User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is Really Weird

Sunday morning my wife and I were riding on the Blackstone River trail when we passed a guy on the side of the trail who was all dressed in road cycling clothes (shorts, jersey, shoes, gloves, etc.), had his Cannondale CAAD8 parked next him, taking a smoke break.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Reference the old TDF pictures available on the net to see tour riders lighting each other cigs.?????

As a former smoker who quit 16 years ago I can understand (not condone) him.

Doesn't someone here have a tagline on his posts about "If I'd known how long I was going to live I'd have taken better care..................."

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd think he would be able to smoke while riding.

I'm not really sure how much worse this is than some of the descriptions I see on here of mid-ride pies and other junk food.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably not weird at all, given that it is likely that millions of cyclists smoke.

And millions of us are over 200 pounds too!

You could think of it from the opposite direction, at least this smoker is out getting good exercise, doing something to help himself.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I understand as I just quit when I started riding two years ago. I just don't see how I could push myself like I do if I still smoked, especially on the hills. Then again maybe if you don't push too hard it doesn't really make a difference.

Actually, I think I remember reading a story on another forum about a roadie getting toasted by a women in her 40's who then proceeded to have a smoke after the race.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If he's young he's probably still immortal.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Way to go Tom! I just love those spare tire/tubes over the shoulder. (as different from around my waist)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a time when many professional cyclist thought that a smoke before a mountain climb would open up your lungs.... or, did I just make that up?
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As Tom pointed out in another post (indirectly), blood doping in the early tours probably involved leaches.

If I remember right (not to be taken for granted) The early Tours were not stage races. The entire race was run as one segment. When a rider was too tired to continue he would sleap, when hungry eat. Riders would wake up, grab a bite and return to the race not knowing what position they were in or who had passed in the night.

Wasn't Gitanes (spelling?) a cigarette company?

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be too hard on that guy. Quitting smoking is about the hardest thing you can do. I know. I've done it a few times. Unfortunately, it didn't stick....and yes, once in awhile, I can be seen on the side of the road taking a smoke break. At this age, it's hard to break habits. I know, I know, I guess I'm just weak.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    If he's young he's probably still immortal.
    The guy I seen was on his cell and smoking while riding. I'm glad he wasn't in his car though.
    George

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geofitz13 View Post
    Don't be too hard on that guy. Quitting smoking is about the hardest thing you can do. I know. I've done it a few times. Unfortunately, it didn't stick....and yes, once in awhile, I can be seen on the side of the road taking a smoke break. At this age, it's hard to break habits. I know, I know, I guess I'm just weak.
    It's not that hard to quit, I did a thousand times before I finally made it, 25 years ago.
    George

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 25 years ago my brother and I took off from Roanoke VA to the peaks of Otter on the blue ridge parkway. We were under full pack, tent, sleeping bags, etc. The bike's were loaded down. He smoked, I didn't. He was in much better shape then I though. He climbed the hills puffing, I climbed them huffing. We made it up that day - spent the night and came back the next day. He still smokes. He will probably die young. I am trying to get him back on the bike and off the smokes.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lady (regular rider) on our local trail always stops and has a smoke. We have talked with her about it, and no way is she going to give up those cigarettes.

I guess, all things consudered, it is better to ride and smoke than just smoke!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=BluesDawg;5160675]You'd think he would be able to smoke while riding.

I'm not really sure how much worse this is than some of the descriptions I see on here of mid-ride pies and other junk food.[/QUOTE]

Now wait a minute, PIE is junk food? I eat several pieces on my century rides as a store of energy. Works great without upsetting my stomach.
    To me junk food is food without redeeming value. I can think of lots of redeeming value in PIE.
    I am surprised the rest of the 50+ lets you get away with belittling one of our favored energy sources. (You do know they call calories Energy in some other countries?)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=will dehne;5163838]
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    You'd think he would be able to smoke while riding.

I'm not really sure how much worse this is than some of the descriptions I see on here of mid-ride pies and other junk food.[/QUOTE]

Now wait a minute, PIE is junk food? I eat several pieces on my century rides as a store of energy. Works great without upsetting my stomach.
    To me junk food is food without redeeming value. I can think of lots of redeeming value in PIE.
    I am surprised the rest of the 50+ lets you get away with belittling one of our favored energy sources. (You do know they call calories Energy in some other countries?)
    Nice rationalization.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of riders on the AIDS/LifeCycle--SF to LA ride (7 days) who are having a smoke at every rest stop. I contemplated smoking a cigar during the last couple of miles, but thought better of it.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=BluesDawg;5163908]
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne View Post

Nice rationalization.
    I got an advanced degree in it.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw a group of senior citizens in wheelchairs waiting for their tour bus this weekend. One guy is in his wheelchair having a smoke . . . with oxygen tubes sticking in his nose! Diehard!

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was finally able to find the right size Marlboro decals on eBay (some model race car enthusiast company located in France) so I've been putting Marlboro decals on the carbon forks on all my bikes. I'd always wanted to put something very small and very subtle and very politically incorrect on my bikes just to piss off all the sanctimonious PCer's out there. From a design perspective, the Marboro logo is very aesthetically pleasing. I'm also a fan of Formula 1 racing and had always admired the McLarens and Ferraris decked out like Marlboro cigarette packages.

I'd repaint my bikes red and white and put Marlboro stickers on them if Phillip Morris paid me...

(I quit smoking when I turned 21. Cold turkey. I considered it a test of my iron will, which I passed with flying colors after smoking about a pack a day since I was 18 (first 'boro's, then graduating to Player's Navy Cut, English Ovals, Camels, and finally Kools. I'm 57 now and haven't smoked since then).

- L.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember 20 years ago, riding up to alpine dam MT. Tam Calif. I'd let the rest of my bike group go up the mountain and I'd hang back for my camel, put the butt out and still beat them all to the top. I wish I hadn't smoked and got jazzed early in my teens about racing. I probably could have done very well. I did weigh about two pounds back then. BTW it's my twentieth anniversary quiting cold turkey. I was up to almost 4 packs a day.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    I was finally able to find the right size Marlboro decals on eBay (some model race car enthusiast company located in France) so I've been putting Marlboro decals on the carbon forks on all my bikes. I'd always wanted to put something very small and very subtle and very politically incorrect on my bikes just to piss off all the sanctimonious PCer's out there. From a design perspective, the Marboro logo is very aesthetically pleasing. I'm also a fan of Formula 1 racing and had always admired the McLarens and Ferraris decked out like Marlboro cigarette packages.

I'd repaint my bikes red and white and put Marlboro stickers on them if Phillip Morris paid me...

(I quit smoking when I turned 21. Cold turkey. I considered it a test of my iron will, which I passed with flying colors after smoking about a pack a day since I was 18 (first 'boro's, then graduating to Player's Navy Cut, English Ovals, Camels, and finally Kools. I'm 57 now and haven't smoked since then).

- L.
    You could always try the European F1 white stripe PC markings but that might be too subtile.