Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    commuter '93 rigid 'Dale / atb '95 Trek 8500 / road '86 Specialized Sequoia touring/ 3 others that I need to find homes for....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to crash yer 50's party ;-)

.... If there were a 45+ forum category , I'd be posting on it, but there's not.(I'm really 45.5) So, I hope it's okay if I sandbag with you kids here? I just introduced myself the other day on the commuter category, as bike commuting seems to be what I'd do if I lived in a perfect world. Alas, the world may still be *not* perfect, and well, maybe I ought to broaden my thinking anyway, to starting out just riding for sport around my block (23 mile mtn loop it is, with aprox 2100 ft elevation gain) . I'm a retro rider, for starters, almost a grouch about it >>okay, so I have friction downshifters on my road bike...I hope that's not going to be a problem with anybody here... ... and also a mtn biker who bit the dust metaphorically, and at this time I just can't seem to even hoist myself back up on the beast. I have lost my edge, one decade and forty pounds away from my prime, but it's not so bad, because I know I can get it back with the encouragement from all of you.

Just wanted to wave and say "hi", and now I guess I'll just familiarize myself with the big kids around here. ~jen
    Last edited by 6bikes; 08-24-07 at 02:59 PM.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you bring beer?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And have you seen my glasses? Nevermind. I don't wear glasses.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to respond but I forgot what the thread was about. As long as you have blueberry pie you can come in.

My Bikes
    commuter '93 rigid 'Dale / atb '95 Trek 8500 / road '86 Specialized Sequoia touring/ 3 others that I need to find homes for....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a nice cup of coffee, which I can make for anybody , given that I keep a backpack stove, and coffee schwagg in my panniers at all times (as well as a pair of glasses! ) . I am going to start a bike club, I think, called "SlowRiders".... and the whole deal is to see how slow one can go without actually falling over. Then, when somebody does, that's when I stop, and we make a cup of tea/coffee and perhaps if anybody else lugged along a cooler of beers, well that'll be great too!

I like this place, already. Thanks for the good humor. I think I'll fit in fine.
    Save the World...One Bike Ride at a Time.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ps. oh... and I keep chocolate in my panniers as well, enough to share.
    Save the World...One Bike Ride at a Time.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bikes View Post
    I like this place, already. Thanks for the good humor. I think I'll fit in fine.
    Only problem I can see is the penalty for the Birthday ride. We all have to ride at least 50 miles and you will be doing less- Unless you offer to Make up Tom's defecit from last year- I can't see you getting in.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross SportCannondale Road Warrior 500, Trek 7300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And what kind of pie will you bring?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Birthday Ride? Oops
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you think you will be fine...without the appropraite number of years you may not be able to answer any questions with the appropriate sense of ,,,now what was this supposed to refer to...
    Welcome to this hodge-podge of bicycle enthusiasts who happen to be mostly above a certain age.
    peace

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a nice cup of coffee, which I can make for anybody , given that I keep a backpack stove, and coffee schwagg in my panniers at all times (as well as a pair of glasses! ) . I am going to start a bike club, I think, called "SlowRiders".... and the whole deal is to see how slow one can go without actually falling over. Then, when somebody does, that's when I stop, and we make a cup of tea/coffee and perhaps if anybody else lugged along a cooler of beers, well that'll be great too!

I want to join that club--as my sig would suggest.

And speaking of specs, 20 years ago, an eye doctor told me, "You need glasses. He tried to sell me a pair with a titanium frame for many hundreds of dollars. I asked my father (who had no medical training of any kind) about it.

He said, "Can you read the phone book?"

I said, "Yeah."

"Well, then," he declared. "You don't need glasses."

I can still read the phone book without glasses, but now I have a titanium bicycle. I think it all worked out pretty well.

And, yes, I'm sure you'll fit in famously.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Did you bring beer?
    Friction shifters with beer are better than Ergolevers without beer.

Road Fan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SnaveBob~ OH306 requested blueberry.... but apple is my specialty.

Stapfam ~ I will train hard, and hopefully then I'll be able to ride half of my age.... oy.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like it's time to find a beer-hauling bike.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stapfam ~ I will train hard, and hopefully then I'll be able to ride half of my age.... oy.
    Just ride the defecit as a starter then- Tom will tell you how much it was.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Without looking it up.....Who was the first man in space.........Who was in charge in Cuba before Castro.............and finish this title "Sky King and ------"

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to start a bike club, I think, called "SlowRiders".... and the whole deal is to see how slow one can go without actually falling over.
    At last, a bike club where I would be a contender for the grand championship. I am superb at riding slow.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    So you think you will be fine...without the appropraite number of years you may not be able to answer any questions with the appropriate sense of ,,,now what was this supposed to refer to...
    Welcome to this hodge-podge of bicycle enthusiasts who happen to be mostly above a certain age.
    peace
    Seems like the bike riding may be the easy part, the real challenge will be to keep up with the keen wit and smarts you kids have.
    Last edited by 6bikes; 08-24-07 at 04:39 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    At last, a bike club where I would be a contender for the grand championship. I am superb at riding slow.
    Well RIGHT ON Tom ! We can figure out just how to make a competition of this. Hmmm... wind sprints could prove entertaining. I'll be sure to bring my knitting...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Without looking it up.....Who was the first man in space.........Who was in charge in Cuba before Castro.............and finish this title "Sky King and ------"
    Um.... um....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Just ride the defecit as a starter then- Tom will tell you how much it was.
    Okay, I'll do whatever it takes!

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok, you can stay.

You'd think it was easy, but we have had an amazingly hard time getting consensus on what the membership rules should be for this forum....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    Sounds like it's time to find a beer-hauling bike.
    I'm thinking that's why the BobTrailer was invented?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well RIGHT ON Tom ! We can figure out just how to make a competition of this. Hmmm... wind sprints could prove entertaining. I'll be sure to bring my knitting...
    We'd have to call them breezy drifts. with too much wind the yarn gets blown all over.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Ok, you can stay.
    Thanks. I want to grow up to be just like you kids here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast