Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

38 miles on my mtb - ouch

Just this last week I put new tires - Kenda Kross Plus - new cassette, and new chain on my Trek 820. It really needed them. Last night I took a 12 mile ride around the 'hood to make sure everything was working properly.
    Today, I took a 38 mile ride on the Katy Trail which is flat and topped with crushed stone. I really noticed how much more uncomfortable this bike is for these kinds of rides than my Raleigh hybrid. The Trek has me leaning forward with much more of my weight on the handlebars, and after a couple of hours it got uncomfortable. I can easily do 50+ miles on the Raleigh and feel fine. I usually use the Trek for 10-15 mile rides around home on gravel and some pavement.
    Maybe it was the heat, but I don't think I will repeat that kind of a ride on the Trek soon.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, make it fit. It wasn't made for what you are using it for. But it can be reconfigured with a few adjustments and parts swaps.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Trek 820 that I use for an "about the town" bike. I put an adjustable stem and a riser bar on it to bring the handlebar positions up about 3" from stock. Much more comfy now.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Too much weight on hands generally means bar too low or saddle/bar reach too long. MTB's are not different from any other bike, and need to be fit to the rider and the task. MTB's also use bar ends to provide alternate hand positions in addition to leverage for climbing.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had an 820 many years ago and for offroad it was not that good. As a town bike or gentle trails it was fine. So if it did not cut it after only 38 miles- time to get sell it and get a real offroad bike.

http://www.whytebikes.com/whyte-2007/index.html
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, Wizwheelz 3.4 trike, Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One inexpensive solution might be to get a stem riser. I bought one from Performance Bicycle for my Balance MTB a decade ago when my then aerobelly interfered with my breathing if I hunched too far over the handlebars. I've lost the aerobelly but still have the MTB.

By coincidence I was riding my recumbent trike through my neighborhood a few weeks ago when I came across a silver-gray colored Trek 820 propped up against a garbage can along with two cheap kid's bikes. I grabbed the Trek and locked it to a nearby light pole until I could return home and get my car. I spent an hour or two cleaning, lubricating, and adjusting things on it. Everything worked on it and it only needs new tires. It's now in the hands of a kid who had badly outgrown his own bike and could really use a bigger one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stem riser, huh? Sounds like something to look into.

I don't think the stem on the 820 can be raised, can it?

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stem risers are $15-$20, raise the stem by 2.5" - 3"

Likewise a 3" or 4" riser handlebar will also cost $15-$20.

Just cross your fingers and hope your cables are long enough.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post