Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Blam!!!!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blam!!!!

Not sure which was worse.......

A blowout on the rear tire while pulling into a conveniece store or finding out the store was shuttered up.........and it was my only known watering hole on a 64 mile ride in the mountains.

Man that blowout was loud-my ears are still ringing!!! It blew out on the inside circumference of the tube and over a rim hole. It looks like the cloth rim tape just barely covers the hole so I'll redo it. I had a devil of a time getting the tire reseated on the rim as part of the tube right beside the valve kept getting between the bead and the rim. I finally figured out a fix but after I'd fidgeted with it way too long.

And found some water at a new store I was unaware of on down the road.

I was really out in the middle of nowhere. I had several plans running through my mind had I blown another tube on how to get back to my car-some 30+ miles away (I only carry one spare).

I also found out I am really out of cycling shape. But the golf game has never been better!!

Ever been stranded with equipment failure?? What did you do?
    Last edited by jppe; 08-19-07 at 06:49 AM.

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you made it OK.

I carry a few of the glueless patches and a spare tube. The patches don't last more than a few rides for me, but they are good enough to get you home. Then there is always the cell phone. Had to walk about 8 miles once when no one was home

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Ever been stranded with equipment failure?? What did you do?
    Used my cel phone to call a friend.
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a rear tire blow out one time as I was passing a couple who was on the sidewalk
    (I was in the road). Sounded like a ***** going off. Yep, the couple jumped sky high.
    Tee Hee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cut down a tire and blew out the tube while at the outer banks. Luck was with me, the blow out occurred right in front of a cyclist's cottage. We both saw the tire was toast so he offered me a ride back to my cottage. That was a lucky break.

I always carry my cell so I wasn't concerned because I could have called my wife. When I returned to the cottage and told her the story she asked if I knew the phone number to our cottage. Uhhh, the answer to that would be ummmmm, NO.
    That's when I realized just how lucky I was that I hitched a ride.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator