User Tag List

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garmin Edge 305 Glitches - Advice?

I have had my Edge 305 since May. It has how started acting weird. Before sending it off for warranty thought I would see if any of you have solved these problems. I have done a search of this forum and read through the Garmin support files to no avail. I have the unit with cadence and HR. Cadence and HR always register properly as does the clock. I have updated the software from the Garmin site (twice) and even deleted the software and reloaded it. So here are some of the things that are happening.

a) Sometimes screen goes blank while riding. Pushing any button brings the display back and no data has been lost
    b) Sometimes screen goes blank while riding. Pushing any button brings the display back and all or some data has been lost
    c) Sometimes the timer stops working but the distance read out continues to show increasing distance. Pushing the "stop/start" button will either start the timer again or display "Timer Stopped" and then pushing it again will result in distance measuring recommencing.
    d) Sometimes the distance readout stops increasing but the velocity readout is accurate. Pushing "stop/start" results in distance measuring recommencing
    e) Sometimes when I download to Training Center the information displayed on the unit is not shown on Training Center. For example a recent 20 mile ride (which displayed accurately on the unit) showed up as only a 45 second ride in Training Center.

Any helpful suggestions appreciated.

RMM

Yes I know it is Glitches not Glithes but can't seem to change the thread title even in advanced editing.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    800-800-1020

Talk to technical support. They have solved all my weird problems while I was on the phone, although none were similar to yours.
    Bike to live, live to eat!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I will call them on Monday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad to say but this is a common problem. The good news is that Garmin has excellent support and will probably send you a brand new unit. The bad news is that the Edge is an excellent device, poorly conceived.

You can read about it here:

http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/in...p?topic=2355.0

If you haven't already done so, you should join the MB forum. I have found a lot of good information there. BTW, my unit died in less than a month. First the HR and Cadence went, then the unit went dead, never to return. I got a brand new unit in two days from Garmin. Some folks are going through 2 or 3 and even 4 units in the first year of operation.

I am not dissing Garmin, but clearly, they never field tested the units under the conditions of a bicycling environment.

Good Luck!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigaj View Post
    Sad to say but this is a common problem. The good news is that Garmin has excellent support and will probably send you a brand new unit. The bad news is that the Edge is an excellent device, poorly conceived.

You can read about it here:

http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/in...p?topic=2355.0

If you haven't already done so, you should join the MB forum. I have found a lot of good information there. BTW, my unit died in less than a month. First the HR and Cadence went, then the unit went dead, never to return. I got a brand new unit in two days from Garmin. Some folks are going through 2 or 3 and even 4 units in the first year of operation.

I am not dissing Garmin, but clearly, they never field tested the units under the conditions of a bicycling environment.

Good Luck!
    Yikes!

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had similar problems early on but with the current firmware I have not a single instance of the unit turning off, are you on the latest firmware?

Someone recently took one apart (it is shown in the MB forum) and the electronics and screen are in separate halves of the unit. There is a connection between the two halves which would have to stay perfectly connected for the unit to work. I think it is possible that if the unit is not sealed tight vibration could cause this connection to fail. If this is the case you will probably have to send it in for a new unit.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode for a good while yesterday in the rain and the Garmin 305 performed just terrific. I was wondering if I'd see mine go blank due to the moisture but apparently no issues here.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK--Here's one I noticed yesterday. My heart rate monitor sometimes showed a faster heart rate on decents (especially fast decents). I was coasting and it was reading 220 bpm. I called support and they said, try a different jersey and/or adjust the chest band. Anyone have this issue? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks!
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only problem I've had with mine is the weird refusal to power on after charging. Pressing Mode and Reset at the same time has always fixed it.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    OK--Here's one I noticed yesterday. My heart rate monitor sometimes showed a faster heart rate on decents (especially fast decents). I was coasting and it was reading 220 bpm. I called support and they said, try a different jersey and/or adjust the chest band. Anyone have this issue? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks!
    My Polar can do the same. I called Polar and received no real answers. Here are my hypos: Interference with other wireless devices such as a speedometer that at certain speeds the HRM picks up the pulses instead of the HR strap, interference from other devices external to the bike such as other local transmitters and EMI from power lines and placement of the strap on the chest i.e. too high or two low such that the signal from the heart is misread. It is frustrating when you look at the summary and see the max HR at 220.

My wife's Garmin does not do that. Although, there are times that her Garmin will not register her HR or it is low.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!
    Makes me wonder as well. I've had very similar experiences-but not necessarily just on descents. My situation could be the HR monitor on the Garmin or it could be Afib........

I have had bouts with Atrial Fib and was assuming these high readings could be some occassional very high HR intervals-ie the Garmin was giving me actual numbers. I even talked to my doctor about what I was seeing and promised to bring in my cycling log with HR readings if it looked like a very regular trend. If the trend continued the next step was to do some around the clock monitoring to see if the Afib would reoccur. Since my last doctor's visit I have not had the readings jump up abnormally high for brief periods so I assumed everything was okay for now?????

Interesting.......

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Makes me wonder as well. I've had very similar experiences-but not necessarily just on descents. My situation could be the HR monitor on the Garmin or it could be Afib........

I have had bouts with Atrial Fib and was assuming these high readings could be some occassional very high HR intervals-ie the Garmin was giving me actual numbers. I even talked to my doctor about what I was seeing and promised to bring in my cycling log with HR readings if it looked like a very regular trend. If the trend continued the next step was to do some around the clock monitoring to see if the Afib would reoccur. Since my last doctor's visit I have not had the readings jump up abnormally high for brief periods so I assumed everything was okay for now?????

Interesting.......
    When my Polar showed 220, I took my pulse and it was nowhere near 220. It is also noteworthy that all the high numbers of 220 independent of the individuals involved. If I stopped or adjusted the strap, the HR dropped immediately.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!
    Hey Jet,

I've had that problem before on descents - it seems as though some air gets between the sensor & the skin & provides faster readings. I've read on some Garmin forums before that it could also be caused by a loose jersey. Anyhow a week or so ago I tighten the band and during yesterdays ride I didn't have this issue. Of course my HR maxed out at 183 on Mt. Vesuvius - that was not a fluke, that was one long and steep climb. You going to start a thread on that event (Blue Ridge Extreme)?

EDIT - Just saw your report, I'm jumping in shortly.
    Last edited by bobby c; 08-27-07 at 10:24 AM.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you guys using any of the liquids or creams designed to improve the conductivity of the HR strap?

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Are you guys using any of the liquids or creams designed to improve the conductivity of the HR strap?
    Not me...just water.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I get away with just sweat or water on the Cateye strap as well. I'm just wondering if there is something unique about the Garmin strap that might work better with the cream?

I have heard that care must be used on the placement of the Garmin cadence sensor with regard to the wheelspeed sensor (if so equiped) to prevent cross talk but that probably does not speak to this problem with HR.

My Bikes
    1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I rode for a good while yesterday in the rain and the Garmin 305 performed just terrific. I was wondering if I'd see mine go blank due to the moisture but apparently no issues here.

I've had mine for a couple of months with no problems. I did have a ride a couple of weeks ago where it got rained on pretty good ( my shoes were still wet 2 days later). I wondered if that would effect it. So far no (knocking on wood).
    1974 Stella 10 Speed
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
    Bertrand Russell