Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoosic River Ride

After a week of cool weather,and riding with long sleeves and jackets, we awoke Saturday to face temperatures in the 90's (at times it seemed more like 120 degrees farenheit). The hundred K ride through the hills of north west Massachusetts, New York, and Vermont was well organized and they had plenty of relief stations along the way for replenishing water supplies, munching, and resting sore muscles, but the unrelenting heat and humidity took its' toll. The lovely Lisa, who is the mover and shaker of the Hoosic ride said, here pharaphrazing "in the history of the ride there has never been so many DNF's".

I managed to finish in 6 1/2 hours including rest stops and lunch - no great time - but the key word here is "finish". The final climb into Williamstown (the home of Williams College) and up rte 7 to the finish/start
    at Greylock High School was particularly gruelling.

Thanks to Lisa, Paul from the Spoke, and all the other great un-named folks who volunteered to make this event possible. The happy hour later in the evening included a donated keg of Berkshire Brewing Company's steel rail pale ale - yumm. Also the slide show of the day's photos was a treat.

A soak in a warm tub with epsom salts made it possible for me to make it back for the happy hour.
    Last edited by boston blackie; 08-28-07 at 10:03 AM.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heat and Humidity can easily change a routine ride into one really miserable and challenging day!! Good for you for just finishing!!

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrtas BB, What a ride that must have been, it was hotter than h... here Saturday. I had to mow that lawn and nearly died. Didn't even think about taking the bike out.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein