Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did I see Tom Bombadil today?

This story is the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

I went on my first 40 mile ride today...on a railroad path of crushed limestone. All of us who meet on the path give each other a nod and a smile. Life is good.

Then along comes a guy on a cross bike with flat handlebars. It is a nice day, high in the mid 70s. This guy is going all-out on this cross bike, with arms and legs kind of flying akimbo. He's not even breaking a sweat, and he is wearing a sweatshirt with a matching helmet. He looks serious, but definately Fred.

As I approach him, I nod. He turns to me and shouts, "HELL NO!" and keeps going. I turn around to look at him, and he's wearing a Wisconsin Badgers sweatshirt. For real.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom Bombadil was attending a hot rod show this afternoon, in Madison, WI. So it wasn't I who was the overly rude Wisconsinite. (By the way, hot rod shows are dominated by 50+'ers. I'd guess that close to 90% of the rod owners were 50+, with at least 2/3rds of them being 60+.)

And congrats on your 40 mile ride!!! How did that go? You still feeling pretty good at the end?

Right now I have a plan to go to Red Wing on Sept 13th, to ride the Cannon River Trail on Friday the 14th. Roughly 40 miles from Red Wing to the trailhead and back. Then on the 15th, on my way back home, I hope to stop & ride the Great River Trail along the Mississippi, or perhaps stopping in Sparta and hitting some of the tunnels on the Elroy-Sparta Trail.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It went really well, considering I was surprised by the limestone. My Atlantis was in the shop, so I was riding my old Bridgestone with 1.25" tires on it. It did fine, but I averaged only 10 mph on the hard pack and it was tough going. I can feel it a bit in my knees. I still had energy at the end, though, and did a stretch going 14 mph before I started a cool down. The limestone jostled me a bit the whole ride, so I had to stretch out a bit to shake out the stiffness.

I'm kind of proud. I have never* ridden 40 miles before, even when I used to ride.

Those trails are high on my list. I'm doing a Mille Lacs ride in Sept, and I want to make sure and do my Duluth ride, which was my summer goal. Seems kind of wimpy now, at 28 miles, though.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Tom Bombadil was attending a hot rod show this afternoon, in Madison, WI. So it wasn't I who was the overly rude Wisconsinite. (By the way, hot rod shows are dominated by 50+'ers. I'd guess that close to 90% of the rod owners were 50+, with at least 2/3rds of them being 60+.)
    And congrats on your 40 mile ride!!! How did that go? You still feeling pretty good at the end?

Right now I have a plan to go to Red Wing on Sept 13th, to ride the Cannon River Trail on Friday the 14th. Roughly 40 miles from Red Wing to the trailhead and back. Then on the 15th, on my way back home, I hope to stop & ride the Great River Trail along the Mississippi, or perhaps stopping in Sparta and hitting some of the tunnels on the Elroy-Sparta Trail.

Compensation???
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solveg, it sounds like we are on parallel paths this summer. Setting goals of getting into the upper 20's and then venturing into the unexpected territory of the 40 mile ride. Except for my one wild metric century ride, we are pretty much at the same place.

It feels pretty good to say that you've done a 40, doesn't it!
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Compensation???
    It may be that younger hot rod owners aren't interested in these types of shows. This was a large one, the Good Guys Midwest National, and had hundreds of rods there. Several of them were very nice.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solveg, it sounds like we are on parallel paths this summer. Setting goals of getting into the upper 20's and then venturing into the unexpected territory of the 40 mile ride. Except for my one wild metric century ride, we are pretty much at the same place.

It feels pretty good to say that you've done a 40, doesn't it!
    It really does! I was only going to do 30 today, but it was such a nice day and I felt so fresh after 15 miles that I didn't want to turn back--kinda like how you did it. So I figured I'd see if it killed me or not. I'm a little amazed it didn't... but I'll sleep good tonight. Maybe as soon as 1/2 hour from now. Dang...I still have to walk the dogs!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure he didn't yell HELL LOW?
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! Well, maybe. He was yelling so loud the words could have run together... but maybe he was on a huge adrenaline rush. Makes a lot more sense than "Hell No".

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    He turns to me and shouts, "HELL NO!" and keeps going.
    Why in the world would someone say such a thing??? That doesn't sound like our Tom Bombadil.

Congratulations on your 40-mile ride!

I have a question.... how does one recognize a crushed limestone trail? I've never heard of one until I came to these forums. Is there a sign by the side that says "Crushed Limestone", are you a geology majors, or what? I know cement and asphalt and gravel and glass, but I don't think I'd know a crushed limestone trail from a crushed marble trail from a crushed granite trail.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Why in the world would someone say such a thing??? That doesn't sound like our Tom Bombadil.
    No, no, not at all.

If it had been me, I would have also flipped her the bird.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    I have a question.... how does one recognize a crushed limestone trail? I've never heard of one until I came to these forums. Is there a sign by the side that says "Crushed Limestone", are you a geology majors, or what? I know cement and asphalt and gravel and glass, but I don't think I'd know a crushed limestone trail from a crushed marble trail from a crushed granite trail.
    I only know because it says so in the book. It's the next step down from paved: light colored sandy gravel. It can get hard packed, but you can still see the paths of other bikes in it. You have to watch it because they patch it with sandy stuff in spots.
    Last edited by solveg; 08-18-07 at 06:32 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is less unlikely that you will find a crushed granite or crushed marble trail. Most gravel trails will be covered in shale, limestone or dolomite. Although it is possible if you live in an area that has mostly granite, that it could be covered in crushed granite. In most places that would be a more expensive option. Some trails are covered with cinder.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, no, not at all.

If it had been me, I would have also flipped her the bird.
    And just when I thought we had bid farewell to that old avatar acting up.....
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.