me off. Is it the cooler temps? Maybe. Is it the fact that everything looks different? Perhaps. Is it the fact that motorists cannot comprehend what the heck you are when you use both a helmet and handlebar mounted light? Probably.

Hey I dunno why it's so much fun, but the change-up is pretty sweet.

... Brad

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Don't know the lamp you have but I bet it was more than $60. I use a 300 lamp and that is good. But This "Smart " lamp is good enough for the Road- (Or Offroad for that matter) without going over the top and a lot cheaper than lesser lamps.

My intent was just to joke about the size of the letters you used saying it was cheap.

It does seem like a very good value. It's a good recomendation.

You would win the bet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]