Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 08-17-07, 07:01 AM   #1
BSLeVan

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thwarted theft of one of my bikes today.

I rode to the neighborhood grocery store to pick up a pound of coffee, we were out. I got to the store & relaized I had forgotten my lock. So, I could either ride home and get it, or keep my eye on the bike as I got the coffee. I figured I'd do the later since I could see the bike from the aisle where they kept the coffee and also while I was paying for it. Sure enough some kid comes by, grabs the bike and tries to start down over the curb with it. But, the front wheel drops out when he lifts it to take it over the curb...... because, I've gotten into the habit of releasing the front quick release on my bikes even when I lock them up. And the back wheel won't turn. I've also gotten into the habit of setting the brakes on the rear wheel so that when the quick release lever is in it's closed position, the brake pads are very tightly pressed against the rims. I started doing these things 30 years ago. These days, however, you have to file the lawyer tabs off the front fork dropouts. In any event, this slowed him down just enough for me to head out the front door of the store and confront him. Actually, he saw this old guy racing out of the store with a bicycle helmet in hand, and he just dropped the bike and ran.

Last edited by BSLeVan; 08-17-07 at 07:07 AM.
BSLeVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 07:17 AM   #2
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Any chance you can identify him for the police. Kid crime gets worse every year and everyone feels sorry for them as they are obviously misadjusted.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 07:24 AM   #3
BSLeVan

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
Any chance you can identify him for the police. Kid crime gets worse every year and everyone feels sorry for them as they are obviously misadjusted.
Probably not. He was likely under 15 and at that age they all look alike to me.
Old 08-17-07, 08:49 AM   #4
bobby c
Bike Curious....

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Cool - good thinking. Not sure I'd recommend people do the quick release trick, you forget to tighten it again and you could have a nasty accident (I won't go into details of how a friend's face was re-arranged by forgetting this). That's a cool habit to have been doing for 30 years, I'm afraid I'd forget. The brake trick I like & I'd use if I rode more in a city.

Moral of the story - don't drink coffee!
bobby c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 08:52 AM   #5
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Good job!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 09:01 AM   #6
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Stun gun.
Old 08-17-07, 09:29 AM   #7
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Pepper spray....too bad there wasn't hidden pepper spray "alarm" ( part of the stem?) that would activate when the front wheel turned and send a spray up into the face of the rider...and sound a loud siren to alert you that it was time to go kick the groveling wouldbe thief on the butt as they lay writhing on the pavement...
Old 08-17-07, 09:40 AM   #8
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicestrong View Post
Pepper spray....too bad there wasn't hidden pepper spray "alarm" ( part of the stem?) that would activate when the front wheel turned and send a spray up into the face of the rider...and sound a loud siren to alert you that it was time to go kick the groveling wouldbe thief on the butt as they lay writhing on the pavement...
The kid's mommy would probably sue for damages to her baby, then you'd have to sell your bikes to pay the lawyers' (plural) fee. Sigh.
Old 08-17-07, 09:54 AM   #9
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
It is pretty bad when you can't go to a neighborhood grocery store and leave a bike unlocked for 5 minutes.

In the rural areas I've been riding into in Wisconsin, I've been very pleased to encounter time after time, places where people don't lock any of the bikes. I saw 20-30 bikes leaning up against trees and fences in one town, all unlocked. On numerous occasions I've seen unlocked bikes in racks outside of cafes. I really like being around places like this. They are becoming too few and far between.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 10:05 AM   #10
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
It is pretty bad when you can't go to a neighborhood grocery store and leave a bike unlocked for 5 minutes.
It's nothing new. I had a bike stolen in those circumstances in high school.

The Tao Te Ching also comments on it.

"The Sage, traveling all day, does not lose sight of his baggage." And that was written thousands of years ago.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 10:11 AM   #11
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
Supposedly as recently as the 40s, women left their baby strollers outside (with baby in it) while they went inside to shop. I think I read a story about this still being done in Europe. It's inconceivable to me...... like putting a burning candle on a Christmas tree. How many houses had to burn down before someone finally caught on? Didn't at least one family member say "Uh, you're not going to put that burning candle on the tree, are you?"
Old 08-17-07, 10:14 AM   #12
Hwy 40 Blue
Hwy 40 Blue

Bikes: A Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe and a Trek hybrid
This brings out my inner Rambo ... I knew a guy who took glass shards and glued them to the back and underside of his car stereo, right where a thief's fingers would grab to yank it out ...
Hwy 40 Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 10:16 AM   #13
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem
for quick store trips, I just take my bike in and push it around with me. Never had a hassle - it's no bigger than most carts. Good job on recovering your ride.
truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 10:18 AM   #14
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Quote:
Originally Posted by truman View Post
for quick store trips, I just take my bike in and push it around with me. Never had a hassle - it's no bigger than most carts. Good job on recovering your ride.
I do that too. At least at convenience stores like 7-11 it seems to be okay. I "park" it inside near the door and no one has hassled me yet.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 10:20 AM   #15
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
because, I've gotten into the habit of releasing the front quick release on my bikes even when I lock them up. And the back wheel won't turn. I've also gotten into the habit of setting the brakes on the rear wheel so that when the quick release lever is in it's closed position, the brake pads are very tightly pressed against the rims.
I gotta ask. How many times did you get yourself with this set-up before you got used to it? It would get me every time!

... Brad
bac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 10:30 AM   #16
Sandwarrior
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yen View Post
Supposedly as recently as the 40s, women left their baby strollers outside (with baby in it) while they went inside to shop. I think I read a story about this still being done in Europe.
This is still a common practice in Norway. We observed this as fact while I was stationed there from 1992 - 1998. Funny thing is, they took their dogs into the stores and left the babies outside all year long
Sandwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 10:48 AM   #17
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
In my neighborhood, just 9 miles outside of Madison, it is common practice for people to sell vegetables, fruits, and even conduct yard sales, on the honor system. That is, they place their goods, with price tags, out by the road along with a container into which one deposits payment. A couple of plays even put out fishing tackle boxes filled with change, both coins and $1 bills, so that buyers can make change. I know of at least 6 places that do this that are within 3-4 miles of my house.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 10:55 AM   #18
Old School

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9
Ahhh... it appears that you neglected to switch your bike to "stealth" mode before entering the store. With this new technology your entire bike becomes completely invisible except to the owner who is wearing special UV-filtering glasses (included with our special offer). The hapless kid would have tripped over your invisible bike, split his lip on the curb, and wondered "what the !@#$%"?
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 11:10 AM   #19
BSLeVan

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac View Post
I gotta ask. How many times did you get yourself with this set-up before you got used to it? It would get me every time!

... Brad
Good question. Two or three times, and it was the rubbing rear brake the reminded me. So, I never had any problems with the front wheel. Once the rear brake rubs you go, "Oh, yeah got to get this ready to ride again."
Old 08-17-07, 11:14 AM   #20
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
If I am going in- I take the front wheel with me.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 11:20 AM   #21
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I bet the bike was screaming Help!! Help!!
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 11:29 AM   #22
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
In my neighborhood, just 9 miles outside of Madison, it is common practice for people to sell vegetables, fruits, and even conduct yard sales, on the honor system. That is, they place their goods, with price tags, out by the road along with a container into which one deposits payment. A couple of plays even put out fishing tackle boxes filled with change, both coins and $1 bills, so that buyers can make change. I know of at least 6 places that do this that are within 3-4 miles of my house.
We have a couple places along the Sunday morning breakfast route that do the same thing. They have a small money box and you just pay for the veggies you take. They've been doing this for several years so they must not have a problem with people taking items without paying.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 11:47 AM   #23
sygyzy

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
I've gotten into the habit of releasing the front quick release on my bikes even when I lock them up. And the back wheel won't turn. I've also gotten into the habit of setting the brakes on the rear wheel so that when the quick release lever is in it's closed position, the brake pads are very tightly pressed against the rims. .
If you set your brakes so it locks the whels when the quick release is closed, does that mean that when are riding, your QR sits in the open or half-way open position?
sygyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 12:57 PM   #24
pdq 5oh

Bikes: Trek 7500 Trek EX8
Glad he didn't get your bike. Hopefully, some day he'll get what he has coming to him. He might just try to steal the wrong guy's bike, at some point.
pdq 5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 04:35 PM   #25
BSLeVan

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
If you set your brakes so it locks the whels when the quick release is closed, does that mean that when are riding, your QR sits in the open or half-way open position?
Yes, the brake's quick release that is. If I get a flat, just a few twists of the adjuster barrel and I can open the brakes far enough to get the wheel out.