Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Things I've learned---CO2 inflators

Bought one of those CO2 inflators because "logic" and advertising told me they were lighter, more compact and quicker to use. It was one of those inflator/mini pump combos. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Here's what I learned: filling your tire with the CO2 will work until the CO2 leaks right through the tube and you are down on psi again. The mini pump is more mini than pump. The threaded cartridges are pretty expensive. There is a possibility that the CO2 cartridge can blow the chuck right out of the inflator head destroying your inflator's metering mechanism. Happened to me yesterday at mile 32 of a 52 mile ride. From now on there will always be a frame pump on my bike.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the twist on/twist off Innovation co2 adapter. Never had issues and has always gotten me back home. I might use 2 co2 cartridges a year so for me it not's a big deal.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I use the twist on/twist off Innovation co2 adapter. Never had issues and has always gotten me back home. I might use 2 co2 cartridges a year so for me it not's a big deal.
    My gf has the Innovation and I agree it's simpler than the Second Wind that I just destroyed. Unfortunately, I've had 4 flats in the past week after not having one all season.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always carry my full frame pump on the road. I've never had to borrow anyone's CO2 inflator when my pump wouldn't work, but I have loaned my pump to people with inflator problems a few times. On the other hand, I carry an inflator and cartridges on the MTB. On the few occasions I've needed it, it worked fine.

One thing for sure, mini-pumps are more work than pushing a bike.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get one of the Innovations "trigger" models.

They work great, allow you to partially inflate your tube, and can use the much cheaper non-threaded CO2 cartridges. I typically carry one cartridge in the inflator, plus 2 more in my minimalist seat bag.

With 3 cartridges and a spare tube, I've never been stranded in the last 30,000+ miles of cycling (except for one or two instances where the tire was cut so badly it couldn't hold a tube).
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full size Zefal frame pumps for me. HP and HPX have never failed. I've never felt the need to use CO2 or mini pumps.

The evolution of "on bike" inflation devices, in my opinion, has been going backwards. It should end with a full size frame pump. Marketing strikes again.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry both the CO2 as well as a frame pump. I only had to use the CO2 on a Bontrager tire once. Now that I don't use those tires, I've been flat free. I know I shouldn't say that, because if I head out to the garage right now, I'll probably looking at one.
    George

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everytime someone uses a CO2 cartridge, Al Gore kills a kitten.

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    actually he has stopped killing kittens now! He is requiring all cyclists to buy carbon offsets
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    I never see kittens around here anymore. I believe they are being held hostage by some wacko political group. Everywhere I go there are signs in front yards - "FREE KITTENS".

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    Bought one of those CO2 inflators because "logic" and advertising told me they were lighter, more compact and quicker to use. It was one of those inflator/mini pump combos. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Here's what I learned: filling your tire with the CO2 will work until the CO2 leaks right through the tube and you are down on psi again. The mini pump is more mini than pump. The threaded cartridges are pretty expensive. There is a possibility that the CO2 cartridge can blow the chuck right out of the inflator head destroying your inflator's metering mechanism. Happened to me yesterday at mile 32 of a 52 mile ride. From now on there will always be a frame pump on my bike.
    There is a recall for these inflators.

recall info

They say:
    "The unit can shatter while under pressure while inflating tires."

I guess you can confirm that.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always resisted the Call for these modern gadgets. I have a pump fitted to all of my bikes but I am now convinced that I have taken the right choice. Yesterday and in the LBS and someone came in for a Frame pump- carrying his bike. Ultra lightweight Go faster Italian thing is bright red. He got a puncture about 3 miles away and could not inflate his tyre with the CO2 unit he had fitted to the bike.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Get one of the Innovations "trigger" models.

It was a "trigger" model that blew apart as I was using it. In fact, after the chuck blew out of the head, the trigger and spring behind it fell out too.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a "trigger" model that blew apart as I was using it. In fact, after the chuck blew out of the head, the trigger and spring behind it fell out too.
    I saw this happen to a rider on a recent bike tour. He had a trigger model and it blew apart when he tried to use it. Fortunately one of the other riders had a frame pump to get him going again. I carry C02 and a frame pump. I just don't want to get caught out on the road unprepared.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbait View Post
    There is a recall for these inflators.

recall info

They say:
    "The unit can shatter while under pressure while inflating tires."
    The product fails in performing the only task it was designed to do??

Kinda like having a ladder that works just fine, until someone steps on it.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird...I've used several of their models over the last 10 years and given several to friends as presents. Never once have I had a problem like that (or, any other problems with them).
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I never see kittens around here anymore. I believe they are being held hostage by some wacko political group. Everywhere I go there are signs in front yards - "FREE KITTENS".

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Full size Zefal frame pumps for me. HP and HPX have never failed. I've never felt the need to use CO2 or mini pumps.

The evolution of "on bike" inflation devices, in my opinion, has been going backwards. It should end with a full size frame pump. Marketing strikes again.
    I concur completely.

Bianchi & Capo #1: Zefal HP-X
    Capo #2: Mt. Zefal; anachronistic, but it fits between the downtube pegs
    UO-8: Blackburn, which fits between the downtube pegs
    Schwinn: Mt. Zefal (fits original braze-on pump peg on back of seat tube)
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope I haven't made a mistake with the air pump I got for my ti-bike: It is a "Titan One", made by Barbieri.
    * 142 PSI ... albeit after a couple of kazillion pumps.
    * Weight: 75 grams
    * Length: 23 cm

I read good write-ups about this one, as far as mini-pumps go. Anybody familiar with the Barbieri Titan One?

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your experience is similar to my own. Tried it, didn't like the result. With the frame pumps on the market today, I can't think of any reason not to carry one.
    I thought I was suffering from depression once. Turned out, I was simply surrounded by idiots.

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve been using the microflate, http://www.genuineinnovations.com/mo...=8&prodid=1016, for 5years, I havenít had any problems with it. As far as the CO2 leaking out, the tire might be slightly down the next day. Iíve never had the unit fail me and Iíve never had a tire go soft during a ride. I use the 16g cartridges and they fill my tires, 700X25, to 110 psi. I carry 2 tubes, 5 cartridges and a patch kit, the only reason is because I do double and triples. I had my first flat in almost a year Friday, it was when I took my bike down off the wall (d#&& goathead).
    Make mine a double!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanteB View Post
    Iíve been using the microflate, http://www.genuineinnovations.com/mo...=8&prodid=1016, for 5years, I havenít had any problems with it. As far as the CO2 leaking out, the tire might be slightly down the next day. Iíve never had the unit fail me and Iíve never had a tire go soft during a ride.
    In my case, I top my tires off before every ride, so it's a self-limiting problem - CO2 out and fresh air goes in.
    Dennis T

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to carry a road morph but with the new bike it was too difficult to find a good mounting place and I hate carrying pumps in my pockets to I went back to CO2. For me it is a lot easier to carry a inflater and three 16g cartridges in my seat pack. The 16g will fill a tire up to 120psi and I use one that can use either screw on or non-threaded cartridges. If I use CO2 I always empty the tire when I get home and refill with my floor pump. CO2 does not last as long as air.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=DanteB;5103323]................ As far as the CO2 leaking out, the tire might be slightly down the next day. Iíve never had the unit fail me and Iíve never had a tire go soft during a ride. I use the 16g cartridges and they fill my tires, 700X25, to 110 psi. .......... QUOTE]

I've been using the 16oz cartridge too. The first time I used a cartridge was on a 25 mi. ride. I was about 5-6 mi. from home. The next day the tire was down to about 80 psi. I run them at 120 psi. This most recent event happened on a 55 mi. ride when I was at mile 30. About 10 mi. later my tire was soft enough that I had to stop and pump it up with my gf's frame pump.

What I'd really like to find is that frame pump that folds out like a floor pump but I've forgotten the brand.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I'd really like to find is that frame pump that folds out like a floor pump but I've forgotten the brand.
    The road morph is probably the best frame type pump you can buy. It has a small foot that folds out and uses a tube for connecting the chuck to the valve and has a pressure gauge. It not very large either and most people give it best marks. I loved mine but just had no place to mount it on my bike since I have two cages on the down tubes and it interfered with the cables on the top tube
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast