User Tag List

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode My Age Today ... Not Planned, Just Happened.

I piddled around trying to navigate through three metroparks in SE Michigan that are linked by a paved bike path. The bad news is I ran out of bike path while going north into the higher metropark, but the good news is I wound up in a low traffic area (Romulus, MI) ... so kept riding on Huron Drive around the Romulus area of Metro Airport ... before backtracking to the bike path that goes into the two lower metroparks.

I fueled up with a large order of french fries and three large diet cokes (burp) at a Romulus Burger King, and got my second wind. Having not ridden in a week, my leg muscles seemed to have been fresh enough to take the distance. Total time from beginning to end of ride was about five and a half hours, but my computer for some reason lost its accrued average speed for the 270 collective miles I ended with today on my new bike. Today's distance was 52.7 miles and I recently turned 51, and I would guess that my average speed today was around 13 MPH.

I'm currently experiencing a comfortable pain in my leg and back muscles ... sort of like the saying "hurts so good". May be an endorphin high, that I've heard about from strenuous activity.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out-freakin' standing!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. Nothing like a little mileage to make the day right eh?
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats!! One of the best kind of rides!!

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Just happened " rides are often among the best.

“Believe me, my young friend”, to reconfigure a line from an old piece of wisdom, “there is nothing…absolutely nothing…half so much worth doing as simply messing about on a bike."
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love it when I set out to just do a ride and end up doing more than I thought I would do. congrats on the ride and the birthday.
    Glad your questionable mid-ride meal didn't kill you. 3 large Diet Cokes?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A long, casual, comfortable ride that just happens to pile up some mileage is a really nice day. Good for the soul and the body. Nice going!

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Glad your questionable mid-ride meal didn't kill you. 3 large Diet Cokes?
    What gets me is where the liquid went. I had just ridden eleven miles when I stopped at Carbs'R'Us (Burger King). I didn't feel thirsty when I went in, but as soon as I started drinking the first barrel (reaaally big cups) of diet pop, my body craved more liquid. I guess I should have just asked for copious amounts of water instead, since I wasn't drinking the diet pop for any sugar-energy. I didn't void any of the liquid I consumed, to include the water from my two bike-water-bottles, during the 5.5 hour ride. I didn't really sweat that much, as I was practically nekked except for hat, shoes, and shorts. So, where in the heck did all that liquid go?

PS: What exactly is an endorphin high, how much stress on the body is required for such an endorphin high, and how long does it last ... minutes, hours?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely done. The best rides are those that just seem to unfold.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go! Those unplanned ones are the best!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Large fries and 3! large diet Cokes? On a long ride? Oh man, just thinking about that makes my stomach hurt.