Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Husband on the edge

Well, I was the one who decided I wanted a bike. I was the one who talked my husband into getting one, too. Every step of the way, I've been the one to suggest looking at bikes, trying them out, etc. Even now, I'm the one who suggests rides we can take together. He's been absolutely game and it hasn't been a fight at all, but it's still felt like he's just been coming along for the ride. (So to speak...)

Well, the other day he wanted to look at bike shorts and ordered a pair (the LBS didn't have the ones he wanted in his size). And just now, he initiated looking online for those padded liners so he can wear other shorts and pants on our rides. AND this morning when we started looking at how full our day was looking, I suggested a shorter ride than the one we had planned (Sebastopol Farmers Market and back). Well, he decided that he'd rather give up seeing the new Bourne movie today than shorten our ride!

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Question, you have created a monster...or a Fred....congrats. It looks like a bright biking future for the happy couple!
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If those shorts don't do it for him tell him to come here and ask about other shorts and
    maybe a different saddle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If actually riding the bike fades in time, the shorts are still good for prancing around the boudoir. I think that is what they were invented for, and bicyclists later discovered their present use. bk

My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If actually riding the bike fades in time, the shorts are still good for prancing around the boudoir. I think that is what they were invented for, and bicyclists later discovered their present use. bk
    I like that much better than what my initial reaction was to padded shorts: So this is what it will feel like to wear Depends...

Yes, he's been fiddling with his saddle, too. I hope his interest in bike gear isn't just a reaction to discomfort!

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's alive, it's ALIVE!! I have done it -- my monster is alive!!
    -- Dr. Frankenstein (or is it Frahnken-steen?)

(With apologies to Mary Shelley...)
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no turning back now!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done! And just wait until he finds out how much better he feels and looks after a bunch of riding.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

It's all about the Ort. TrackGuy's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Centurion Trac; Carnielli; Ross Mt Hood; TREK 5200.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You sound like candidates for a tandem

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    Well done! And just wait until he finds out how much better he feels and looks after a bunch of riding.
    Hubby cinched his belt a notch tighter today, thanks to all the riding he's done. And it's not as much as many ride here.... a few 20-milers during the week and another one with me on the weekend (he's already retired ). Before the bikes, he walked but the weight didn't budge as easily. Cycling is just so much more fun, not to mention the toys you get to buy. Just wait til the catalogs start coming....
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TruF View Post
    I hope his interest in bike gear isn't just a reaction to discomfort!
    probably not - and just rest in the comfort that anything bike-related is a LOT cheaper than anything motorcycle or auto-related...I keep trying to explain that to my pudgy buddies who talk about how great their 3rd or 4th motorcycle is and who should be getting on a bike to help their Dunlap.*

* Dunlap as in 'muh belly done lapped over muh belt..."
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did warn you about the fact that you had not asked about saddle comfort. Next one will Start "Now these Bib shorts I just bought" Or "what are Clipless pedals?"

Long slippery slope has started. Just hold on very tight.
    Last edited by stapfam; 08-26-07 at 01:55 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a slight twist, while having ZERO real interest in riding, herself, Mrs Kaitai wanted to get me started and gave me a not so subtle nudge in that direction. Now I think she's a little sorry (but in a good way, if you know what I mean). Sure wish I could spark an interest in her to ride.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having those shorts will keep him riding more. As one poster mentioned, you created a monster out of him but for a healthy cause for both of you.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the other day he wanted to look at bike shorts and ordered a pair (the LBS didn't have the ones he wanted in his size). And just now, he initiated looking online for those padded liners so he can wear other shorts and pants on our rides.
    I really like Borah liners. I have no padded cycling shorts, but wear the liners on nearly every ride, under shorts or some extremely-light long hiking pants (so light that they are rated SPF-50 for sun-blocking, so you could get a light tan through them). I've tried three different brands of liners & like the Borah much better than the other two.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Cycling is just so much more fun, not to mention the toys you get to buy. Just wait til the catalogs start coming....
    Oh no! Will both of you have time to peruse the catalogs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TruF, you done good! Wish I could get my better half interested in cycling.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I was the one who decided I wanted a bike. I was the one who talked my husband into getting one, too. Every step of the way, I've been the one to suggest looking at bikes, trying them out, etc. Even now, I'm the one who suggests rides we can take together. He's been absolutely game and it hasn't been a fight at all, but it's still felt like he's just been coming along for the ride. (So to speak...)

Well, the other day he wanted to look at bike shorts and ordered a pair (the LBS didn't have the ones he wanted in his size). And just now, he initiated looking online for those padded liners so he can wear other shorts and pants on our rides. AND this morning when we started looking at how full our day was looking, I suggested a shorter ride than the one we had planned (Sebastopol Farmers Market and back). Well, he decided that he'd rather give up seeing the new Bourne movie today than shorten our ride!
    Yet another unsuspecting spouse drinks the Kool-Aid. Yes, my fellow, join us on the Dark Side, where your next thrill is a hill away...

Well done! I hope you have many happy years of cycling ahead of you.

As someone else suggested, perhaps a tandem is in order?
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. We just got back from another long trip to Graton and back. We got to Sebastopol very quickly and still had energy to go farther. And it was his idea. It may have had something to do with the fact that there is a great breakfast place down the road a bit. (We are both very food-driven. And boy did that food taste great after two hours on the road on an empty stomach!)

Thanks, Tom. Just ordered him a pair of Borah's.
    Thanks, Yen. Steve is just about ready to retire. I've got a few more years to go, so I feel your pain. And yes, the shopping part is very, very fun. On the way home, we stopped off at the LBS where we bought our bikes. Made our appointments for the free 30-day check and had to look around a bit. Bought a cyclocomputer so we can keep track of the miles we are racking up. And they were having a 40% off sale on some nice jerseys, so I bought my first one. A nice orchid color.

Stepfam, my bum is doing pretty well so far, I'm surprised to say. Kind of disappointed because I'm just itching for an excuse to look more closely at those Brooks saddles.

Catalogs? What catalogs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the hook has been set deep.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stepfam, my bum is doing pretty well so far, I'm surprised to say. Kind of disappointed because I'm just itching for an excuse to look more closely at those Brooks saddles.

Catalogs? What catalogs?
    Don't go there- Brooks work for some but are a very expensive torture implement for others. Just get out and ride and attune the butt to the saddle. Then after your first "Long " ride- You will know if you have to think about wasting money on saddles.

As to catalogues- They are all available on line so although others will add to the List- A couple of my favourite bikes for you to peruse and dream about

http://www.boreas-bikes.dk/pages/ignis.html

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/

They will get you dreaming but you then have to hunt out the LBS to test ride- And that is still one of the best bits. Trying out all those bikes.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 1.2, Specialized Sirius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And this is a problem because?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Brooks work for some
    The B17 is the most popular saddle in history. Some men's magazine made a list of 'perfect things' and the B17 made the list alongside Porsches and private jets.

Sis uses a B67, my wife uses a Brooks Finesse. I use a leather saddle which is
    an updated version of a Brooks.

The tough part with a Brooks is finding the right one and getting through the break in. But once you do that you are set for a couple of decades.

My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi jp173. No, no! Not a problem at all. I'm hoping Steve and I both start down this journey together, and it's looking like my wish is coming true. I was sharing a hopeful update, not a complaint.

Thanks for letting me know about the catalogs, stapfam. Mmmmm. Shopping. I just installed a cyclocomputer yesterday and we cleaned and oiled our chains. I think we now need a stand to hold the bikes while we fiddle with them. Getting that front wheel off to attach the sensor to the front fork was awkward. As was working with the chains.

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TruF,
    Good job bringing yet another lost sheep home. You're going to have many happy miles together. There is nothing better than your spouse also being your biking partner.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast