Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Windbag Factor

Dear Abby,

I'm not sure why, but lately on group rides I seem to have the unique ability to attract people who like to talk. And talk. And talk. I'm very much a social animal and a reasonably good listener, but after awhile it can get, well, just plain tedious.

Go fast and these gasbags hang with you. Go slow and they say, "I think I need a little recovery time." Stop to take a pee, and, yep, they need to stop to take a pee, too.

I guess I could give them a Greta Garbo look and say, "I vant to be alone." But I'd really rather find a more graceful escape.

Any answers?

Sign me, "All Ears All the Time"
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Ol' Paint
    My Bikes
    90s(?)Bianchi Advantage, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix, 80s(?) Raleigh Gran Sport mixte, '95 Schwinn Clear Creek, '88(?) Fuji, '69 Schwinn Flyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go VERY fast? If everyone is busy sucking air, there is none left over to waste on chit-chat.
    "In my cathedral,
    colored glass holds no candle to
    sunlight through trees."
    -- Leon Briggs

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Try this?
    Last edited by maddmaxx; 03-30-08 at 06:55 AM.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get more irritated in group rides when riders ahead of me in the line get into conversations and allow gaps to form or create a slinky effect behind them. Normally we get the chatting done in the first 5 miles or so while people are warming up or during waits on lights. During the ride you should be focused on the ride otherwise you may cause an accident. Why not use that as your excuse, 'I need to pay attention to the riders around me and your distracting me' ?
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could it be that someone put a sign on your back? Or, maybe your just the kind of friendly face that others feel comfortable with. Why, I remember when I was in high school, or was it right after? Anyway, there was this guy with a great 70 Firebird, red I think, with black leather seats, who had the most friendly face. It didn't matter where he went, people would come up to him and just start talking. In fact, one time we were at May's Drive-In getting their super shrimp basket and cold root beer, or was it birch beer? In any event, the four of us, Manny, More, Jack, and I counted the people who came up to talk to him. And would you believe it was well over 12 people... in less than half an hour. Boy, I haven't thought about that drive-in for a long time. It used to be THE place to hang out and be seen. One of the owner's daughters was in my class. I wonder what ever happened to her. She was a pretty good kid. Oh, yeah, they also used to make a great pulled pork sandwich. OK, back to your problem. Maybe there's something else going on. Have you asked any of the other folks you ride with what they think? Of course, I'd only ask the one's I could trust to be honest yet discreet. You don't want to become the topic of the next four or five rides. But then again if you did they probably wouldn't be talking to you. My point is that it could be that they have some insight. Oh, yeah that reminds me of the time my wife asked me what I thought about going to her mother's for the holidays. I asked her if this is what she really wanted to know, or if she just wanted to know if I was willing to go. I mean, if I told her what I was actually thinking, it would not have been a good thing. So, I took a deep breath and said, what do you really want to know? I'm a firm believer in never asking for feedback unless you want it. And, I think that holds true for giving feedback as well. Once, I believe it was my first job after my first son was born. Man, was he a cute kid, but in no way was I prepared to be a father yet. I wonder if anyone is until after they become one? Anyhow, what were we talking about?

You could try the same strategy on them. Talk their ears off.
    Last edited by BSLeVan; 08-22-07 at 08:53 AM.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    Go fast and these gasbags hang with you. Go slow and they say, "I think I need a little recovery time." Stop to take a pee, and, yep, they need to stop to take a pee, too.
    Pee on his foot?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Old Enough to Know Better WalterMitty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a white bike.

Youth we got, what we need is a fountain of Smart!

"Does it ever occur to you that I am sometimes thinking?"

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell them it's been nice chatting but you need to catch up with a friend and ride away
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try being direct and say something like- you'll have to excuse me, but I'm really not in a talkative mood today. Hopefully, they will get the message.

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously, you're picking the wrong rides in your club. Get with the Spartans.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Pee on his foot?
    Thanks, all, for the thoughtful responses. I think I'll start with this one.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a handful of metal tacks along with you and sprinkle the road as needed.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ticwanos View Post
    Go VERY fast? If everyone is busy sucking air, there is none left over to waste on chit-chat.
    +12

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chew tobacco. Spit often.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ticwanos View Post
    My very fast is me sucking air and everyone else still able to talk.

Some people attract the geeks- so just respond with "Have you visited the Gay bar In the High Street- Haven't seen you down there" If the response is that he tries to kiss you- Find that energy to lose him. And I believe you will.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I don't mind chit-chat to some degree. I don't generally prefer focusing on somebody's wheel all day. If I get stuck in a group doing paceline at higher speeds I eventually look for a straggler and hang back to socialize with them. I have viewed our annual WI trip as like a 9 day rolling party where you mingle all around the group conversing with whomever is next to you. And then sometimes I feel like grabbing on to a pace line and burning leg all afternoon.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    put the hammer to the anvil,
    conversation stops quickly when everyone's heart is in their mouth
    do it often enough and you'll develop a rep which will work like BO or a string of garlic...
    Last edited by cyclezen; 08-22-07 at 03:25 PM.

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear "Ears",
    Assuming you have proper position on the offending windbag, launching an errant snot rocket followed by a feeble "Oops, sorry..." should also do the trick nicely!
    Last edited by Old School; 08-22-07 at 02:54 PM.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

Violin guitar mandolin
    My Bikes
    Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm amazed at the mean things folks suggest. I'd just tell the talker that I really needed some alone time. People don't generally try to be rude. Being truthful isn't a shameful thing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear All:

Have you tried frightening Mr. Windbag away by chewing on an alka seltzer, getting foamy at the mouth and giving him a demented grin, then demanding he tell you more? You may safely assume the normal rules of decorum have been suspended whilst on a group ride with an annoying windbag, and abnormal behavior on your part is permissible, though you should still avoid the truly bizarre.

Sincerely,

Abigail Van Buren
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do what I do, always ride alone...

My Bikes
    80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't wash your jersey anymore this season and stay upwind of them so that every breath for words gets them a good lung full of whiffy jersey, soon you'll be able to travel in your own little green cloud of silence and you'll ride that much faster as you try to out pace your own fetid aroma.

I know, I know, but no thanks are necessary just pay it forward

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A well aimed snot rocket should do the trick...
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guybierhaus View Post
    Chew tobacco. Spit often.
    +1. I engage in this nasty habit once in a while during a ride, but I've never had to resort to this tactic during a group ride. We do our chit-chat during the first two or three miles or at stops. I usually warn people that I'm about to have a chew.

It's all about the Ort. TrackGuy's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Centurion Trac; Carnielli; Ross Mt Hood; TREK 5200.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain... I run for a local running club, there are couple people that just yak on and on. Even yelling "SHUT UP AND RUN!" has no effect. Not sure that anything suggested above would work. Runners are uncouth, smelly people. Sweat and pee would not deter many. Our singlets stink to high heaven. We are masters of the Farmer's Blow. The most intimate details of your latest injury is met with genuine interest. The Talkers even yak away during 400 meter interval training, to the uninitiated, this is way above the "conversational" effort recommended in Runner's World magazine. We're talking Republic of Anaerobia here.

The one and only thing that I've found to be even moderately effective in these extreme cases is to fight fire with fire: you have to actually be able to talk more than they do, they will eventually get bored with listening to someone other than themselves and move on to someone else's ear. This is easier said than done when in extreme oxygen debt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast