User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First the knees, now the hips

The knee pain is much better and getting better all the time. It's a 1 on the pain scale and I feel it only when going up stairs, which I do carefully and only when necessary.

My hips are bothering me a little now, but only after sitting. For many years when I was a lot younger, I got into the bad habit of popping my hip joints. Eventually I had to do that often to "release" the joint (or so it seemed). Sometimes I feel that need while riding my bike, but not nearly as often as I used to. I rarely pop it now but only if it seems to need it.

Since it hurts only while sitting and the pain is virtually gone after moving around for a while, it doesn't sound like osteoarthritis. Could it be the ligaments, stretched from years of popping?

I don't know if I need to rest them or continue moving, since the pain lessens with movement and increases with lack of movement. At work, I sometimes sit for 2-3 hours at my desk without moving much. When I finally leave my chair, I walk like an old lady for the first minute or so until the joints limber up.

It's not at the point where I need to see a doctor. I'm wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone, and if so what your experience was.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it sounds familiar. So far, I've chalked it up to getting older and mild arthritis. I'm just glad I don't keep tottering when I walk!
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen- This IS the 50+ forum, so I think a lot of it goes with the territory
    Some of it may be that you are favoring the knee(s), so you walk a bit different and put the "strain" elsewhere.
    Some years ago, I had my wrist in a cast, and after a few weeks, the OTHER wrist started hurting. The Dr. explained it quite simply- It's because you're USING the other wrist MORE!
    BTW, I (and my "little" brother who is also 50+) have found that taking a Calcium, Magnesium & ZInc tablet every day, really seems to help joint pain. It's quite inexpensive. You might try them and see if that helps after a couple weeks. I have a couple waitress friends that have tried it and it helped their wrist pain.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh, it's definitely part of getting older (I can accept that) as well as resuming activity after several years of inactivity+sedentary job. I'm not really complaining about the pain itself. My main concern is whether the pain is a sign that I need to rest instead of continuing with activity, yet my hips feel worse with inactivity, even a half hour just sitting. Since I don't know if continued activity will make them even worse, or better, I'm not sure what to do and I don't want to further any damage if inactivity is the answer. I suppose one way to find out is to stop all activity for an entire week, take an Advil once or twice (in case there is any inflammation), and see if they feel any better.

The only thing I currently don't do is take supplements. In addition to a good multi-vitamin and cal/mag, I am planning to try glucosamine+condroitin as well. I've read so many good testimonies about it and I'm willing to give it a try.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont sweat it EVERYONE gets arthritis sooner or later, but EVERYONE after 50 will have some, weather mild or severe.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.... I'm not worried about arthritis or complaining and I know it could be much worse. Mostly, I am really just wondering if this is something that calls for rest, and if not resting will lead to permanent damage... or if it is best to remain active. I'll have to experiment and only time will tell.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luckily don't suffer from Joint pains but do have an old injury to the knees. When they start playing up- It can get painfull and the best Remedy for me is to get out and ride. Still a bit of discomfort on the ride but If I do not exercise the Stiffness out- They will just sieze up completely. I find that walking helps a bit but that is boring.

Now starting on back pain- I do have this and the only way I can get comfortable is to ride. That stretched out position takes the load off the back and eases it completely.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides the arthritis I have a degenerative hip. I think if I quit riding, I'd lock up tighter than a drum. Anyhow soak in a tub for a while when your hurting , it helps me when I do. The problem I have with that though, is sitting around that long, good luck.
    George

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George, that's what I'm afraid this is (degenerative hip), but wouldn't walking or other weight-bearing exercise aggravate it? It hurts to flex my hip while I'm sitting or standing, but walking and cycling don't bother it. It's really a puzzle. My younger brother had both hips replaced before he turned 50 so I'm wondering if I'm next...
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First the knees, then the hips,
    This aging thing ain't for weak little pips!
    Eyes that no longer focus
    On my newspaper as I read,
    Trying to remember for the doc
    How many times each night I've peed.
    Something's tightened up over there,
    Something else just gave me a scare.
    Then something cracked when I tried to bend,
    Just one more thing - it never ends.

We're all aging bozos on this bus
    We the proud, the brave, the Fifty Plus!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If all else fails, at least we can have a sense of humor!! Thanks!
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We rode 24 miles today and I'm happy to report I had NO HIP PAIN after the ride. This is in spite of a very difficult start with my legs feeling like lead and my heart not really into riding this morning (due mostly to the heat).

However, after riding in the car (30+ miles) to my parents' house, sitting at their home, riding to the restaurant, sitting at the restaurant, and sitting for another 30+ miles on the trip back home, I can feel it now. Seems like I need to ride more, sit less. Maybe I can get an Rx for that new bike!
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen, conside purchasing a cheap trainer. You can hop on it any time, spin for as long as you like, heat your body and lube your joints-- and then hop off. Not a substitute for riding, but good for those odd moments when you want a break but don't want to helmet up, face the wind, haven't the block of time. If you watch tv, you can spin away and watch without always being sedantary. If your wrists hurt, you can sit up and ride no hands. You can make it as easy or hard as you feel like. Etc.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GREAT idea. We've talked about getting a trainer for winter riding (heh, "winter" in soCal). A guy at an LBS suggested buying a cheap wheel w/ tire so as to not wear out the tire on our bikes. Any suggestions for either one?
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was going to the gym and using the tread mill or stepper my hip would kill me. When I started riding, I tried it with a cheap bike and found out that it didn't bother me.

Years ago in service while jumping, I made a bad exit and hit the side of the plane. It didn't bother me all this time, until I started to go to the gym. I went to the doctor and had it x-rayed and that was the results. Besides pain pills for my RA I feel fine now. The bike riding does help as well, good luck.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen,
    Unless you have heavily treaded tires, I wouldn't necessarily worry about buying a new wheel. The trainer will accelerate tire wear, but not dramatically. Tires are not horribly expensive, but then neither is a cheap wheel from Nashbar. Having to change wheels, though not a big deal, may inhibit you a little from actually using the trainer at times. If you get the trainer, also get a front wheel stabilizing block, just a chunk of molded plasitc, which will lift the front a bit to match the rear when on the trainer.

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Thanks.... I'm not worried about arthritis or complaining and I know it could be much worse. Mostly, I am really just wondering if this is something that calls for rest, and if not resting will lead to permanent damage... or if it is best to remain active. I'll have to experiment and only time will tell.
    It sounds exactly like Rheumatoid arthritis. Common symtoms exactly not odd or confusing, just typical. You loosen up after a ride and feel better. A long ride could be worse. Warm up slowly and carefully on every ride. On a long ride you may feel great right at the end and have a lot of inflamation the next day as it slowly gets worse over time. Two days off and you can be ready to ride again and feeling better. Muscles take two days to heal 100% from hard exercise anyway. No loss in riding condition from two days off, maybe even an improvement over the course of the season.
    Only a doctor can say for sure. Go to a Rheumatologist. I and millions of others have those exact symptoms, if it is Rheumatoid arthritis, the doctor will probably tell you to keep moving or you will get stiff
    DUH !
    Go see a doctor now, the current accepted best treatment is agressive treatment early to prevent more damage. You may not have to do anything now, but find a good doctor, to keep on top of it. Eventually you will need one, sooner is much better than later. It can prevent (reduce) damage.

glucosamine+condroitin is for Osteo- not Rheumatiod. It will will say it on the package. Different disease different problems. There's plenty of info on line.

Edit: oops-forgot the good news. I have had it almost all my life, I started missing work from hip pain in the late 70's. Cycling helped a lot. The last few years after a 20 mile warm up, I did at least a century every week. Most of the time more than that.
    Last edited by 2manybikes; 08-19-07 at 07:59 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes View Post
    It sounds exactly like Rheumatoid arthritis. Common symtoms exactly not odd or confusing, just typical. You loosen up after a ride and feel better.
    Other than feeling better after a ride (or moving in general), I have no other symptoms of RA. I feel this in my hips joints only, not in any other joints. No swelling, no fatigue, no fever. Maybe I'm not a textbook case. I'll keep an eye on it and this possibility in the back of my mind.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mentioned in another thread that you do some yoga.

Warrior II pose and Pigeon pose are great for the hips and my knees respond well to any gentle stretching of the quads and hamstrings.

If your job allows you to get up and move around at least once an hour, that might help--even if you need to make a not-exactly-neccessary trip for paper, scotch tape, coffee, etc.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    You mentioned in another thread that you do some yoga.

Warrior II pose and Pigeon pose are great for the hips and my knees respond well to any gentle stretching of the quads and hamstrings.

If your job allows you to get up and move around at least once an hour, that might help--even if you need to make a not-exactly-neccessary trip for paper, scotch tape, coffee, etc.
    I don't think I participated in the yoga thread. I used to do a little many years ago, but not now. But I'll check out the poses you mention and see if they might help.

At work I am trying to get up at least ever hour and just walk around, get some water, etc. I am planning to buy a little timer for my desk to remind me. It's easy to just sit there for 3 hours, and suddenly I realize I haven't even moved all that time!
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I participated in the yoga thread. I used to do a little many years ago, but not now. But I'll check out the poses you mention and see if they might help.

At work I am trying to get up at least ever hour and just walk around, get some water, etc. I am planning to buy a little timer for my desk to remind me. It's easy to just sit there for 3 hours, and suddenly I realize I haven't even moved all that time!
    I wonder if there isn't some free little application on the net somewhere that you could use to have your computer remind you?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    I wonder if there isn't some free little application on the net somewhere that you could use to have your computer remind you?
    I'm wondering that too..... I'll check!
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IAt work I am trying to get up at least ever hour and just walk around, get some water, etc. I am planning to buy a little timer for my desk to remind me. It's easy to just sit there for 3 hours, and suddenly I realize I haven't even moved all that time!
    We have a rule in our office in that after 1 hour of looking at a screen- You go out for a smoke break- Or you walk round the building. Stops the phone staff getting ratty with the customers and the Computer bods talking gibberish.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other than feeling better after a ride (or moving in general), I have no other symptoms of RA. I feel this in my hips joints only, not in any other joints. No swelling, no fatigue, no fever. Maybe I'm not a textbook case. I'll keep an eye on it and this possibility in the back of my mind.

That is texbook case. There are many variations. Lots of people don't have the other symptoms. I don't. You probably have swelling in the joint that can't be seen. Hip joints only is textbook case too. I was exactly that way for years. So are many others.
    It could also be other things not so good. Only a doctor can tell. Blood tests help him figure that out among other things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A sage senior citizen once told me not to leave your wallet in the rear pocket. With all the credit cards and such it caused a serious hip problem for him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast