Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting my Bridgestone 200 fixed today!!!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 09:48 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

This was my one and only adult bike until recently, which has traveled everywhere with me.

I have had her in to LBS's 3 times since we got hit by the car, and she hurt each time afterwards. I don't remember how. But I have faith in this new shop, since they fit the Atlantis so well to me. Plus, I got on her today and she felt so familiar and comfortable that I'm sure it's just some odd thing that can be fixed.

I don't really have a specific task in mind for her. I like riding my Atlantis way better, and the Klein is really fun. The 200 is just a nice stable ride. But she has lights and a rack, so maybe she'll be my urban bike. I really like* looking at her, scratches and all, with her little cog-odometer in the front wheel and the big antique looking lights that are powered by the wheels. She has many different stickers on her from various bike shops.

Everything is red or black on her. I must have had a little OCP in me in my youth. I'll upload photos tonight--she has enough character she's worth seeing.
Old 07-05-07, 10:54 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't even know they could breed...
Old 07-05-07, 01:17 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
I didn't even know they could breed...
Oh yeah! Lots of people get along with only one bike for years. But once you acquire a second one, they seem to accumulate after that.
Old 07-05-07, 02:00 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Breed? Huh?

This one is purely sentimental.

They kept the bike and I forgot to take photos. It is possible that the frame may be damaged from the accident, so we'll see. Sad, sad.

P.S: The LBS said I had taken great care of her.
Old 07-05-07, 02:07 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
Breed? Huh?
It was a pun on "fixed".
Old 07-05-07, 02:09 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ah! I 'm doubly* ashamed I didn't get that because I'm "doggy".
Old 07-05-07, 02:25 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
Ah! I 'm doubly* ashamed I didn't get that because I'm "doggy".
No worries...perhaps you didn't get the joke because your bike's a b*tch.
Old 07-05-07, 06:33 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
I sure hope you mean "fixed" as in "repaired," rather than as in "fixed-gear."
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-05-07, 06:43 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bridgestones should always be kept in good repair. Hope they can work some magic on it.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-05-07, 06:50 PM
train safe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I sure hope you mean "fixed" as in "repaired," rather than as in "fixed-gear." "

my thoughts were exactly the opposite-- I thought you were 'upgrading' your bike to a fixie

train safe-
Old 07-05-07, 07:07 PM
red bikes rule!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Bridgestones should always be kept in good repair.
While we wait for Solveg to post a picture of her Bridgestone, I'll share mine with you. This is a 1986 Bridgestone 300 mixte I bought off Craig's list to use as my errand bike (since I don't want to leave my Rivendell Glorius locked up at the grocery store.) She's a lovely metallic pink color. I had the LBS add a small chain ring to turn the double into a 32-42-52 triple, and a taller stem, and I bought a Brooks B72 (double rail saddle) and now she's good as new!

pink mixte small.JPG
Old 07-05-07, 07:15 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I found a good deal on Bridgestone mixte, it would be hard to pass it up.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-05-07, 08:01 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by divingbiker
While we wait for Solveg to post a picture of her Bridgestone, I'll share mine with you. This is a 1986 Bridgestone 300 mixte I bought off Craig's list to use as my errand bike (since I don't want to leave my Rivendell Glorius locked up at the grocery store.) She's a lovely metallic pink color. I had the LBS add a small chain ring to turn the double into a 32-42-52 triple, and a taller stem, and I bought a Brooks B72 (double rail saddle) and now she's good as new!

Attachment 49086

I love* this bike! I really like pink bikes, I don't know why, and I've never seen a Bridgestone Mixte before. I love the grocery saddle bags... I have a pair of those, too, and they're so* useful. She looks really* pretty. Mine has a lot of road scars.
Old 07-05-07, 08:31 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by divingbiker

Attachment 49086

Love the pink! That's a great looking bike.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-10-07, 08:06 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Didn't work, even set up with the same bars, shifters, seat and set-up as the Atlantis. My right knee hurt right away, and my although my body didn't hurt after my ride, it has hurt progressively bad in the 2 days since so that today I had to take advil. Total overall ache with more in the right knee and neck. The left wrist thing seems to be gone.

I don't know what it is, except the front wheel points 1 degree to the left while in motion but not while still. No cracks in the fork or looseness while flexing it.

While coasting, I anchor my right knee against the cross bar and I don't do that on the other bikes. The 200 is also a double crank, so I am pushing it up hills a bit more, but only by a gear or two occassionally.

Tires are 100 PSI, squarely in the middle of the other two bikes.

I posted over in the mechanics section about the wheel.

It's really too bad, but maybe the accident screwed her up in some invisible way or she just doen't suit* me any more.
Old 08-26-07, 01:25 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here she is... I've been riding her. She doesn't hurt any more, but she lists to the left. I'm glad I revisited this site, because I really like that pink mixte and may paint a bike that exact color.