Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Bike sandal review (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/336077-bike-sandal-review.html)

cccorlew 08-22-07 08:25 PM

Bike sandal review

I promised to write up my sandal purchase. Here is is.
I commute 8 miles to work in Northern California. It's been warm enough to wear these things and I've discovered I like the wind whistling through my toes.

These are Nashbar sandals. If they didn't have bike cleat cut outs they'd cost $15, but they do so it was more.

They're comfortable. There's a ridge that fits under my toes I like a lot. The straps have an adjustable cup. Very nice.
I had to carve my soles because my Cannondale/Coda cleats seem wider than normal SPDs. I used a box cutter and it was easy.

They aren't still like road shoes. I wouldn't ride 30 miles in them, but for my commute they're great. The cleats are recessed enough they don't click and I once wore them all day. I'm going to enjoy them until it gets cold.
http://curtis.corlew.com/hosting/sandal.jpg http://curtis.corlew.com/hosting/cleat.jpg

Jet Travis 08-22-07 08:33 PM

Thanks for the review. I've had my Shimano sandals a good long time now, and they're starting to show their age. Problem is the newer Shimano versions are less like a sandal and more like a shoe. I like the open feeling of the Nashbar version.

FWIW, I've ridden entire week-long tours in sandals with no ill effects. I've never ridden in road shoes, so I probably don't know what I'm missing.

I believe Fox wears sandals all year round--just adding the appropriate layering of heavyweight sox in the winter.

cccorlew 08-22-07 09:03 PM

OK. I'll admit it. One morning when it was cool I wore socks with my sandals.

It felt good, but it felt wrong too.

Terrierman 08-22-07 09:12 PM

I would be worried about open toe sandals on a bike.

lhbernhardt 08-22-07 11:38 PM

My stoker wears these old, soft Shimano mtb shoes and loves them, but they are wearing out. She bought a pair of Pearl Izumi road shoes and found they were too hot in hot weather. She wanted to try sandals, but the Shimanos were either too small or too large, and the Northwaves were uncomfortable. I bought her a pair of Nashbar sandals last Christmas, and - surprise - they fit just great. She's really happy with them. She finds they rub too much without sox, so she usually wears sox with them. At the NWTR in Yakima, she wore them on both the long rides (over 100 km each day). No problems or discomfort. (In fact, if you look real close at the avatar - the picture was taken on the Sunday ride at the NWTR - you'll see she's wearing them.)

- L.

maddmaxx 08-23-07 04:14 AM

If you go ride if Florida you must wear black sox with the sandals.

DnvrFox 08-23-07 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Terrierman (Post 5126196)
I would be worried about open toe sandals on a bike.

Surprisingly, your toes are well protected by the built-in overhang of the sole. I've never had a problem of any kind.

I have ridden centuries with the sandals.

I wear them all year round - in Colorado.

Beverly 08-23-07 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 5127592)

I've been thinking about wearing my sandals with wool socks and a pair of SealSkinz this winter. The regular bike shoes are too tight with heavy socks. I thought about buying a larger pair of shoes for winter but am thinking about giving the sandals a try before investing in more cycling shoes. What temperatures do you ride in winter?

DnvrFox 08-23-07 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 5127628)
I've been thinking about wearing my sandals with wool socks and a pair of SealSkinz this winter. The regular bike shoes are too tight with heavy socks. I thought about buying a larger pair of shoes for winter but am thinking about giving the sandals a try before investing in more cycling shoes. What temperatures do you ride in winter?

Down to about 32F. But others ride colder. It all depends on the sock. Actually, you get better circulation to your toes than with tight shoes/socks.

Beverly 08-23-07 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 5127640)
Down to about 32F. But others ride colder. It all depends on the sock. Actually, you get better circulation to your toes than with tight shoes/socks.

I really think my feet get cold due to the poor circulation in the tight shoes. I'm going to give this a try this winter. I also use the chemical toe warmers when the temps get below 32F.

Camilo 08-23-07 04:03 PM

I've had a pair of cycling sandals for about 2 months now and love them.

They work well and are very comfortable, both on and off the bike. I took them on vacation because they were smaller to pack than my cycling shoes (I thought I might borrow a bike and do some riding so I brought the sandals and some SPD pedals). I didn't ride at all, but wore them every day just as sandals (removed cleats for this). I walked a lot and they were very comfortable. I'm almost tempted to buy another pair just to wear, since they are so comfortable and fairly cheap.

Mine are Sette MK SPD Sandals. They are nearly identical to Nashbar Ragster sandals except for the logos and the rear heel closure. The general design, soles and straps seem to be identical. I would bet anything that they are made by the same company.

They are nowhere as stiff as my cycling shoes (I use Specialized Comp MTB shoes for road), but they work fine for the riding I do. I have gone on many 20-30 mile rides without any problems at all.

I love them and heartily recommend them.

George 08-23-07 05:30 PM

I've seen people wearing shorts and sandals on motorcycles. I've seen some after laying there bikes down as well, not a pretty picture.

dbg 08-23-07 05:59 PM

I was late to the sandal thing (never tried any till age 45) but I instantly became "Sandal-Man". Given the choice I'd wear nothing else. All my biking is in sandals (Shimano). 90% of my golf is in sandals (golf sandals). I wear them to mow the lawn. I wear them to church (it feels so "Biblical"). And, yes, I combine them with socks to extend the season a little bit. I'm thinking about breaking new ground and wearing them to work if I can find the right look.

jedde 08-23-07 06:13 PM

[QUOTE=dbg;5132566]I wear them to church

LOL, I wear my 6 year old Shimanos to church, too. Very comfy. The grinding of the cleat on concrete is a little annoying, though. I also bike 'em with wool socks in spring/fall seasons.

chipcom 08-23-07 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 5127592)
Surprisingly, your toes are well protected by the built-in overhang of the sole. I've never had a problem of any kind.

+1 I tour in them, do long distance rides (RAIN- 160 miles, for example) in them and wear them most of the year until the dead of winter (darn straps limit how many layers of socks I can wear under sealskinz). Never stubbed a toe or had any other problems..and man they are much better than any shoe when the rain is falling.

My Shimanos are getting kinda old, and like someone else mentioned, I don't like the newer Shimano model. I'll probably start looking for something to replace them with this winter - the buying season dontcha know. ;)

Only real downside - sandal tan! :eek:

Bud Bent 08-23-07 07:02 PM

Good report, cccorlew. Thanks. I actually have a second pair of Shimano sandals that's one size bigger, so I can layer socks in the winter. It's all a part of my recumbent geek look (not to be confused with the standard Fred look).

jwbnyc 08-23-07 11:17 PM

Anybody here ever used the Lake sandals?

hockey 08-24-07 04:47 AM

I have been using Lake sandals for the past 4 years. Outstanding for daily rides, commutes in warm and wet weather. Great for walking around town. I tried them for touring but developed a few hotspots, it must be the extra weight and the longer rides.
Hockey

Trsnrtr 08-24-07 06:40 AM

I converted to sandals in the Spring of 2005 when I retired. It was part of my more relaxed lifestyle. :) I now wear sandals (old style two strap Shimanos) almost exclusively.

6bikes 08-24-07 03:44 PM

Nifty indeed! I am going to be the first person to design spd wooden clogs. I've already (unintentionally)tested them out on a very rocky singletrack even (called "rough go" trail) and clogs seem to have the stiff bottom one needs. > I forgot my atb shoes that day, and made do. Accidents make the perfect discoveries!

jwbnyc 08-24-07 06:16 PM

Thanks. Might have to give sandals a try.

Originally Posted by hockey (Post 5134948)
I have been using Lake sandals for the past 4 years. Outstanding for daily rides, commutes in warm and wet weather. Great for walking around town. I tried them for touring but developed a few hotspots, it must be the extra weight and the longer rides.
Hockey

tcs 08-25-07 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Camilo (Post 5131892)
I've had a pair of cycling sandals for about 2 months now...

Most of my riding over the last 15 years has been in Shimano sandals. I wear socks with them if I want to - if what anybody thought was important to me, I'd be driving a Hummer H2 instead of riding a bike.

TCS

divingbiker 08-25-07 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jwbnyc (Post 5134441)
Anybody here ever used the Lake sandals?

I just bought a pair of Lakes for about half price from a woman whose feet were too big for them. Hoping to take them out for a spin tomorrow (too hot today), and will report back.

I thought I'd attach a picture to show how much better the sandals look with painted toenails. :p

Attachment 52895

cccorlew 08-25-07 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by divingbiker (Post 5144205)
I just bought a pair of Lakes for about half price from a woman whose feet were too big for them. Hoping to take them out for a spin tomorrow (too hot today), and will report back.

I thought I'd attach a picture to show how much better the sandals look with painted toenails. :p

Attachment 52895

WOW
I'll be shopping for colors tomorrow!

Green? Brown? I'm not sure, but I'll find something! What a great idea!

EDIT: Wife Tricia wants to know: Do you try to match the bike or the jersey?

divingbiker 08-25-07 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by cccorlew (Post 5144999)
EDIT: Wife Tricia wants to know: Do you try to match the bike or the jersey?

Oh, no need to be fussy. Any bright hussy color is good.:)