Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Annual Tour de Block Island

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-07, 10:12 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Saturday, Ms HH and I along with our friends Tom and Denyse did our annual Tour de Block Island. For those unfamiliar with New England, Block Island is a wonderful island about 10 miles off the coast of RI, very unspoiled with alot of protected land and few cars. This year we decided to take the MTBs so we could explore some of the secluded bluffs and beaches accessible by dirt trail only. I should point out that this is much more of a "stop for the sights ride" than normal. The 22 miles took us 8 hrs.

We caught the ferry at Pt Judith at 8:00AM and were on the island at 8:45. First leg was north out to the North Lighthouse. There we met a couple very nice 50+ tandem riders. Then it was head back toward town for lunch on the harbor. From there we continued counterclockwise around the island. At about the halfway point we turned off onto a dirt trail that went about 3 miles to a very secluded beach where we spent about an hour just walking in the water and lying in the sun.

From there we continued on the dirt until we finally connected back to the paved road. The highlight (or lowlight) of that leg was an 18% grade climb for a half mile on dirt.

Next stop was at the South Lighthouse, then back to town for an ice cream before catching the 6:00PM ferry back to Pt Judith.

One thing about Block Island is that it is a series of short steep hills. The highest elevation is 190 feet, but we did over 1500 feet of climbing in 22 miles.

Too many pics to post, so here is the web album link.

https://picasaweb.google.com/tvandawalker/BlockIsland07
Old 09-04-07, 10:19 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
This will be the first year in many that the Maxx's have not gone to Block Island.

If you can stay out of the path of the rental scooters you can go anywhere by bike.

Very nice pictures Hills.
Old 09-04-07, 08:50 PM

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife and I did the moped thing on B.I. sometime around 1988, but we have not been back since. I remember it was wonderful! I'd love to try it on a bike, but I know my wife would want no part of it. Anything more than a rail-trail 2-3% grade and she is ready to bail. Someday....