Thread: One year ago

My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One year ago

One year ago I went to my doctor for a physical, you know, that annual thing I do every 3 or 4 years. He told me that at 57 years of age my condition was not too bad, but certainly could be better. I would need to start medicine of different types, or I could try getting into shape. I told him I would try a bicycle for that exercise.
    One day ago I went for an actual annual physical. The differences were surpirsing to my doctor. My blood pressure has been high for 5 years. Yesterday it was 120/82. My weight one year ago was 257, yesterday it was 230. He started the exam and then said, "Hey, you have developed abs." Then a little heart exam. The result was a restive (sp) heart rate of 78 last year, and this year it was down to 52. The doctor said that was VERY significant. He said to stay on the bicycle, that my results were some of the best he had seen. YEA, YEA, YEA. My goal this year is to take off 20 more pounds and to enjoy my new sport and my healthier body.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    like they say, cycling is the 'fountain of youth'... although it won't add years to your life, it will add life to your years!

congratulations on the improvement, and hoping the next year brings even more-

train safe-

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! You've made a significant improvement in the last year. Just think where you'll be next year with another year of cycling.

I went through a similar makeover about 11 years ago. I decided it was time to make some lifestyle changes or start suffering from medical problems prevalent in my family - diabetes, heart problems, cancer, etc. Cycling, diet and other forms of exercise seem to be working for me, too.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congratulations, the same thing happened to me, isn't it great. I still can't get below 200# though, I guess I'll have to try to get off sugar, maybe. By the way, being at 200#, some of the bike shops say that I should have more than 32 spokes, get some stronger wheels. What do you think about that?
    George

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone say, "You don't stop doing things because you get older; you get older because you stop doing things." Congratulations.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news - Every time a Doc gets to do blood work on me, they always say the same thing:

"I wish I had your test results."

bac
    My Bikes
    Too many to list!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    The result was a restive (sp) heart rate of 78 last year, and this year it was down to 52. The doctor said that was VERY significant. He said to stay on the bicycle, that my results were some of the best he had seen. YEA, YEA, YEA. My goal this year is to take off 20 more pounds and to enjoy my new sport and my healthier body.
    Hey, good for you BA! Lowering your RHR by over 20 beats is something to be proud of for sure.

Ride on!

... Brad

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    congratulations, the same thing happened to me, isn't it great. I still can't get below 200# though, I guess I'll have to try to get off sugar, maybe. By the way, being at 200#, some of the bike shops say that I should have more than 32 spokes, get some stronger wheels. What do you think about that?
    Yep. The heavier riders are not only heavy on the wheels- They have stronger legs putting more torque and strain on them aswell.

I know I am paranoid about wheels but I am a believer in Hand built wheels. The Boreas has a set of Shimano Ultegras on it but these were stripped and rebuilt by a wheel builder before I even saw them. The "Training" wheels are mavic CXP rims- 36spokes crossed x 2 to 105 hubs. Not an expensive pair of wheels but they roll superbly and the crossed spokes give some suspension. On the MTB's Hand built wheels again except for the Mavic Crossrides and they were run for 50 miles and passed to the wheelbuilder to tweak.

Now to strength- Everone says 32 spokes but the extra weight of 4 spokes is minimal. AND 36 spokes cures a spoking problem that occurs with 32.

Now back to Bike Arkansas-- That is a remarkable improvement you have made in just a year. Keep it up and see the health improve again.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job! Not just in your test results but in your decision to make a change and stick with it.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    Great news - Every time a Doc gets to do blood work on me, they always say the same thing:

"I wish I had your test results."
    That's what the much-younger doc told Hubby before his shoulder surgery..... before he started cycling, but after years of walking. I wonder what his results would be now, a year later.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's great! You have set the bar for us ol' middle-aged, hypertensives to follow.
    Keep on keeping on... just think of where you'll be in another year.

Resting heart rate. I've been so BP focused, I never even thought much about it.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the lower BP..... did you also make big changes in your diet? Oatmeal every day? Lower sodium intake?
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. Your results do not surprise me in the least; I owe my current health and overall physical condition to my cumulative 100k miles of cycling.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    One year ago I went to my doctor for a physical, you know, that annual thing I do every 3 or 4 years. He told me that at 57 years of age my condition was not too bad, but certainly could be better. I would need to start medicine of different types, or I could try getting into shape. I told him I would try a bicycle for that exercise.
    One day ago I went for an actual annual physical. The differences were surpirsing to my doctor. My blood pressure has been high for 5 years. Yesterday it was 120/82. My weight one year ago was 257, yesterday it was 230. He started the exam and then said, "Hey, you have developed abs." Then a little heart exam. The result was a restive (sp) heart rate of 78 last year, and this year it was down to 52. The doctor said that was VERY significant. He said to stay on the bicycle, that my results were some of the best he had seen. YEA, YEA, YEA. My goal this year is to take off 20 more pounds and to enjoy my new sport and my healthier body.
    Isn't it remarkable what a bike can do for a person? Congrats on all the great gains!

Lowering your resting heart rate is a major deal, also I'll bet that when you really push it and get your heart rate up then stop that your HR drops down very quickly. Another sign of good cardio conditioning.
    Keep it up and good luck getting that next 20 pounds off.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm impressed, way to go!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are good results, good on you for getting them the old fashioned way.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you-and for those that care about you!!!

Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
    My Bikes
    Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love it when the doc asks my age

"How old!!!!"

keep cycling, keep young.

george
    ---------------------------------------------------
    https://sites.google.com/site/imjibi/home

Photos of present tour of South East Asia
    http://picasaweb.google.com/georgeidf50/southeastasia

NYC Maggie Backstedt fan
    My Bikes
    Trek road and hybrid bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hearty congratulations. And keep up the good work!
    "I can't believe we still have to protest this crap." - courtesy, Johnny Monkey

Visit "Inspirations and Aspirations" at http://alanfleisig.wordpress.com/

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done. Carry on, young lad.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Hanging On
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! It's more incentive for the rest of us to keep going.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Regarding the lower BP..... did you also make big changes in your diet? Oatmeal every day? Lower sodium intake?
    Actually I have changed my diet very little. Most of my weight loss etc. has come from the exercise alone. My plan for this year is to work on the diet, so maybe I can lose the other 20 pounds. My diet is not horrible, but certainly not what it should be. I am now in the process of selecting the correct diet for the next year. Not an easy task. Thanks for asking, and thanks to all for the encouragement.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.