Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 08-17-07, 08:07 PM   #1
SaiKaiTai

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll say one thing for Performance Bicycle

They sure have sloooooow delivery. One the same day I ordered:
(1) jersey from Ride7B
(1) jersey from Love2Pedal, and
a jersey and some tubes from Performance

They all shipped on the same day. Ride7B shipped FedEx Ground (which, I learned, will hold deliveries until their "due date" so you won't them too soon. yeah, I know...) and both Performance & Love2Pedal each shipped USPS -not sure if they went out the same class- and I'm still waiting for Performance while I received the other two today.

I guess a Saturday delivery for a Tuesday order isn't really that bad but I wish they could have gotten to me today. I kind of need that tube. I'll probably get it tomorrow after I get home from my ride.
SaiKaiTai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 08:13 PM   #2
Dchiefransom

Bikes:
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
If you picked the cheapest shipping, it could be coming by "Standard" mail, which can take two weeks or more. Priority mail is 3-5 days.
Old 08-17-07, 08:23 PM   #3
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
I've placed two orders with Performance Bike, selecting standard shipping both times, and was surprised by how quickly I received them - within a week of ordering.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 09:15 PM   #4
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
I order a lot on-line. Ordering on Tuesday and receiving on Saturday seems fast to me.

But when you really, really, really want something TODAY, a few days can seem like forever.....
Old 08-17-07, 09:39 PM   #5
pdq 5oh

Bikes: Trek 7500 Trek EX8
I've gotten my orders from Performance pretty quickly...........so far.
pdq 5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 10:45 PM   #6
SaiKaiTai

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yen View Post
I order a lot on-line. Ordering on Tuesday and receiving on Saturday seems fast to me.
Yep. And I did pretty much agree with this from the getgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yen View Post
But when you really, really, really want something TODAY, a few days can seem like forever.....
And I absolutely agree with this, too

And, truthfully, I do have a patched spare I could use. Of course, then I'd have no spare to ride with. But I do ride on Armadillos. And I do have a patch kit.
Old 08-18-07, 05:51 AM   #7
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
I have to drive by a Performance Shop every day. I know I'm getting close when my credit card starts jumping around in my wallet.
Old 08-18-07, 06:30 AM   #8
wrafl

Bikes:
I've ordered once from Performance with standard shipping and it is very slow. They also don't issue a tracking number when you leave a note to inform you with that information so you could monitor and estimate day of arrivel for your package. And the same is true with Nashbar, you e mail them to inquire of your order status and you don't hear from them but it's just delievred at your doorstep when you least expect it. They might be slow but they have super prices. I balance my purchases online and with my LBS.
wrafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 06:47 AM   #9
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
Their standard shipping can be very slow. From Charlotte to Miami takes them 7+ days. I ordered something a couple of months ago and it took 11 days to get here. I complained and they gave me the a fre 2-day Fedx coupon. Next order I put the coupon code in the order notes and of course no one read it so they shipped it slow boat 6 days. I called they basically said they don't read the notes I should have called it in. In any event they credited me the shipping cost which I thought was nice. so they are trying. For some things they are really the only game in town. I can't find an ultegra 6600 chain for $25 anywhere else.

2013 Noah RS
stonecrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 07:47 AM   #10
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Join up, get 2nd day shipping for normal prices AND a bicycling mag subscription and points. Works out well for me.
cccorlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 08:09 AM   #11
mazpr
Banned.

Bikes: Tirreno Razza 900, Trek 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrafl View Post
And the same is true with Nashbar, you e mail them to inquire of your order status and you don't hear from them but it's just delievred at your doorstep when you least expect it
Totally untrue;

I ordered a complete bike with NASHBAR, it took them about a week and they do send you an email with the details. To tell you more, mine arrived a day before delivery date, if you have an account with them you can check on the website.

Also, its no big deal, delivery date is a phone call away; just call customer support and they will tell you.

People complaining about slow; one time I waited 2 months for a set of B+G springs for my vehicle, I bought them when they started to come out and nobody knew the brand a long time ago. Every 3 weeks I would call Customer support at NOPI and they would confirm the order. I wanted those springs plus I got a good deal.

For me slow is 3 weeks or more with standard shipping.
mazpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 09:48 AM   #12
guybierhaus

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
You want to experience long deliveries buy more from ebay. Last item bought the seller took 6 days before shipping parcel post. Another 10 days in transit. I recently had 2 sellers who never shipped. I think they died. I was able to get my money back with a PayPal claim. I've been using Nashbar almost exclusively. Their shipping warehouse must be close. I receive items in 4 days with standard service.
guybierhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 10:47 AM   #13
byte_speed
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
The last couple of times I ordered from Performance or Nashbar with standard shipping, they issued a tracking notice that the item shipped almost immediately, two weeks later it arrived. Oddly, my last order spent over a week in W. Va. per the tracking.

No other mail order place takes more than a week from shipping to arrival, even from California and most just take a few days. I suspect they are faking the tracking. I've gotten stuff from ProBikeKit in England faster than 2 weeks with their free shipping. [/vent]
byte_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 07:15 PM   #14
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
My last shipment from Performance was a tad slow, but I was prepared for it.

Now I get spammed daily.
The Weak Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 08:11 PM   #15
Motorad
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
Join up, get 2nd day shipping for normal prices AND a bicycling mag subscription and points. Works out well for me.
+1. If you know you will be ordering stuff routinely, become a member of "Team Performance". 2nd day shipping at no added cost. There are other bennies as well, such as earning shopper points that have cash value for purchasing stuff from Performance.

I received a package, this week, from another online vendor. It was some velcro straps for strapping air pumps to your frame, that I ordered about five or six weeks ago. I forgot all about this small purchase, and it was like receiving an unexpected present.
Motorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-07, 11:21 AM   #16
tlc20010
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
You can also order stuff and have it shipped to your local Performance store and pick it up (usually next day) at no charge for shipping--assuming there is a store in your area (several in NoCal)..
Old 08-20-07, 05:23 PM   #17
SaiKaiTai

Bikes:
It's heee-yer.... Didn't get it on Saturday -I managed- but it just arrived 10 minutes ago. All things considered, not bad, really. I just tried on the Pearl Izumi Ultra Attack shorts I ordered (made exclusively for Performance Bicycle, they say)... nice. REALLY nice. I am liking this whole cycling shorts thing, now, for sure. As for getting it delivered to the nearest Brick & Mortar, yes, we have one pretty near by in the Sit-Ay but if I were to do that, I'd just go buy 'em there. No need to have 'em drop-shipped.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go swap out a tube