Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Experience with Carbon Handlebars

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Experience with Carbon Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-07, 05:05 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
This is a great point (as were others I received). I will test ride FSA K-Wings on a Madone to see how comfy they are for me. The objective of the replacement was to open up my chest a little more with wider bars and potentially improve breathing and comfort. It was not necessarily to go carbon or create a significant revenue event for an LBS.
I converted to 44's on both my road bikes. While not the most aero size the slightly wider bars seem a little more comfy to me-and maybe a little more stable??
Old 08-24-07, 05:38 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
** stonecrd, You have any comments on how the 'edge' feels for you? **
I bought these bars for two reasons, the flat tops and they were longer in the drops than the Ritchey bars that came with the bike. The flat tops are very nice for resting your hands on when cruising along, I move my hands quite a bit while riding so I am usually not in any one place very long. But I would say when I am on the tops I don't notice the bar edge. I also never actually grip my bars, my hands are usually just resting on them unless I am sprinting or climbing.

2013 Noah RS
Old 08-31-07, 07:08 AM
Bike & SCUBA

Bikes: 2007 Seven Axiom 007 Tandem with couplers, 1994 Litespeed Catalyst, 1992 Cannondale Road Tandem, 1990 Cannondale Road Tandem, 1984 Gitane Tour de France

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hermes,

I don't know what your final decision was on this topic but we have FSA K-Wings on our new tandem. Only 100 miles on it but I find myself using a lot of different hand positions with it because it is comfortable. The wide, flat tops are easy to grasp while ascending and descending. With Campy Ergopower brifters they have a very long extended flat area with out dips that I have experienced with other bars and brifters. I am still getting used to the ergo bends on the drops. All in all they look great and added to the positions I use.