User Tag List

My Bikes
    2009 Custom TI Frame Road Bike, all 2007 Campy Record, Campy Euros Wheelset
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did 101 miles last saturday

ok, so maybe this sounds like bragging, anyway here it is.

I've been training for a century ride up in Macanaw City Michigan next month and made my goal somewhat early. I've really been working, riding about 250 miles a week for the last two weeks; this is a lot aompared to what I had been doing (maybe 100 miles/week). Last weekend I did my first 100 miler. Longest ride before that was 65 miles, the weekend before. Granted, this is in south eastern Michigan (flat to rolling), and the ride next month probably has a lot more hills, but I did it.

and I didn't die doing it. OK, my average speed for the whole day was only 10 miles an hour; this included an hour long lunch break, and rest stops about every 20 miles. And yes, the max temperature barely broke 72 degrees, wind was not too bad, so I had an easy day. After it was over, I DID ice my thighs, they felt like they had a fever when it was over. That helped a LOT, i think. I was a little sore, nothing serious. HAd it not rained all day yesterday, I would have done a 20-30 mile recovery ride. ANd its still raining today. rats.

I'm pumped. And I'm doing it again.
    2009 Custom TI Frame touring Bike. S&S couplers, XTR Drivetrain. LOW granny.
    2009 Performance Bicycles TI (by Lynsky) road frame, 7900 DA, 7950 DA Compact Crank, Light Niobium Rim Wheels

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like my coach used to say, it ain't braggin' if it's true!

Way to go!

I'm still working on my first century and discovered over the weekend I have a ways to go. My son and I are planning our own personal century ride in Maine the first weekend in October. We're still picking routes but it will probably be along the coast.

So far I've worked up to 75 miles, and figured the jump to 100 was not going to be too bad . . . until this weekend. My wife and I met my son to bike the trails between Silverthorne and Breckenridge. The first 20 miles was to Breckenridge and back, with lunch along the way. Then my son and I decided to toss off a quick 40 miles. We hit it hard for one hour and covered 20 miles, the fastest either of us had ever ridden. The route was slightly downhill -- from 8,700 to 7,900 feet elevation -- so that helped. But the return trip was tough. We were beat at the end and we pondered whether a century was in our reach as we sipped iced tea. Upon reflection, it was probably the elevation, plus a slight headwind, plus the slight grade, plus the unrealistic pace at the beginning.

At any rate, great job on your 101 mile ride . . . did you get any pictures?
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice step-up! I like your easy going pace, better to pace yourself and get the job done, you can always work on speed later.

101 miles! Definitely something you can brag about, to family, friends, co-workers, and anyone else within earshot.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradopenguin View Post
    Like my coach used to say, it ain't braggin' if it's true!

Way to go!

+1
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good deal and major congratulations on a major ride.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Tirreno Razza 900, Trek 750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now you are better than those that do 100 miles, you did 101!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! 101 miles is fantastic and you have every right to some bragging.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outstanding!! Congrats on the Century!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbpence View Post
    ok, so maybe this sounds like bragging
    I think it does qualify as bragging, but then again you earned the braggin' rights!

Well done and have fun on the Macanaw City century!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go ask your friends how many have done anything like a century. Even those who are frequent bikers have rarely accomplished that feat. You did it, and you should be proud. Be doubly proud in a few weeks when you do it again, and again.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a few weeks??? I plan on doing it again it this saturday, if it doesn't rain.
    2009 Performance Bicycles TI (by Lynsky) road frame, 7900 DA, 7950 DA Compact Crank, Light Niobium Rim Wheels

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats...
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! Welcome to the century club! Avg mph doesn't matter...100 miles is 100 miles! Like someone said, how many of your friends could do that??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Done !!!!!!!!

I've always believed that speed is unimportant, it's the enjoyment that counts.
    If all of our rides were judged by avg. speed.....none of my miles would ever count.

I've got a lot of respect for your physical condition, as I do for all the BFers doing
    centuries, only being at the 20-30 mile level myself !

Happy Trails

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my speed was OK, I can hang in a pace line with what the club labels level A group rides for a couple hours. I just took numerous longish breaks. My AVERAGE speed SUCKED big time, and I didn't care. I set a modest goal, i wanted to finish. I'll work on the elapsed time. Well, actually, I won't really work on it, it will just improve the more I do it. I'm not in a contest. I've only been riding a year and 3 months. A month ago my longest ride was only 40 miles. Granted that was when I lived in northern NM southern rockies, so it included a couple 2500' climbs, and a strecth where pedaling was not required for 13 miles. I miss that climbing. OR do i mess the 45 MPH descent? Probably the latter.

My Bikes
    3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'm in a personal contest that began with undefined weight loss and fitness goals and now evolves to charting progress.

I too did my first century (since 1976). In July I rode a solo 104 miles from a Boston suburb to Chatham on Cape Cod and other than traffic lights and stop signs didn't stop until 70 miles. I bonked, ate too much food and dragged my now foul mood the last 34 niles grumbling about miserable traffic. I've been training quite a bit.

Yesterday I rode a solo metric century (actually 67 miles/107km) duplicate to one I rode 10 days earlier with a few friends. Same exact average speed but average heart rate (144) and work (198 kj) was 30% higher on the solo ride. I figure the dramatic delta was due to no drafting and on the group ride we stopped several times. Ride time was identical but total trip elapsed time was at least 40 minutes longer with the group.

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great! My first century is still in the future. It will happen though.
    Just Peddlin' Around