Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

One year ago

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

One year ago

Old 08-21-07, 06:22 AM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One year ago

One year ago I went to my doctor for a physical, you know, that annual thing I do every 3 or 4 years. He told me that at 57 years of age my condition was not too bad, but certainly could be better. I would need to start medicine of different types, or I could try getting into shape. I told him I would try a bicycle for that exercise.
One day ago I went for an actual annual physical. The differences were surpirsing to my doctor. My blood pressure has been high for 5 years. Yesterday it was 120/82. My weight one year ago was 257, yesterday it was 230. He started the exam and then said, "Hey, you have developed abs." Then a little heart exam. The result was a restive (sp) heart rate of 78 last year, and this year it was down to 52. The doctor said that was VERY significant. He said to stay on the bicycle, that my results were some of the best he had seen. YEA, YEA, YEA. My goal this year is to take off 20 more pounds and to enjoy my new sport and my healthier body.
Old 08-21-07, 06:24 AM
train safe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
like they say, cycling is the 'fountain of youth'... although it won't add years to your life, it will add life to your years!

congratulations on the improvement, and hoping the next year brings even more-

train safe-
Old 08-21-07, 07:34 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! You've made a significant improvement in the last year. Just think where you'll be next year with another year of cycling.

I went through a similar makeover about 11 years ago. I decided it was time to make some lifestyle changes or start suffering from medical problems prevalent in my family - diabetes, heart problems, cancer, etc. Cycling, diet and other forms of exercise seem to be working for me, too.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 08-21-07, 08:47 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
congratulations, the same thing happened to me, isn't it great. I still can't get below 200# though, I guess I'll have to try to get off sugar, maybe. By the way, being at 200#, some of the bike shops say that I should have more than 32 spokes, get some stronger wheels. What do you think about that?
Old 08-21-07, 08:53 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As someone say, "You don't stop doing things because you get older; you get older because you stop doing things." Congratulations.
Old 08-21-07, 09:07 AM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Great news - Every time a Doc gets to do blood work on me, they always say the same thing:

"I wish I had your test results."
Old 08-21-07, 09:13 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
The result was a restive (sp) heart rate of 78 last year, and this year it was down to 52. The doctor said that was VERY significant. He said to stay on the bicycle, that my results were some of the best he had seen. YEA, YEA, YEA. My goal this year is to take off 20 more pounds and to enjoy my new sport and my healthier body.
Hey, good for you BA! Lowering your RHR by over 20 beats is something to be proud of for sure.

Ride on!

... Brad
Old 08-21-07, 12:05 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by George
congratulations, the same thing happened to me, isn't it great. I still can't get below 200# though, I guess I'll have to try to get off sugar, maybe. By the way, being at 200#, some of the bike shops say that I should have more than 32 spokes, get some stronger wheels. What do you think about that?
Yep. The heavier riders are not only heavy on the wheels- They have stronger legs putting more torque and strain on them aswell.

I know I am paranoid about wheels but I am a believer in Hand built wheels. The Boreas has a set of Shimano Ultegras on it but these were stripped and rebuilt by a wheel builder before I even saw them. The "Training" wheels are mavic CXP rims- 36spokes crossed x 2 to 105 hubs. Not an expensive pair of wheels but they roll superbly and the crossed spokes give some suspension. On the MTB's Hand built wheels again except for the Mavic Crossrides and they were run for 50 miles and passed to the wheelbuilder to tweak.

Now to strength- Everone says 32 spokes but the extra weight of 4 spokes is minimal. AND 36 spokes cures a spoking problem that occurs with 32.

Now back to Bike Arkansas-- That is a remarkable improvement you have made in just a year. Keep it up and see the health improve again.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-21-07, 01:12 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Way to go.
Old 08-21-07, 01:15 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job! Not just in your test results but in your decision to make a change and stick with it.
Old 08-21-07, 01:17 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crtreedude
Great news - Every time a Doc gets to do blood work on me, they always say the same thing:

"I wish I had your test results."
That's what the much-younger doc told Hubby before his shoulder surgery..... before he started cycling, but after years of walking. I wonder what his results would be now, a year later.
Old 08-21-07, 01:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, that's great! You have set the bar for us ol' middle-aged, hypertensives to follow.
Keep on keeping on... just think of where you'll be in another year.

Resting heart rate. I've been so BP focused, I never even thought much about it.
Old 08-21-07, 01:27 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding the lower BP..... did you also make big changes in your diet? Oatmeal every day? Lower sodium intake?
Old 08-21-07, 02:11 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Congratulations. Your results do not surprise me in the least; I owe my current health and overall physical condition to my cumulative 100k miles of cycling.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-21-07, 02:25 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
One year ago I went to my doctor for a physical, you know, that annual thing I do every 3 or 4 years. He told me that at 57 years of age my condition was not too bad, but certainly could be better. I would need to start medicine of different types, or I could try getting into shape. I told him I would try a bicycle for that exercise.
One day ago I went for an actual annual physical. The differences were surpirsing to my doctor. My blood pressure has been high for 5 years. Yesterday it was 120/82. My weight one year ago was 257, yesterday it was 230. He started the exam and then said, "Hey, you have developed abs." Then a little heart exam. The result was a restive (sp) heart rate of 78 last year, and this year it was down to 52. The doctor said that was VERY significant. He said to stay on the bicycle, that my results were some of the best he had seen. YEA, YEA, YEA. My goal this year is to take off 20 more pounds and to enjoy my new sport and my healthier body.
Isn't it remarkable what a bike can do for a person? Congrats on all the great gains!

Lowering your resting heart rate is a major deal, also I'll bet that when you really push it and get your heart rate up then stop that your HR drops down very quickly. Another sign of good cardio conditioning.
Keep it up and good luck getting that next 20 pounds off.
Old 08-21-07, 02:29 PM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm impressed, way to go!!
Old 08-21-07, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those are good results, good on you for getting them the old fashioned way.
Old 08-21-07, 03:40 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Good for you-and for those that care about you!!!
Old 08-21-07, 03:51 PM
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia

Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love it when the doc asks my age

"How old!!!!"

keep cycling, keep young.

george
Old 08-21-07, 03:53 PM
NYC Maggie Backstedt fan

Bikes: Trek road and hybrid bikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hearty congratulations. And keep up the good work!
Old 08-21-07, 04:03 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Well done. Carry on, young lad.
Old 08-21-07, 04:03 PM
Hanging On

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations! It's more incentive for the rest of us to keep going.
Old 08-21-07, 05:53 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
Regarding the lower BP..... did you also make big changes in your diet? Oatmeal every day? Lower sodium intake?
Actually I have changed my diet very little. Most of my weight loss etc. has come from the exercise alone. My plan for this year is to work on the diet, so maybe I can lose the other 20 pounds. My diet is not horrible, but certainly not what it should be. I am now in the process of selecting the correct diet for the next year. Not an easy task. Thanks for asking, and thanks to all for the encouragement.