Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think* I have a saddle sore?

There's a large area where my upper thing and my bottom meet, where it just hurts. It's hot, and red, and swollen. It happened after my first 40-miler, and at that point it was just a tiny pimple thing that hurt a lot. It doesn't hurt when I'm actually riding, though, so this confuses me.... It's been a couple weeks now.

Is this a saddle sore?

Is this thread useless without pics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be a saddle sore, or it could be an ingrown hair from pressure on your seat. Keep some Bag Balm on it, and it should get better. I like Body Glide in the areas that rub, it doesn't seem to need "replenishing" on a long ride like other lubes.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Brave Soldier ointment to expedite healing. This stuff is great!

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    Is this thread useless without pics?
    My retinas! They burn!

Try some face-pimple medication (easy to access if you have teenagers) on it for a few days and see what happens. If it's an ingrown hair the swelling will shrink and the redness should disappear and you can see what it is. If it's something else then you may want your doctor to deal with it, as an infection in this area will really crimp your ridin' style.

Hope it's a quick fix.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it is time to bring out the leeches.

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to add this, but what about the possibility of a spider bite? It might warrant a trip to the doc to have it checked out.
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooooh, I know about spider bites. My mom got bit by a brown recluse and it ate down to the bone in her thigh.

No, it's not that kind of a sore... are saddle sores like spider bites? This almost feels like it's a boil under the skin, but kind of broad and generalilzed. I'm not sure a topical would help, unless its to keep friction from happening to it. It's not a big deal, it's just that it's been around for a while. I can feel it the sharpest when I sit on a toilet seat.. it just seems to hit it in the wrong spot.

What happened is that I jumped from a 25 mile ride to a 40 mile ride one day, but I was surprised by it being limestone so I was slow and a long time in the saddle...and my bike was in the shop, so I was on my back-up bike with a new woman's brooks that I had never ridden. I think it was hard, and too wide for me.

Not any images that are easy to find on google... there are lots of a horse* getting saddle sore on its back. I had no idea. It looks terrible.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to a dermatologist and get some prescription medication.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ain't going to comment as I have had a fair too many pimples in the last few years from painfull saddles to give you advise.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could be...
    this comment will prolly come a little late for this one...
    since having suffered thru more small infections, down there, than I;d like to remember, round about Mid 1990s I started applying a very light touch antibiotic ointment down there, after showering, every 3 days or so, when I'm riding consistently.
    Happy to note that since then the minor infections from problem hair folicles and any such have pretty much not happened.
    In light of riding for avg 6 outta 7 days now since my re-entry back in April 05, and at least 2 days a week of 3+ and 4+ hour rides... no infections - a good thing
    hope you get it sorted - that stuff is a pain!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have the 2005 Dave Zabriskie "taint maintenance" article archived? I can't find it anywhere. It would fit right in to this discussion.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fairly common ailment especially for women. Keep the area clean. It will eventually either pop (gross I know) or be reabsorbed in the body. It's caused by pressure and irritation and hairs getting ingrown, all that. No way to prevent them if you ride alot. If they get large and painful enough you can drain them but make sure you "operate" as clean as possible.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI - go to teamestrogen.com. Do searches on these individual topics: "saddle sores" "ingrown hairs" and lots of topics and discussions come up. Right now there is a current thread on "saddle issues" - some problem.

Might be a better place to ask your question!
    Last edited by Pamestique; 08-28-07 at 04:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try a Brazilian wax....that'll take care of the hair..

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hot, red and swollen can indicate infection. You might oughta consult your healthcare practitioner. Especially if it doesn't improve soon. Warm soaks can increase bloodflow to the area and help with natural healing processes.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam View Post
    Fairly common ailment especially for women. Keep the area clean. It will eventually either pop (gross I know) or be reabsorbed in the body. It's caused by pressure and irritation and hairs getting ingrown, all that. No way to prevent them if you ride alot. If they get large and painful enough you can drain them but make sure you "operate" as clean as possible.
    I have the same experience as stated here.
    You can reduce the chance by twice daily applying Cort-aid cream or equivalent on carefully cleaned and dried skin. Removing hair in that area is also helpful. (Not shaving, removing with Epilaptor or tweezers or hair remover)
    These pimples are no fun if on a long tour. I would go to extremes to avoid them. That is what I am describing above.
    BTW, a sure way to get this is wearing damp or wet shorts. I guess improper sanitized shorts is even worse.

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, it's not that kind of a sore... are saddle sores like spider bites? This almost feels like it's a boil under the skin, but kind of broad and generalilzed. I'm not sure a topical would help, unless its to keep friction from happening to it. It's not a big deal, it's just that it's been around for a while. I can feel it the sharpest when I sit on a toilet seat.. it just seems to hit it in the wrong spot.
    I had a spider bite that had a solid core about 1 1/2 inches across and the redness covered an area of about 8 inches in diameter. It had no head. I applied ice and hot packs to try and get it to come to a head, but it never did. It took almost 15 days to go away. After I saw no improvement after 5 days I went to the doctor. Bacitracin and benydryl were what I used. I agree with the others that you should go see a doc
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandwarrior View Post
    I had a spider bite that had a solid core about 1 1/2 inches across and the redness covered an area of about 8 inches in diameter. It had no head. I applied ice and hot packs to try and get it to come to a head, but it never did. It took almost 15 days to go away. After I saw no improvement after 5 days I went to the doctor. Bacitracin and benydryl were what I used. I agree with the others that you should go see a doc
    Well, assuming the PO is like me, I rather not go to a doctor unless everything else fails. I go to Immediate Care and that means 50/50 a female doctor.
    I also had several of these things and some never popped and some did. All responded slowly, but responded, to Cort-aid type topical ointments. I do not know why but they did.
    On a 25 day tour I avoided all problems. Others did not. I shared my cream and they reported success.

I biked several weeks in FL in winter with high humidity. Lots of such problems until I got serious about it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne View Post
    Well, assuming the PO is like me, I rather not go to a doctor unless everything else fails.

Exactly. I didn't want to say so, because I'd didn't want to cause a hooply, but I don't go to the doctor unless I have to. The last time I went was about 3 years ago when I got shingles (which I really did* think were spider bites!)

I was just curious as to whether this was a saddle sore or or something else. I know bikers get saddle sores all the time, and treat themselves. I just never found a picture or a really good description. Sometimes it sounded like an abrasion, sometimes like an open sore, sometimes just a sore area.

If it really causes problems, I'll go to the doctor, but right now I think it's in the "common occurence" range.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. I didn't want to say so, because I'd didn't want to cause a hooply, but I don't go to the doctor unless I have to. The last time I went was about 3 years ago when I got shingles (which I really did* think were spider bites!)

I was just curious as to whether this was a saddle sore or or something else. I know bikers get saddle sores all the time, and treat themselves. I just never found a picture or a really good description. Sometimes it sounded like an abrasion, sometimes like an open sore, sometimes just a sore area.

If it really causes problems, I'll go to the doctor, but right now I think it's in the "common occurence" range.
    OK, I am trying to help. It took a few weeks but then it got smaller and went away. I used Cortizone, Anti-Itch cream, Cort-Aid, Anti-Bacterial Cream. All of them indiscriminately but every morning and night.

It fixed it. It is gone.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Will and everyone! I have a cream-slathered bottom as we speak.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected.....
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I had an ingrown hair last week from far too much sitting at a 2-1/2 day conference preceded by an 8-hr. car trip followed by a 9-1/2 hr. car trip home. Pain, redness, suffering. Feh.

I have some Bactroban cream left over from our crash 3+ wks. ago and applied it. Problem resolving as we speak. I did have to see my GP for the Rx, but wanted a second opinion on my wound care, banged-up knee, etc. resulting from the crash.

For the day prior to seeing the doc I used T*rget brand triple antibiotic ointment on my wounds and will use that on any future issues I have with other types of infections. I think my doc prescribed Bactroban as a preventive measure.

Hope your pain becomes a distant memory soon!
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An ointment my Dad used on us as kids, was Ointment of Icthamol. It is based from crude oil(says it in the ingredients). That stuff is black and needs to be covered well with a bandage to prevent dark clothing stains, but it draws out infections like nothing I've ever seen. A couple of years ago I looked around and didn't find it, but found another ointment with (crud oil) in the ingredients, and it worked just as well.

http://www.elydrugs.biz/ichthammol.html
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same thing, in the same place, trying different saddles. Anyhow I put Neosporin on it and it was gone in a week.
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast