Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New rider, already dreaming of next year's bike...

So Steve and I JUST bought our first bikes, Trek 7.2 FX hybrids. We haven't even taken them in for their free 30-day check. Bought them for easy rides around town. But that got boring really fast, so we went on a real road trip last Sunday: Santa Rosa to Sebastopol to Graton (don't have a bike computer, but I'm thinking about 6-7 miles each way. A good long ride for newbies!). We saw all kinds of cyclists, and I realized that I am already checking out other people's bikes. The ones that kept passing us. Road bikes.

Now I know better than to go out and buy another new bike anytime soon, but is it normal to start lusting after a second bike before the honeymoon with the first one is over? I'm already saving my pennies so that I can buy a road bike next spring. I figure I'll know if cycling is a passing fancy by then. Is something wrong with me? What is this madness?
    Last edited by TruF; 08-23-07 at 10:56 PM.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The purpose of a first bike is to teach you what you want in a second bike. My first bike was a hybrid. It taught me that I really wanted a road bike.

Nine months later, I bought a road bike. My first road bike taught me what I really want in a road bike. Nine months later (that's next month) I'll bring home my second road bike.

I'm already thinking about the next one...
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 7.2 FX is a good choice for someone starting out. Reasonable price, fairly easy to resell for a small loss if you don't get into cycling, or if you decide to ride a lot and want to move up.

A FX-series bike can be a long-term solution for some, for others they are a step on the path to a more traditional road bike.

As to lusting after a bike while still in the honeymoon period with a new bike, well, some of us lust for the "next+1" bike before we even get our "next" bike.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TruF View Post
    Is something wrong with me? What is this madness?
    Not a newbie and not actively looking for a new bike, but the garage contains 4 road bikes (2 oldies), MTB, tandem and cruiser. 11 bikes for the whole family. My son and I share the same size so they get a fair number of miles.

So to answer your question there is nothing wrong with you at all, except your lack of multiple bikes.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

Do I use too many commas?
    My Bikes
    Giant Yukon SE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, my name is WillisB. I am a bikeaholic.

I have 3 mountain bikes, a tandem, and a road bike in my garage. I am thinking about the bike I want next. Or perhaps a new wheel set, or maybe a Brooks saddle, or ...

This is an illness. we all need to see a shrink and give him (or her) our money that we would otherwise spend on bikes.

Btw, getting a road bike now will only result in all those roadies passing you -- passing you. Build up your engine through lots of riding. Then get the lightest most expensive road bike you can't afford. Then with the strong engine and light bike, you too can make the newbies wish for a better bike!

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It never stops! Of course right now, my grown daughters are begging me to get them bikes. Seems like they all get stored at my house anyway because I have the tools and the bike racks to haul em. This is also one of the reasons I was glad my buddy asked me to come back to work at a shop. Makes it much easier to find a "DEAL" on a new or even a used bike.

Right now we are starting to get all the new info on next years stuff, and I have my eye on a couple of bikes. My weight loss is going well and I have my eye on a Road Bike or two. Of course then Trek comes out with a new SOHO 4.0 bike that really looks neat!

That reminds me....I need more hooks for the garage!

Chris
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After riding a Trek 800 Antelope off and on for years I got more serious about riding last spring and bought a Trek 1200c road bike. A pretty decent $800 bike. I put about 1000 miles on it last year. As I began to ride again this spring I all of a sudden noticed that the 1200c was no longer fast enough, and just didn't feel as good as I thought a bike should. So I started looking for better road bike. After alot of test rides I settled on a BMC Streefire. A really nice Swiss made $1800 bike. It fits like a glove and I have ridden farther, faster, more than I have ever ridden before. This bike an I feel like one. When the time is right your perfect bike will find you.

BTW, I also bought a MTB for fall dirt riding.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it comes to bikes I'm a confirmed bigamist. Welcome to the wonderful world of cycling. There was a scene in the movie Little Miss Sunshine where Alan Arkin (playing the grandfather) was instructing his grandson to have as many "relationships" as possible (in a somewhat direct/crude way). To paraphrase the line, "Ride bikes. Ride as many bikes as you can."
    Last edited by BSLeVan; 08-24-07 at 03:37 PM.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had started with the Trek 7300 and six bikes later and I'm still looking. It goes on and on and on, have fun.
    George

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess you haven't heard that you must own more than one bike

I also started with a hybrid style bike and graduated to the road bikes. I just bought a new one last year but I'm currently lusting after a new Madone.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, I'm just fascinated with how differently each bike rides. Having been a one-bike person all my life, I'm suddenly aware of how gloriously different each bike is. There are things I like about each one I have (I'm up to 4 that I ride now) and I want to try more! And I've only tried road and touring bikes so far! Still have mountain, comfort, hybrid, English 3 speeds, racing, etc!

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, I can easily remember getting that first bike and getting started. For me it was a Trek 3900 mountain bike, which I rode on the road. Then it was slick tires. Then it was a craigslist 1980's Univega which I had converted to a single speed, but which was just that much too big for me. (Sold it.) Then it was a pair of craigslist beach cruisers so my daughter and I could ride together at about the same speed. Then it was a craiglist 1990 or so Trek 1500, a road bike, which I put some time into trying to make fit but it was just that much too small for me. Last bike I bought was the Ruby Roubaix, which I bought brand new, and it's a really nice road bike. So far, I'm completely satisfied with this bike. I also sold off the mountain bike, so I'm down to four.

This took about two years.

Have fun, good luck, and welcome!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Ah yes, I can easily remember getting that first bike and getting started. For me it was a Trek 3900 mountain bike, which I rode on the road. Then it was slick tires. Then it was a craigslist 1980's Univega which I had converted to a single speed, but which was just that much too big for me. (Sold it.) Then it was a pair of craigslist beach cruisers so my daughter and I could ride together at about the same speed. Then it was a craiglist 1990 or so Trek 1500, a road bike, which I put some time into trying to make fit but it was just that much too small for me. Last bike I bought was the Ruby Roubaix, which I bought brand new, and it's a really nice road bike. So far, I'm completely satisfied with this bike. I also sold off the mountain bike, so I'm down to four.
    Geez, all of that text and he never got around to mentioning his beloved Giant Cypress SX. Which now lies forlorn and forgotten in some dark corner, gathering dust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been into various hobbies over the years and one of the things I end up doing is buying something that is more than I need based on my ability to use or enjoy it. I like nice things and would rather buy something like a Bosch tool than something from B&D. Sometimes that leads to overkill (like my Goldmund CD player) but more often than not I grow into the item and don't have a need for the next upgrade for awhile. This is how I feel with my bike.

After years on a simple 10 speed, I borrowed a friends Colnago steel bike - what a difference. It didn't quite fit so I had to get something new. To some I overspent on a carbon bike (a 2005 Giant TCR), but I got it at a good price and I love it. The bike was certainly way better than me for the first year or so, but as I've gotten more miles in, I've continued to love it and don't feel the great desire to replace it. Sure, I lust after something like the Colnago C50 or a Pinarello, but this bike will take me where I want to go for many years. I've done upgrades, probably next year I'll put a compact crankset on it, but the frame stays.

So what I'm suggesting is think carefully about your next purchase. Can you see yourself riding longer distances several times a month or doing centuries on occasion? Renting or borrowing a higher end rig may make you realize that you want more of a performance bike or maybe not. Before riding my friends Colnago, I would have thought that buying a true road bike but built with comfort in mind would be the way to go. But for me, something a little more sporty was my choice and I'm glad I went that way. That with the comfort of carbon is something I never regretted.

I'm not saying this should be your choice, just that you might be surprised where biking will take you. With that in mind, I'd make sure I'd get the best frame I could for the money and not worry as much about the components - those can be upgraded over time as you see fit (and budget allows). Sometimes you best value comes about this time of the year - retailers are getting new 2008 stock and want to move older 2007 (and before) bikes. Just last night I rode with a friend on his inaugural ride on his brand new 2005 Madone 5.2 rig. Fantastic bike (Lance won more than one TdF on it) but it was sitting in the shop for a couple of years and was priced to move. Another option is to buy a good bike used from a person who has upgradeitis, there are deals to be had (make sure you have a shop check it out in case it has been abused).

My .03 cents....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Geez, all of that text and he never got around to mentioning his beloved Giant Cypress SX. Which now lies forlorn and forgotten in some dark corner, gathering dust.
    Ooops! How soon I forgot!!!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My two are all I need. One for on the road and one I can take off.
    If I get another, it'll be a replacement not an addition.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Do I use too many commas?
    My Bikes
    Giant Yukon SE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    We will remember that statement when the time comes!

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lusting is normal!
    My budget doesn't allow for a new bike, but I always have my eye on bikes that are similar to mine.
    I look for "low budget" things, ideas etc. that I may be able to apply to my bike to make my ride better/easier.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a difference between having bikes for different uses and just having bikes. For years I rode Offroad so Mountain bikes were my choice. It took a few years to get a decent bike but then it was upgrades for those bikes- Those Bikes?- I always had 2. Had to have a spare. Then I got a Tandem- Full offroad of course but that took a lot of Upgrades to get right and after paying to get that thing Right- I could not afford a spare.
    Then Road biking last year- Completely new to me and I did not know what to expect. Found a few faults got them sorted- or upgraded and then decided that I now knew what I wanted in a road bike. I did- and just have to learn how to ride with my head between my knees and to stopp annoying the other roadies by smiling all the time.

You have taken the first step by getting a bike- Any bike. Now you have to decide what type of bike you should have got but take a bit of time before emptying the wallet at your local shop. You have to get "Bike" fitness behind you-You haven't found the joys of Pie halfway through a 30 mile ride and you haven't said a thing yet about "What Saddle should I get".

Dream about the next bike- but do it sensibly. Some shops have test bikes for you to try. Some shops even let you take a white bike out and let it hypnotise you into buying it. Only problem I can see- Get some riding in before you get the next bike.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Some shops even let you take a white bike out and let it hypnotise you into buying it.
    Take my advice: if you want to preserve your wallet, you'll stay AWAY from these for a while!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, right!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry SKT, we believe you
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No seriously, a roadie and an off-roadie. What else do I need?
    I've already been down this road with guitars.
    Hell, I'm still walkin' that road and only the threat of divorce keeps me in line.
    And still, all the while, I'm scheming... scheming

I have to admit the Madone is a beauty and there are some Cannondales that turn my head.
    I've seen some beautiful Scotts

But I love my black & blue collection and not only do they get me where I want to go but they are still better bikes than I am a rider.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillisB View Post
    Hello, my name is WillisB. I am a bikeaholic.

Build up your engine through lots of riding. Then get the lightest most expensive road bike you can't afford. Then with the strong engine and light bike, you too can make the newbies wish for a better bike!
    Hey Brother Willis, you are on the money!

TruF, The 7.2 is a fantastic choice for getting into cycling. Not a ton of money, yet enough of a bike to let you know if you really like this thing (and it sounds like you do)

You are where I was one year ago, almost to the day. I bought a 7.5, and before you know it, I was piling up the miles and daydreaming about my next bike. And like Willis my fellow co-dependant, I got the best bike I couldn't afford.

And the really sick thing is, I am already thinking I would like to get a sturdy road-style bike for winter in addition to my newest bike, something like a Bianchi Volpe or a Rivendell Bleriot.

And to show you how really twisted my mind has become, I've almost convinced myself that yes, I could be happy with just one more bike........but I'm only kidding myself.

The madness never stops.

It's great fun, happy pedaling
    Time she's a fast moving train, she's here, then she's gone and she won't come back again.
    Townes Van Zandt

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, everyone! Although I haven't mentioned it, I HAVE been reading the forum about handlebars and saddles. (Especially George and his trekking bars; great pics, George!) My idea is to make this bike as comfortable as possible for riding around town. Maybe some bar ends to give my hands a couple positions. Maybe a new saddle. Get some miles under my belt. If the bike madness persists until my birthday next May, I'll reward myself with a bike fitting. Then start shopping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast