Thread: Heat in NC

My Bikes
    Giant TCR Comp 1 Road Bike, Specialized Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat in NC

This heat is killing me. North Carolina is on the way to having the hottest August EVER! We have had something like 23 straight days above 90 and we went for a stretch of 8 or 9 plus 100 days. I'm not an "early" person. I just can't get motivated to exercise at 6:00 am so I haven't been riding like I should. I can't wait for some cooler weather. I'm going nuts.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to admit that we do not often get weather up in the 90,s but they do occur occasionally over here. I have been riding in such temeperature and a couple of things I noted. Once I was riding and Up to working temperature- I did not not get much hotter- But luckily I had Isotonic drink available in the Camelback and I re-filled it many times on the ride. The other thing I noticed was air pollution- Down in the Towns- That was bad- I had to get up on the Hills to get away from it. As soon as we dropped down in the valleys- The pollution hit us and breathing capability and energy just disappeared.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, my daughter is in Chapel Hill and I checked up on the weather the other day. So far in August there has been only one day under 92, and the average high has been 96, with humidity. 4 days at 102-103. Brutal. Glad I'm not there.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it stays in the 90s here in Texas for the months of July and Aug. Sometimes I think I should have stayed up north, but I'll eat those words in Dec. and Jan.
    George

My Bikes
    Fuji Club, Bianchi Bergamo, Fuji Suncrest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been commuting (7 miles one way) in Raleigh all year and it just keeps getting hotter. It has actually felt hotter on my morning ride in because of the higher morning humidity. The worst part has been coming out of the 68 degree A/C into the afternoon heat downtown. After a few blocks my route is through shaded side streets which helps a lot. It also helps to keep exertion to a minimum and not attack the hills. My average speed is lower than usual and my water consumption is higher, but I survived Tuesday's 105 degrees even repairing a flat along the way. It's still fun, just not so much.
    When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
    - Eric Hoffer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe....why not make this a mental/physical "recovery" century instead of a personal test ordeal. Put on your widest range buzz saw cassette, cruise along and chat with people, stop at every rest stop and smear Nutela on a dozen cookies...enjoy the lovely scenery-- and stay hydrated. Get back your sense of fun in riding. Golf schmolf! 8-)

**Golf forum guys are no where as fun as us....like, anybody who could sit and watch golf on tv all afternoon rather than sweat their brains out, drink puke warm cytomax, get crotch rash and bonk and road scrape and slide in cow sh*t....we're fighting for you soul, jppe........so get back some fun at the Hilly Helacious.
    Last edited by CrossChain; 08-23-07 at 08:58 PM.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same thing going on down here in Georgia. After this afternoon's MTB ride, some of us were commenting on how much nicer it felt today with the temp only in the mid-90's.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually enjoy the hotter weather for playing golf. Golf balls just travel a little further and it is easier to get the old joints and bones loosened up. I've even started carrying one of my water bottles in my golf bag and constantly drink fluids to stay hydrated. However, I just can't get excited about getting out on the road sucking in 100 degree air while feeling the 120+ temps coming off the asphalt. My schedule just doesn't let me get out early in the mornings and I'm not sure traffic it would be too safe with the heavier traffic in the area either.

CC-Sunday's venture does offer a unique challenge and I think your approach is similar to what I'm thinking. More stops, easier pace, more conversation and it's completely okay if others want to ride off ahead, etc. The goal is to just finish and feel content with doing that-and also having a feeling at the conclusion that I will want to ride again another day.

Plus it looks like temps in the area could be much more tolerable with the possibility of even some showers. At this point I'd relish the chance to ride in the rain......

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to be a lot of wind as well. We are usually in the low to mid 90s this time of year but the 15mph winds have been constant. When you add up the heat, humidity and wind all together it makes for a survival ride most days. Yesterday was particularly bad for me, after pushing against the wind and getting my HR to 93% I could not get it down below 90% and my second 10mi loop wiped me out. Still I feel I have to get out there and ride as much as possible as long as it is not raining. Next week I will be in Atlanta M-Th for business so no riding for 4 days.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Heron Wayfarer/ 2004 Giant Cypress SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat in NC

Been here 17 years and can't remember the heat and humidity being this bad! I try to ride early, but lately it's been too hot for even that. I guess we'll have to console ourselves and remember when we were riding last January when it was in the 70's.

Richard

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post
    Seems to be a lot of wind as well. We are usually in the low to mid 90s this time of year but the 15mph winds have been constant. When you add up the heat, humidity and wind all together it makes for a survival ride most days. Yesterday was particularly bad for me, after pushing against the wind and getting my HR to 93% I could not get it down below 90% and my second 10mi loop wiped me out. Still I feel I have to get out there and ride as much as possible as long as it is not raining. Next week I will be in Atlanta M-Th for business so no riding for 4 days.
    Wind.........same here......much more blustery than normal. You're exactly right about the HR as well. To even ride with the headwind the HR goes up and with the 100 degree temps in high humidity you just don't last too long. Not sure it's doing this old body any good. Unfortunately just adds to the reasons not to ride later in the day.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how you guys are riding in the afternoon heat. I generally do my riding between 0800-1030 or so and am done for the day. By late morning it's getting too warm for me.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Down here the humidity is just too high for me in the mornings. Is starts out @ 7:00a at 85% with temp being around 75-80F. By afternoon the temps are in the mid 90s but the humidity is down below 60%. After 5:00p I have shade these days for about 25% of my ride. But I can ride comfortably in 100 temps when the humidity is 20% but bump up the humidity and I'm struggling
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm off the bikes for the last three weeks due to a problem with my hand and a pinched nerve. But our group ride in Sanford, NC, 30 miles south of Raleigh drew 0 riders. I'm sure it's not the 98-100 degree weather that's causing the demise of that ride, they just miss the old roccobike.

Yeah right!
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Managed to get in a morning ride today. It was cooler at the start, but still got to around 90 by the end. With the dew point around 72, I was sweating before I even started riding. But it was still a little better than starting in the upper 90's or more.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.