Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 08-26-07, 07:39 PM   #1
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Hilly Hellacious lives up to its name!!

My first 100 mile century since mid June is now behind me. The ride went better than I had expected but probably due to taking it pretty easy. I think my riding time was 6hr 29 mins and with about 8500 ft of climbing so all in all I was pretty pleased. I did stop 3 times I think-just couldn't pass up ice cold watermelon after a 5 mile climb!!!

My ride goals were to:
Ride every wheel I possibly could get behind
Never, never, ever get out in front and lead a paceline
Stop more often and keep well hydrated
Never ever look at my time and just finish regardless of the time

The only goal I accomplished was the "hydration" one!!

The riding every wheel lasted about 60 miles.
The never lead a paceline lasted about......well it was really early in the ride. Just had to get the group's pace up a little!!
And when I peeked at my time with 20 miles to go I broke out the Gu and hammered much longer than I needed to!!!!

It got really hot around the 55-70 mile mark on some long uphills. I was riding in the oncoming lane up parts of the hills just to get in the shade. However about the 80 mile mark I got in a terrible Thunderstorm with really hard rain and some very nasty lightning. We were out in the middle of nowhere and the safest thing was just to keep riding and try and get out of the storm as quickly as possible-which I did. The rain felt really, really good though. I just didn't like the lightning bouncing off the sides of the hills around me........At least there were trees taller than me along the roads along the route where the lightning was!!

Base miles must have helped and not riding too much lately didn't seem to hurt too much. I was not as fast as in the past but hey, I'll give up a little time to enjoy the ride a little more these days.

One thing I'm seeing is these annual rides are trying to one-up each other. They all are starting to add more hills and steeper climbs on their routes. They threw 2-3 more climbs in today's route and it was pretty tough before. On some of the new hills the Garmin was showing climbs in the high teens for stretches. I don't mind doing different routes but it makes it really hard to figure out rest stops and also compare ride times when they do that to us.

One thing is for sure-just looking at the ride profile below we all got our money's worth on this one!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hilly Hellacious 2007.jpg (11.9 KB, 11 views)
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 07:44 PM   #2
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well done. Look like you're out of the doldrums.
Old 08-26-07, 08:06 PM   #3
doctor j

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
However about the 80 mile mark I got in a terrible Thunderstorm with really hard rain and some very nasty lightning. We were out in the middle of nowhere and the safest thing was just to keep riding and try and get out of the storm as quickly as possible-which I did. The rain felt really, really good though.
I can relate to that. Indeed, there's not a lot you can do but pedal. That's what happened to T-Man and me when we rode in our first century.

Congratulations on another good one!
doctor j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 09:41 PM   #4
Hermes 
Elite Rider

Bikes: Too Many
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Welcome back and congrats on achieving the most important objective.

Cat: Killer
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 12:21 AM   #5
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Gods must have been shining on you- Rain on the toughest parts of the ride are a godsend. And if the Gods are with you that much- Lightining is just a way of showing they care.

You haven't said so- But I presume you enjoyed the ride. It also sounds as you got the interest back in this "Gentle" ride so Welcome back. Just go into the next ride with the same attitude and Have another enjoyable ride.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 07:53 AM   #6
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
Great report, jppe. That's some serious climbing, but I knew you were still up to it.
Bud Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 09:33 AM   #7
SaiKaiTai

Bikes:
As if we ever had any doubt. Way to go jppe!
SaiKaiTai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 10:18 AM   #8
BSLeVan

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
My first 100 mile century since mid June is now behind me. The ride went better than I had expected but probably due to taking it pretty easy. I think my riding time was 6hr 29 mins and with about 8500 ft of climbing so all in all I was pretty pleased. I did stop 3 times I think-just couldn't pass up ice cold watermelon after a 5 mile climb!!!

My ride goals were to:
Ride every wheel I possibly could get behind
Never, never, ever get out in front and lead a paceline
Stop more often and keep well hydrated
Never ever look at my time and just finish regardless of the time

The only goal I accomplished was the "hydration" one!!
Old habits die hard, don't they? Congrats on a good ride.
BSLeVan is offline   Reply With Quote