Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike shop heaven or horror?

Here it is, the Olympic Bike and Skate shop in Bremerton Washington. [edit: Port Orchard, not Bremerton, as Bill Abbey corrects below]
    We stopped by when we up to do the Seattle-to-Portland. I didn't know if I should laugh, cry or run.

Last edited by cccorlew; 08-23-07 at 01:27 AM.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    CoMotion Tandem (Rohloff), Surley LHT, Rodriguez , Bike Friday, 1972 Schwinn Sports Tourer, others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually it is in Port Orchard, close enough. I will say this, he has everything AND is a really nice guy. He reputed to be the best wheel builder in the state, but the photo is exactly the way the shop looks/ has looked for ten years or so.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Port Orchard: Correction noted.
    He is a nice guy, and quite a talker. We stopped in an got an ear full to go with our eye full. Had a great time.
    I should note that a lot of these bikes are headed out to poor countries as donations.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a bike shop that looked a lot like that in downtown Ann Arbor, MI. I had to move/climb over 4 bikes to see one that looked interesting.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Ol' Paint
    My Bikes
    90s(?)Bianchi Advantage, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix, 80s(?) Raleigh Gran Sport mixte, '95 Schwinn Clear Creek, '88(?) Fuji, '69 Schwinn Flyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son is a submariner at the base near there. I'll have to tell him about this bike shop. We visited for the first time last May when he and his wife (she did the work) blessed us with our first grandchild (a boy) born at the Bremerton Naval Hospital. That is some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen and looks like a fantastic place to ride. You have access to some serious hills there. I am envious.
    "In my cathedral,
    colored glass holds no candle to
    sunlight through trees."
    -- Leon Briggs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love bike shops like that.

Bet you could go in and ask for a part for a 1973 Campy Bottechia and the owner would have it.

We have one in Madison, WI. Yellow Jersey on State St. The owner is sometimes a bit grumpy, every square inch of the store is filled with bike stuff, occasionally the roof leaks, but if you want someone who really knows bikes, that's the place to go.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't do for me to visit this shop. I would spend all my time straightening it up
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like a tornado hit a truck taking a shipment of bikes to a dozen walmarts.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Wouldn't do for me to visit this shop. I would spend all my time straightening it up
    That's too funny, Beverly. You must be related to my wife.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brother Bent,women folks are all related in that department,it's something to do with having two X chromosomes versus an X and a Y. (tongue frimly placed in cheek)

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    Brother Bent,women folks are all related in that department,it's something to do with having two X chromosomes versus an X and a Y. (tongue frimly placed in cheek)
    Brother overthehillmedi, mine comes from raising 5 kids and an ex-husband who was the world's #1 slob
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Banned
    My Bikes
    roadbikes and full-suspension mountainbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just don't take your beautifully-painted custom there to be left overnight because it is bound to be returned with a couple new scratches and dings. Even if only by accident.

My Bikes
    are not listed as if they were some sort of portfolio.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what Bicycle Butler in Spokane looks like at closing. Poor Tim has so much service work lined up that he has to park it in racks outside during the day. Then it ALL has to go inside at night . . . somewhere.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigaj View Post

Bet you could go in and ask for a part for a 1973 Campy Bottechia and the owner would have it.

We have one in Madison, WI. Yellow Jersey on State St. The owner is sometimes a bit grumpy, every square inch of the store is filled with bike stuff, occasionally the roof leaks, but if you want someone who really knows bikes, that's the place to go.
    Yellow Jersey is an interesting store. I enjoy browsing all of the parts hanging on the walls. But I don't enjoy chatting with the sales people or the owner.

Speaking of crowded floors, have you been to the Budget Bicycle used shop on Regent Street? Not sure how you could get more bikes into there. The entire ceiling is filled with hanging bikes too.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post

That looks almost like my livingroom. Too many bikes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Yellow Jersey is an interesting store. I enjoy browsing all of the parts hanging on the walls. But I don't enjoy chatting with the sales people or the owner.

Speaking of crowded floors, have you been to the Budget Bicycle used shop on Regent Street? Not sure how you could get more bikes into there. The entire ceiling is filled with hanging bikes too.
    Yes, I bought my NOS Jamis Nova Cyclocross there. I remember seeing a beautifully restored 1970's Campy Bottechia there. I fell in love with it, before I reminded myself I had one in the basement. Not beautifully restored, however.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gosh, we had a shop that just went out of business, which I dearly loved. I'd pop in looking for some part from the 1970s, and damn if the owner didn't root around in an old cardboard box and find it--usually charging me $2.00. I'd occasionally stop by with a pie or a six-pack just to make sure he had enough sustanence to keep us all going. I don't blame the guy for shutting down and getting a paying job.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Yellow Jersey is a great place to go. I was there last week for service on my rode bike. One day service! Love all the frames they have and the fact that they carry what all the other cookie cutter bike stores do not.

Today I went to Wheel & Sprocket in Hales Corners. Another bike store with the largest selection of bikes I've seen in a long time. Picked up a Surly Cross-Check Complete that I had ordered on Monday.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good for me that shop is not in Raleigh, NC. I'd spend all my money there, then move most of those bikes to my basement where they would sit with the rest of the bikes I have down there.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator