Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-18-07, 09:29 PM   #1
kordon
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOOK bikes

Any 50+ ride any of the LOOK road bikes? Just curious.
kordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-07, 01:45 PM   #2
Cleave
Old Road Racer
 
Cleave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
Posts: 5,250
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi,

Since you asked:



It's a 2005 KG481SL with a 2003 Campagnolo Record-10 group. I've had other Looks but this is the only one that I currently own.
__________________
Thanks.
Cleave
"Real men wear pink."
See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/
Cleave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-07, 01:51 PM   #3
kordon
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleave View Post
Hi,

Since you asked:



It's a 2005 KG481SL with a 2003 Campagnolo Record-10 group. I've had other Looks but this is the only one that I currently own.
Absolutely beautiful! What LOOK in your opinion would provide the most relaxed position (more upright)? I have a bit of s stiff low back.
kordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-07, 03:28 PM   #4
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.
 
Digital Gee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Reno, Nevada
Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Posts: 8,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleave View Post
Hi,

Since you asked:


Good looking garage door.
__________________
2015 Sirrus Elite
2012 Masi Evoluzione

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-07, 03:34 PM   #5
CrossChain
Senior Member
 
CrossChain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Especially attractive to my taste is its "normal" looking tubes......no strange, fat shapes or exotic bends. Or bizarre killer whale patterns that disrupt the lines of the bike. The more we strain to be uniquely different, the more we get out of aesthetic synch. Some bike makers just don't get that. (Subjective judgement of course.)
CrossChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-07, 04:29 PM   #6
terry b
Erstwhile Trogon
 
terry b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's mine:

terry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-07, 05:12 PM   #7
kordon
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very nice Terry! How the heck do you guys bend over that far? I love the look of LOOK. I feel I'm doomed I'll never bend that far to ride one. I hate my back! No fair.
kordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 05:51 AM   #8
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach
 
stonecrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Weston, FL
Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
Posts: 2,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gorgeous bikes
__________________
The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS
stonecrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 08:28 AM   #9
Cleave
Old Road Racer
 
Cleave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
Posts: 5,250
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kordon View Post
Very nice Terry! How the heck do you guys bend over that far? I love the look of LOOK. I feel I'm doomed I'll never bend that far to ride one. I hate my back! No fair.
Hello Kordon,

Saddle-to-bar drop is not so much a function of frame manufacturer and geometry as it is of sizing and fit. With today's rising stem designs you can tune the drop through spacers and stem angle. Current Look frames are available in 2cm increments (instead of small, medium, large) which also helps.
__________________
Thanks.
Cleave
"Real men wear pink."
See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/
Cleave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 03:32 PM   #10
kordon
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleave View Post
Hello Kordon,

Saddle-to-bar drop is not so much a function of frame manufacturer and geometry as it is of sizing and fit. With today's rising stem designs you can tune the drop through spacers and stem angle. Current Look frames are available in 2cm increments (instead of small, medium, large) which also helps.
Thank you Cleave. So there is is no reason my LBS should not be able to fit me and raise the bars to accommodate my back issues then? I realize from an aerodynamic stand point this is "road bike" counter productive, but at least I can enjoy riding the bike I want.
kordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 03:57 PM   #11
txdoc
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kordon, I recently purchased a LOOK 585. Rather than replicate my setup on my old bike, the fitter (a great one btw) setup the LOOK with the bars about even with the saddle (3cm of spacers) with the intent to remove spacers until we found the best position. With the variety of sizes, I believe you can find a setup that will work for your back.

If a LOOK is what you want, go for it. I originally was looking at bikes from other manufacturers and tested rode the LOOK to kill some time while they setup a Colnago. It spoke to me (in French of course so it may have said “get you old ***** off of me you fool”).
txdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 03:59 PM   #12
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kordon View Post
Thank you Cleave. So there is is no reason my LBS should not be able to fit me and raise the bars to accommodate my back issues then? I realize from an aerodynamic stand point this is "road bike" counter productive, but at least I can enjoy riding the bike I want.
How right you are. I have ridden Mountain bikes for years and only went into these Skinny tyred things last year. After years of setting a bike up to be comfortable- I was now trying to ride with my head between my knees. No I wasn't. within a few weeks I had the ride position dialled in with a new Riser stem and the bars level with the saddle. Then this year I got a top rate Bike. Full 15lbs race geometry bike that worked. Bars were 3" lower than the saddle- and that was with the Stem flipped over to raise the bars. I would still be able to adjust the height with a new stem so no problems. Except that the New Race bike was comfortable with the bars down low. Only had it a month and the Stem got flipped to lower the bars again and I now ride with my head almost between my knees.

If you "Want " a bike and you can get it set up to be how you want to ride it- Then go for it.


Edit--- Just take into consideration the other thing that us mature riders have to think of- Unless you live in the flatlands- Get a compact double crankset and a 12/27 rear cassette.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 04:38 PM   #13
kordon
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdoc View Post
Kordon, I recently purchased a LOOK 585. Rather than replicate my setup on my old bike, the fitter (a great one btw) setup the LOOK with the bars about even with the saddle (3cm of spacers) with the intent to remove spacers until we found the best position. With the variety of sizes, I believe you can find a setup that will work for your back.

If a LOOK is what you want, go for it. I originally was looking at bikes from other manufacturers and tested rode the LOOK to kill some time while they setup a Colnago. It spoke to me (in French of course so it may have said “get you old ***** off of me you fool”).
LOL, It will probably say the same to me. Thats exactly what I hoped to here, set the bars up even with the saddle and remove spacers till I like it. There is only one LOOK dealer in my area and he said what you did couldn't be done. Now I know it can be, think I'll have a chat with the manager. I would think selling a bike of this expense they would be willing to take a little more effort to help fit a guy with a bad back. Geeesh, thats what they're there for.

Last edited by kordon; 08-20-07 at 07:04 PM.
kordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 04:43 PM   #14
kordon
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
How right you are. I have ridden Mountain bikes for years and only went into these Skinny tyred things last year. After years of setting a bike up to be comfortable- I was now trying to ride with my head between my knees. No I wasn't. within a few weeks I had the ride position dialled in with a new Riser stem and the bars level with the saddle. Then this year I got a top rate Bike. Full 15lbs race geometry bike that worked. Bars were 3" lower than the saddle- and that was with the Stem flipped over to raise the bars. I would still be able to adjust the height with a new stem so no problems. Except that the New Race bike was comfortable with the bars down low. Only had it a month and the Stem got flipped to lower the bars again and I now ride with my head almost between my knees.

If you "Want " a bike and you can get it set up to be how you want to ride it- Then go for it.


Edit--- Just take into consideration the other thing that us mature riders have to think of- Unless you live in the flatlands- Get a compact double crankset and a 12/27 rear cassette.
Very interesting transition, there is hope for me. Good points on the compact crankset and cassette.
kordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:48 PM.