Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to schlep 2 bikes in SUV?

After reading a bit about bike racks, it seems that the most sensible thing to do is just figure out how to place our two bikes in the back of our SUV. To give you an idea of the space back there, the bikes are too tall to fit standing up, and they fit flat with the front wheel turned. I can figure out how to load one bike in there, but how do you load two bikes without causing damage to each other?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried loading them upright with the front wheel removed? I have fork mounts on a 2X6 lying crosswise in the front of my SUV and attach the bikes to that. The bikes stand upright fine. I have to lean them over slightly to get them in. Of course, I can't do this with the third seat in place - but I either fold it forward or remove it, depending.

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I load two bikes laying flat. First bike goes on floor with front wheel removed. Then I cover that bike with one of those moving blankets, (the puffy quilt like), and lay second bike on top. Usually with front wheel still on for second bike. No damage. Last month I had three bikes in back with two blankets. Had to remove pedals with bottom bike to get it flat enough. You can use an old quilt or buy the moving blankets at a U-Haul dealer. One of the perks of owning a car wash is people toss such nice things.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my '96 Exploder I can put two in standing up with the front wheels removed. I snug the seat up into the headliner and they ride standing up. Since the Exploder is riding Michelins now - it should keep all 4 paws on the ground.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take bits off the bike. We used to load 4 bikes in the back of a small van by taking the front wheels off and lowering the saddle.They went in Lengthways In my small by US standards MPV- I can fit 5 bikes by taking the wheels off and lowering the saddle on the Big tall one. Only thing I do is to wrap the rear mech in Towelling to protect the inside of the car. These can then go in across the car.

I do prefer however to carry bikes on a rear mounted rack.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't speak for an SUV, but I can get two (one of them a 64cm) in the back of my Mazda Protege if I take off all four wheels. I just put the seat down, slide mine in handlebars first, put in a thick movers' blanket or sleeping bag, put my wife's bike in back-end first, then fit the wheels wherever they go.
    I don't do that often, because we have a Yakima rack I can install or remove in about two minutes, but they'll go in a pinch.
    Sudden thought: A lot of people are intimidated by taking off the rear wheel. I watched a USCT mechanic do it one time and copied him, and suddenly I could take it off in five seconds and put it back on in 10. It's worth learning to do it quickly, if you can't.

My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    Have you tried loading them upright with the front wheel removed? I have fork mounts on a 2X6 lying crosswise in the front of my SUV and attach the bikes to that. The bikes stand upright fine. I have to lean them over slightly to get them in. Of course, I can't do this with the third seat in place - but I either fold it forward or remove it, depending.
    Hey Camilo,

Hmmm. Any chance you can post a picture of the fork mounts on the 2X6? Thanks!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can fit two bikes in the back of my PT Cruiser, rear wheels forward, front wheels off and forks mounted to fork mounts on a 2x10 board at the rear of the car. I had to remove the rear seat on one side (they mount separately). It is easier if I lower the saddles, but I can lean them to the side and get them in there.

Not the best picture to show what I'm describing, but maybe it will help.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    I can't speak for an SUV, but I can get two (one of them a 64cm) in the back of my Mazda Protege if I take off all four wheels.
    Yeah, but then what do you do with a Mazda Protege without any wheels on it?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    rear wheels forward, front wheels off and forks mounted to fork mounts on a 2x10 board at the rear of the car.
    + 1 for the fork mounts...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    Fuji Club, Bianchi Bergamo, Fuji Suncrest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carried two bikes in the trunk of our Corolla by removing the 4 wheels and one pedal on the bottom bike. Dropping the seats and even loosening the handlebar stems will make them even more compact but it takes longer to get them ready to ride at the end of the trip. A blanket between the bikes and interleaved with the wheels keeps things from rubbing. It looked like a trunk full of wheels but there was still space for a couple of backpacks, tools, pump, etc. Our personal luggage for two people went in the back seat. One of the things I like about bikes is they are almost two-dimensional.
    Pray toward Heaven but row toward shore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you lay one bike on top of another just make sure a pedal isn't sitting on the spokes of the bike below.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Yeah, but then what do you do with a Mazda Protege without any wheels on it?

See, this is why I spend WAY too much time at this party when I should be doing other things instead.....
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. So take two of these Delta-Bike-Hitch-Pro-Locking or something like them. Secure them to a sturdy piece of wood that fits in the back of my SUV, take off the front wheels of our bikes, and secure the bike's wheel-less forks into the mounts. I get it! I'd never heard of fork mounts before. Great idea! Great price! And the bikes will be safe and secure in the vehicle so we can stop for lunch or whatever without worrying about locking up the bikes or someone crunching them.

Thanks everyone!

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    extended cab pickup fits all I need

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One reason why I haven't given up my old Explorer is because I can load 4 bikes in the back without problem (or 3 bikes, 3 people). I just take the front wheel off and they fit in beautifully. Plus the rear seat (no 3rd row either) folds perfectly flat. Alot of the new SUV's it just sortof folds down but not flat.

Because the new SUV's are not as boxy, have slopping sides and two many fancy side compartments it's become much more difficult to fit a bike in the rear. Although this is a pain, one way is to remove the seat post and the front wheel, guide the bike in rear wheel first (you will have to tip the bike sidewalks to get pass the door entrance and then using a bungee cord attach the bike to the side seatbelt anchor. You should be able to get in at least 3 bikes this way.

I am resigned, because of its practicality to buy a van next time. Bikes will still fit in those without problem.

My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. I keep hanging on to my 98 Explorer Sport because that roomy back keeps coming in handy. A friend has a Honda Element, and she has tons of room for stuff. Perhaps that's an SUV you can consider if a van is not what you really want, BCIpam.

I ordered a pair of fork mounts and gave my husband a heads up that there might be a small project for us next weekend.

Thanks again, everyone!

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what have you read about bike racks that turns you off to them. I have two that I've never had a problem with provided they are mounted correctly and I use a few extra precautions (bungie cord the front wheel and use ladder mits to cover the pedals).
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often use my hitch mounted rack which is very convenient, but for best security while away from the car, best protection from weather and best safety from collisions, I would rather have my bike inside the vehicle much of the time.
    Two recent threads dealt with a bike on a rear rack that was hit by an inattentive driver and a bike that fell from a roof rack.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I often use my hitch mounted rack which is very convenient, but for best security while away from the car, best protection from weather and best safety from collisions, I would rather have my bike inside the vehicle much of the time.
    Two recent threads dealt with a bike on a rear rack that was hit by an inattentive driver and a bike that fell from a roof rack.

Not to mention multiple stories of people with roof racks that drove right into their garage when they got home, forgetting the bike was on the roof ( not that older folk have memory problems).
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TruF View Post
    Hey Camilo,

Hmmm. Any chance you can post a picture of the fork mounts on the 2X6? Thanks!
    See if this helps. I use front facing if the third seat is folded down, so the handlebars can fit over the folded seat and give enough room in the rear to close the door. With the third seat removed, I mount the bikes rear facing because it's easier to get them in and out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey roccobike. I just read Consumer Reports about bike racks, and it seems that the least expensive ones (trunk mount) can easily damage a car and bikes. I don't have a hitch, so don't want to pay for a hitch and then pay for an expensive hitch rack. So I'm thinking, why buy an external rack at all if I can keep them protected inside my SUV? Inside my SUV, they won't get crunched (by me or another car) if I have to parallel park in the city. And the price is right! Less than $40 for two fork mounts and the cost of some wood. As a newbie rider, I can spend the difference on other bike essentials.

Thanks so much Camilo and BluesDawg! It really helps to see it. I just showed my husband your pics so he can see what we'll be working on next weekend.