Thread: This stinks!

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This stinks!

Did the Pan Mass Challenge a few weeks ago, and the following week did a short, hard hilly ride. After that ride, had severe pain in upper back to the side of my spine. Three fingers on my right hand went numb. Pain got worse, so I went to see the doc. He thinks I did something to a cervical disc...so, no riding, no golf (horror of horrors!) till I get cleared. It's been almost three weeks off the bike and I'm starting to go nuts. Have to go see a chiropracter tomorrow, and will probably have to follow that with an MRI. Just love to get stuffed in that tube...
    Oh well, had to vent. All I'm trying to think about is getting it straightened out before next spring....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yuck. Get better soon.

If you are not riding, feel free to spend the extra time hanging out here.

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope it is next Spring at the latest! Good Luck!!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That really does stink!

Follow doctors orders and I hope the healing time is short.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, that does stink. Can you get the MRI done on an "open" MRI? Since my insurance has gone this route, my life has gotten easier when it comes to MRIs. Good luck and heal fast.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Trek 2.1 s.p.a.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whaile you're waiting, get all your maintenance done to your bike. That's what I did When I came down with double pneumonia last June. I couldn't ride for a month.

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey RussB,

I live just down the road in Hopedale. Ever ride over my way?

Sorry for the thread hijack, returning you to your regularly scheduled programming.

geofitz, get well soon, pal. There is not that many of us from MA, we need all the help we can get
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BSL...asked the doc about the open MRI and he has to have it approved by the insurance co as it is the more expensive of the two. I've had a number of the closed ones (back injury) and they bite....hoping for the open.

Russ...the kicker is that the day I got hurt, I put the bike in the shop. Full tune up, trued the rear wheel, changed the cassette from a 25 to a 27, got all the cables lubed, even had the bar tape re-done. And now it sits in the garage, all alone and lonely...perhaps I should go say hi, so it doesn't feel abandoned. It's wasn't the bike's fault!!

They have me on some kind of steroid multi-day program along with some muscle relaxants. Seems to take the edge off, but at times, it still feels like somebody sticking an ice pick in my back.

This too, shall pass.....

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopedale Hills....not sure where you are located. Will have to mapquest it. I'm usually open to going just about anyplace on Saturdays to have a nice ride. I found that though I may be slow, I can go a long ways.....!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Yuck. Get better soon.

If you are not riding, feel free to spend the extra time hanging out here.
    Since YOU screwed up your back...you might as well let US screw up your brain.

But seriously, I hope you get better soon.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's see...about 30 years as a couch potato, then I took up cycling at 56 in 2006. I think it's too late. The brain is already gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geofitz13 View Post
    I think it's too late. The brain is already gone.
    Ah...you fit right in.

My Bikes
    Giant, Iron Horse, Shogun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my family members compressed a couple of disks and felt horrible for awhile; the regularly prescribed painkillers - the real high-test stuff - didn't work. Only Valium did...but I digress. After several months of slowly getting better but not fast enough, the neuro guy prescribed a vacation. No stress, no strain, just relaxing. 2 weeks later, voila! All better since. Hope you heal faster and completely soon.
    I can sympathize with you. My injury is way milder than yours (foot injury), but it went from a 2-3 week thing to 2.5 months now; I just wave to the bike now and then and promise to get out as soon as I can!
    Remember, wherever you go, there you are.
    - Buckaroo Banzai

My Bikes
    Trek 2.1 s.p.a.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geofitz13 View Post
    Russ...the kicker is that the day I got hurt, I put the bike in the shop.
    Bummer, I hope you feel better soon. I know what back pain is like. I've had it all my life (including spinal surgery)

Quote Originally Posted by HopedaleHills View Post
    I live just down the road in Hopedale. Ever ride over my way?

Pretty close, Just not this year one of my rides last year took me from Millis down 126 in Bellingham, then cut over to rt 140 by Pop N' Cork. Then 140 through Milford and onto South street to Hopkinton. From there I ride the first part of the Boston Marathon Route (from the start line, that down hill ride is a fast one). Once in Ashland I head through Sherbon and Medfield back to Millis.

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    Pretty close, Just not this year one of my rides last year took me from Millis down 126 in Bellingham, then cut over to rt 140 by Pop N' Cork. Then 140 through Milford and onto South street to Hopkinton. From there I ride the first part of the Boston Marathon Route (from the start line, that down hill ride is a fast one). Once in Ashland I head through Sherbon and Medfield back to Millis.
    That sounds like a good ride. I live about a mile from the Pop N Cork. That's one long incline up South Street to Hopkinton, I've done that one myself. I ride alot west of Milford, up through Mendon, Upton, Northbridge, etc. Lots of hills. My normal early Sat route is about 15 miles through Mendon down to Blackstone, over to Bellingham, back to Mendon, then Hopedale.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got back from the chiropractor today. They looked at xrays and decided it didn't look quite right. He doesn't want to do anything till he sees an MRI, and that will be a couple weeks off. He said from the xrays, it seems I have a little arthritis in my neck, but the main problem seems to be a bone spur and a pinched nerve. At this point, he doesn't think it's a disc problem so I guess that is good. Still being kept off the bike till they see the MRI. Ugh. Between this and the torn tendon in the same shoulder from a bike crash last year, the whole shoulder/neck is a real pain. Guess it could be worse, though....