Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm Feeling Great - How About You, 50+'r?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: ARE YOU FEELNG GREAT TODAY?
I AM FEELING GREAT TODAY!
76.19%
OTHERWISE
23.81%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

I'm Feeling Great - How About You, 50+'r?

Old 08-22-07, 02:36 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I'm feeling great. I turn fifty nine next week and nothing much is hurting although I still have a cast on my left arm for a wrist I broke a while back. When I swapped the full arm cast for a shorty a few days ago I went out to see how it felt on the bike and discovered that I (or my son??) had twisted the front wheel backing out the car. It was so out of true that I could not adjust the brakes to accommodate the wobble. But my recent bike fixing 101 course paid off - I replaced a damaged spoke and was able to true it up to reasonable condition. And the shorty cast is not too bad on around the neighborhood jaunts. Whoo hoo.
Old 08-22-07, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yippeee!
Three days in a row with an early morning ride. Summer's starting late but wow is it great!
20 miles each Mon and Tues in the drizzle, and 31 miles this morning in a more steady rain.
Bike trails are all but abandoned, roads are quiet and Cranky ain't cranky today.
Old 08-22-07, 02:39 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I figure any day on this side of the lawn is pretty good....
Old 08-22-07, 02:45 PM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 67walkon
I'm 57. 6 weeks ago I had open heart surgery to replace an aortic valve, to repair an aneurism and they threw in a maze procedure to resolve some old afib issues that were mostly under control. If they hadn't caught the aneurism in time, I would have died. It might have been next week or next year, but it was certain.
John
Great inspiration! It sure puts our little complaints into perspective. Glad they caught it and may you be back to your old mileage soon.
Old 08-22-07, 03:32 PM
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Physically, feeling great. Had two personal bests on Monday. 1) I did a 72 mile ride and managed the entire trip over 16 mph average. 2) The first 36 were at 17.5 mph average. Both are over a mile per hour faster than my best ever rides

Emotionally not so good.
Old 08-22-07, 03:34 PM
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh and I got chomped by another WASP on Monday....this time I have pictures. Will post them when I get home
Old 08-22-07, 03:55 PM
Flying & Biking Member

Bikes: TREK 2005 Navigator 200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FEELING OUTSTANDING!!!!!! I rode a 52 miler (my age) a few weeks ago on my Trek Navigator. Today I went to my family physician for a routine physical and he said he has very few, if any 52 year old men coming in to his office that are in as good of shape as me. After that comment, I think I could have a broken leg and still feel pretty good! God is wonderful!

Old 08-22-07, 06:24 PM

Bikes: 80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Life is good today just sucked!
Gusty Cross winds all day 71 and thunderstorms in the AM 90+ and scorching by quitting time... Arthritis is acting up and work is nutz and they keep cutting into my ride time with their silly Arse bull cookies and I JUST WANT TO GO RIDE!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-07, 06:37 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was feeling tired and worn out all day. I still left work early to ride 30+ miles (up from 23 last week). I have to add 7 - 8 miles a week until Columbus weekend when I do a century. I managed 33 miles in 2 hours and now feel tired & exhausted - but glad I rode.
Old 08-22-07, 07:46 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feeling great.
Came to terms with my retirement effective September 1, 2007 plus consulting with pay until February 2008. Had and will have two retirement parties. One paid by company and one by me.
Working only half days and bike 50 miles daily.

My wife and I will start doing biking vacations starting 9/1/07.

Our health is excellent (knock on wood. Wife goes to church daily, that may help)

Need to get our financial house in order. Other than that, not a worry in the world.
Our son is becoming a serious biker and gave up smoking.
Old 08-22-07, 07:52 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10951 Post(s)
Liked 4,605 Times in 2,112 Posts
Originally Posted by 67walkon
Great is the only way to be!

One of you said each day is a gift. I start every day now thanking God for the gift of that day.
My RoadID has the motto "Life is a gift; use it" inscribed on it.

Old 08-22-07, 07:57 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everything changes with time. Not feeling so hot the last two days. Bit of malaise. Supposed to be very windy tomorrow so will take a day off the bike and see if I feel more upbeat.

Last edited by RockyMtnMerlin; 08-22-07 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-23-07, 07:47 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Trek 2200, Trek 1500, Trek 720

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel GREAT. Rode a 102 mile Century Saturday, turned 60 Sunday, retired yesterday after 31 years of teaching! I have money in the bank, a terrific pension, a loving and wonderful partner, 3 fantastic kids, good health and I can ride my bike everyday. I am truly blesssed
Old 08-24-07, 09:20 AM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 265 Posts
I've been better. This year was disruptive as we decided to sell our home & build another in Oregon. This cut deeply into my cycling as there were numerous home improvement tasks and I had to reduce my bike stuff by selling or giving away all but the best bikes, projects and spare parts. The house, garage & workshop area never looked better.

I got somewhat depressed as my ailing Labrador, Cher continued to decline & had to be put down July 6. Three weeks later, I almost lost my left thumb to a gas powered hedge trimmer in a fall down by the lake. The ER did a great job sewing everything back together & I am making a good recovery with almost normal movement & only a small numb spot.

We adopted a young female Lab mix from the local shelter & have a buyer for our house. The new pup is fitting in with our other dog & the cat. Training "Peaches" (the new dog) and our looming move has lifted my spirits & I'm beginning to look forward to getting started with the permit process & finding some good sub-contractors. Eventually I'll be back to my normal riding schedule with a new area to explore.
Life is good! Don
Old 08-24-07, 12:54 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You guys have some real inspiration going on here -- so glad I read this entire thread. The honesty and emotion I find here is amazing. That many of you take the time to reflect speaks volumes to me as to the quality people you are. Thank you for your stories and your transparency and your passion.

Life's great!