Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm Feeling Great - How About You, 50+'r?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: ARE YOU FEELNG GREAT TODAY?
I AM FEELING GREAT TODAY!
76.19%
OTHERWISE
23.81%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-07, 05:08 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I'm Feeling Great Today - How About You, 50+'r?

Man, we have had a whole bunch of physical injuries and conditions show up lately. It wasn't too long ago when I was the one complaining about my AFib, and a pulled periformis, etc., muscle.

Now, as of today, I am feeling GREAT! I don't know about tomorrow.

We should celebrate and recognize these days when we feel GREAT!

Anyone else feeling GREAT today? Just for today (or the day you read this post?)

Take this easy poll.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-20-07 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-20-07, 05:30 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Physically, feeling fine (except for a bruised leg where I ran into the back of a car last week and ended up on the guy's trunk lid...but, that's another story).

But, I broke up with my GF a couple of months ago so I'm behind on my "intimacy" needs. Thus, I find myself a bit more impatient and irritable than normal.

On the other hand, I've recently put together a "bike shop" in my garage, and completed my first bike build (a Time Trial/Triathlon bike), and I'm starting on the second one (an errand/around town bike).

So, some good, some bad....so it goes.
Old 08-20-07, 05:35 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I hit a new HIGH STRESS level today........Between a 17 yr old son (was I that age once!!), some job issues, money going out faster than coming in (multiple college tuitions due) and other family things I didn't even attempt to take my BP because it would just be one more thing to worry about........Physically I feel a little sore from Saturday's ride but just terrific othwerwise. Thanks for asking!!
Old 08-20-07, 05:38 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I tend to dose off in meetings easier than I used to, but that could be because the meetings are a bunch of boring crap.
Old 08-20-07, 06:19 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
I tend to dose off in meetings easier than I used to, but that could be because the meetings are a bunch of boring crap.
I used to worry that I was coming down with adult-onset ADD. I just couldn't keep my attention on the BS in those meetings. But then I realized it wasn't me - the meetings really were BS!

BTW, I'm bummed that it's been raining all Sunday and today, and I wanna ride. In fact, I wanna twist the pedals off the cranks! Lemme at 'em!
Old 08-20-07, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lived to see the sun rise, my wife and two sons today. My dog was eager to see me when I got home from work. Today was a good day.
Old 08-20-07, 06:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I voted "Feeling Otherwise" though, by and large I, do feel great.
I'm a little sore from yesterday's ride myself but, worse, I tweaked an old elbow injury during the ride somehow ans it's causing me some small amount of grief. OTOH, if that's my only worry, what am I complaining about?
Old 08-20-07, 06:58 PM
hello

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 48 Posts
I feel great, except for my frozen left shoulder.......especially when forcing movement to regain my range of motion..
Old 08-20-07, 07:13 PM
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tired from pushing further than normal on Saturday and Sunday. But its a good tired.
Old 08-20-07, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I feel like a hundred bucks.
Old 08-20-07, 07:35 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was feeling great until I tried to learn to knit by watching an on-line video. Now I feel like a complete idiot.
Old 08-20-07, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a great day at work capped off by a very nice bike ride tonight. Frickin rare, that combination.
Old 08-20-07, 08:27 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feeling really good today. Took a one day break from cycling and put up a very nice fence around our new hot tub (called a spa these days). Shoulders will be sore tomorrow from digging the post holes, but the fence will look quite nice when stained. Looks like a great day for cycling in the morning. Had freshly harvested (very large) scallops, pan seared, with a nice salad and (believe it or not) a very good California Tempranillo. My wife was very complimentary about the fence and in about 30 minutes will be in the "spa" enjoying a perfect Wyoming evening (69 degress F and 30% humidty). Looking forward to tomorrow when we will have a planning committee meeting for next year's Dead Dog Classic Memorial Stage Race (named in honor of Dan Birkholz - USOC cycling coach and Laramie native who died in a plane crash near Colorado Springs some years ago).

Cheers
RockyMtnMerlin
Old 08-20-07, 08:30 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
I was feeling great until I tried to learn to knit by watching an on-line video. Now I feel like a complete idiot.
Isn't that sort of like learning to clip and unclip watching a video....except you don't fall of the knitting needles.....
Old 08-20-07, 09:10 PM
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife Gianna and I took an unintended day off work. Climbed "The Dragon" - US129 from Chilhowee Lake to Deal's Gap at the TN/NC line. We've done this often. I started out a bit stiff. Breaking in a new bike, so I raised my saddle a little and pushed it back a little, then all was good. My knees started to loosen up. The climb from lake at 900 ft to the gap at 1900 ft was easy. Beautiful, but already getting hot. In spite of a drop in the middle, we were still at the top too fast. So we kept going on NC28 "The Hellbender." Really started getting tired, but my legs felt a bit better. Crossed the bridge and did a killer steep 1 mile climb w/o trouble at all. Ate lunch at Fontana Village. Gianna was a horse guide there 25 years ago, lived there for a number of years before I met her. Good food, lots of water, and at the top of a nice drop. Really started feeling good on the way down the drop. The new bike handling nicely. But very sensitive. Clearly not a beginner's road bike. Pulled along Cheoh Lake in the heat. Bursts of cold air would sometimes hit us, blown up from the lake. Amazing feeling. Hit the big climb up to Deal's Gap again. Over before I was ready for it to be, no big deal at all. Then the 318 curves of 129 down to the lake, in 11 miles. Endless tight turns, leaning hard, tires gripping nicely, great feedback from the bike. Kept up with several motorbikes for quite a while. Started feeling really good. Brain fade on the uphills from the heat, but soon passing away with the cooling downhills. The sensation of hot sun, then warm air in the mottled shade, then swinging around into the wind and cooling. Working up hill, then slipping down through the turns. Too soon we were back at Chilhowee Lake, whipping along the flat road nicely into the afternoon breeze. Lots of pressure bumps on that stretch. Bump bump bump bump bump. Just an incredibly beautiful ride. Now, hours later and nice dinner done, and about to go to bed, my legs feel fine. Back feels great. A bit of twinge in my right calve, overworked it last week. And the usual aches. But I feel super. I'll get to all the stuff we didn't do today tomorrow.

This is the last of the longer hard rides before I take Gianna up to Philly to ride the livestrong challenge next Sunday. This will be the last challenge I think. Her dad died a month ago of cancer. So now we're tapering off for this ride and I think for the whole charity ride thing. The philly ride is 100 miles with 8000 ft of climbing. We did 46 today with 4000 ft of climbing, no trouble at all, no aftereffects except those associated with the heat. So I think she'll be fine on the longer ride. She'll start early and won't do so much sight seeing!!!!

It's been a nice day off. Although we'd intended a short morning ride only! First day in forever I haven't done anything particularly useful except ride, rest, and enjoy my family.

We'll go up and do a 50 mile loop in a couple of weeks. Run along Fontana Lake, then pop over to Robbinsville and hit 129 back to the Deal's Gap area. Should be a blast. 4000 ft of climbing, most in the first 20 miles, then a long sweeping fall downstream for 25 miles. Hills in there, but more drop than rise by far in the second half. I expect that to be another fine day off.
Old 08-20-07, 10:02 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
After a nice 1-hour ride, I feel much better now!
Old 08-20-07, 10:07 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tlc20010
Isn't that sort of like learning to clip and unclip watching a video....except you don't fall of the knitting needles.....
Old 08-21-07, 12:59 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feelin' fine, overjoyed even!!!

After almost seven weeks of inactivity, well lots of activity at the dinner table
but not on the bike...I finally climbed back on the Schwinn Airdyne five days ago.
Started out doing 20 minutes at 55-60 rpm, up to 25 minutes now. Felt great after
each session. Took the Raleigh C-40 out for 5 miles around the "hood" on Sunday
and did 20 miles Monday morning. feels great to be riding again.

8/21/07
edit: Did another 20 miler this morning...this time on my '86 Raleigh Marathon.
After working my entire summer away, I started a vacation period Monday
morning. Though the main purpose of the time off is to deliver the twin
daughters to colleges, it's great to be able to slip in some bike time. Damn
the rain showers, I'm free to ride again and nothin's gonna stop me !!!!

Last edited by cranky old dude; 08-21-07 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-21-07, 04:23 AM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good Poll,

I'm staring at a tracing off a Wall, "John Claggett" KIA May 20th, 1970
cpl, 1st Airbourne, Silver Star for his actions that day long ago.

EVERY DAY is a gift.

I miss ya Johnnie.
Old 08-21-07, 04:51 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
The meetings serve an excellent purpose. They keep the people that you don't want in the lab looking over you shoulder busy elsewhere.

However, there are the tours! "And in this compartment, we can observe engineers in their natural habitat. Please keep your arms and legs inside the tram. Please do not feed!"

Overall I prefer meetings to tours.
Old 08-21-07, 07:16 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
I feel like a hundred bucks.
All green and wrinkled?
Old 08-21-07, 07:21 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
Don't feel bad about learning to knit. My friends tried to teach me last year and I finally gave up. It wasn't one bit relaxing and after a few minutes I was ready to use those needles on someone

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 08-21-07, 07:22 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Considering that in my 20s my rheumatologist said there was a strong likelihood I'd be in a wheelchair by the time I hit 40, and that I'm 50 now, still have the original knees and hips and I'm and on target for 4,000 miles this year on my bikes, even the bad days are good.

Although I could do without the dreary weather this week...
Old 08-21-07, 07:34 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
All of these folks had a GREAT DAY! Congratulations. GREAT DAYS are something to treasure.

ang1sgt, Bikehead, BlazingPedals, bobby c, BSLeVan, cranky old dude, divingbiker, DnvrFox, Floyd, freeranger, gandalf1369, gcottay, Glewis333, John K, jpmac55, Lauraspark, Louis, mandovoodoo, Mojo Slim, Old Hammer Boy, Old School, Pman, Red Baron, RockyMtnMerlin, stonecrd, Terrierman, tlc20010, tsl, TysonB, tzwsp4, zymans
Old 08-21-07, 10:00 AM
Do I use too many commas?

Bikes: Giant Yukon SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I did my first commute on my Miyata. It is also my first commute in the rain. Everything feels wonderful!

Can you tell the endorphins have kicked in?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.