Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 08-28-07, 09:56 AM   #1
HopedaleHills
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is Really Weird

Sunday morning my wife and I were riding on the Blackstone River trail when we passed a guy on the side of the trail who was all dressed in road cycling clothes (shorts, jersey, shoes, gloves, etc.), had his Cannondale CAAD8 parked next him, taking a smoke break.
HopedaleHills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 10:01 AM   #2
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Reference the old TDF pictures available on the net to see tour riders lighting each other cigs.?????

As a former smoker who quit 16 years ago I can understand (not condone) him.

Doesn't someone here have a tagline on his posts about "If I'd known how long I was going to live I'd have taken better care..................."
maddmaxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 10:19 AM   #3
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
You'd think he would be able to smoke while riding.

I'm not really sure how much worse this is than some of the descriptions I see on here of mid-ride pies and other junk food.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 10:26 AM   #4
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Probably not weird at all, given that it is likely that millions of cyclists smoke.

And millions of us are over 200 pounds too!

You could think of it from the opposite direction, at least this smoker is out getting good exercise, doing something to help himself.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 10:33 AM   #5
HopedaleHills
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
Oh, I understand as I just quit when I started riding two years ago. I just don't see how I could push myself like I do if I still smoked, especially on the hills. Then again maybe if you don't push too hard it doesn't really make a difference.

Actually, I think I remember reading a story on another forum about a roadie getting toasted by a women in her 40's who then proceeded to have a smoke after the race.
HopedaleHills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 10:38 AM   #6
maddmaxx 
Small Member

If he's young he's probably still immortal.
Old 08-28-07, 10:40 AM   #7
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Old 08-28-07, 10:42 AM   #8
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Old 08-28-07, 10:42 AM   #9
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Way to go Tom! I just love those spare tire/tubes over the shoulder. (as different from around my waist)
Old 08-28-07, 11:19 AM   #10
BSLeVan

Bikes:
There was a time when many professional cyclist thought that a smoke before a mountain climb would open up your lungs.... or, did I just make that up?
BSLeVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 11:32 AM   #11
maddmaxx 
Small Member

As Tom pointed out in another post (indirectly), blood doping in the early tours probably involved leaches.

If I remember right (not to be taken for granted) The early Tours were not stage races. The entire race was run as one segment. When a rider was too tired to continue he would sleap, when hungry eat. Riders would wake up, grab a bite and return to the race not knowing what position they were in or who had passed in the night.

Wasn't Gitanes (spelling?) a cigarette company?
Old 08-28-07, 03:32 PM   #12
geofitz13

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite
Don't be too hard on that guy. Quitting smoking is about the hardest thing you can do. I know. I've done it a few times. Unfortunately, it didn't stick....and yes, once in awhile, I can be seen on the side of the road taking a smoke break. At this age, it's hard to break habits. I know, I know, I guess I'm just weak.
geofitz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 03:39 PM   #13
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
If he's young he's probably still immortal.
The guy I seen was on his cell and smoking while riding. I'm glad he wasn't in his car though.
Old 08-28-07, 03:41 PM   #14
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofitz13 View Post
Don't be too hard on that guy. Quitting smoking is about the hardest thing you can do. I know. I've done it a few times. Unfortunately, it didn't stick....and yes, once in awhile, I can be seen on the side of the road taking a smoke break. At this age, it's hard to break habits. I know, I know, I guess I'm just weak.
It's not that hard to quit, I did a thousand times before I finally made it, 25 years ago.
Old 08-28-07, 05:51 PM   #15
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
About 25 years ago my brother and I took off from Roanoke VA to the peaks of Otter on the blue ridge parkway. We were under full pack, tent, sleeping bags, etc. The bike's were loaded down. He smoked, I didn't. He was in much better shape then I though. He climbed the hills puffing, I climbed them huffing. We made it up that day - spent the night and came back the next day. He still smokes. He will probably die young. I am trying to get him back on the bike and off the smokes.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 05:58 PM   #16
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
A lady (regular rider) on our local trail always stops and has a smoke. We have talked with her about it, and no way is she going to give up those cigarettes.

I guess, all things consudered, it is better to ride and smoke than just smoke!
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 06:08 PM   #17
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
[QUOTE=BluesDawg;5160675]You'd think he would be able to smoke while riding.

I'm not really sure how much worse this is than some of the descriptions I see on here of mid-ride pies and other junk food.[/QUOTE]

Now wait a minute, PIE is junk food? I eat several pieces on my century rides as a store of energy. Works great without upsetting my stomach.
To me junk food is food without redeeming value. I can think of lots of redeeming value in PIE.
I am surprised the rest of the 50+ lets you get away with belittling one of our favored energy sources. (You do know they call calories Energy in some other countries?)
will dehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 06:22 PM   #18
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
[QUOTE=will dehne;5163838]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
You'd think he would be able to smoke while riding.

I'm not really sure how much worse this is than some of the descriptions I see on here of mid-ride pies and other junk food.[/QUOTE]

Now wait a minute, PIE is junk food? I eat several pieces on my century rides as a store of energy. Works great without upsetting my stomach.
To me junk food is food without redeeming value. I can think of lots of redeeming value in PIE.
I am surprised the rest of the 50+ lets you get away with belittling one of our favored energy sources. (You do know they call calories Energy in some other countries?)
Nice rationalization.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 07:59 PM   #19
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
There are a number of riders on the AIDS/LifeCycle--SF to LA ride (7 days) who are having a smoke at every rest stop. I contemplated smoking a cigar during the last couple of miles, but thought better of it.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Mojo Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 08:03 PM   #20
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
[QUOTE=BluesDawg;5163908]
Quote:
Originally Posted by will dehne View Post

Nice rationalization.
I got an advanced degree in it.
will dehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 09:54 PM   #21
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Saw a group of senior citizens in wheelchairs waiting for their tour bus this weekend. One guy is in his wheelchair having a smoke . . . with oxygen tubes sticking in his nose! Diehard!
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 10:16 PM   #22
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
I was finally able to find the right size Marlboro decals on eBay (some model race car enthusiast company located in France) so I've been putting Marlboro decals on the carbon forks on all my bikes. I'd always wanted to put something very small and very subtle and very politically incorrect on my bikes just to piss off all the sanctimonious PCer's out there. From a design perspective, the Marboro logo is very aesthetically pleasing. I'm also a fan of Formula 1 racing and had always admired the McLarens and Ferraris decked out like Marlboro cigarette packages.

I'd repaint my bikes red and white and put Marlboro stickers on them if Phillip Morris paid me...

(I quit smoking when I turned 21. Cold turkey. I considered it a test of my iron will, which I passed with flying colors after smoking about a pack a day since I was 18 (first 'boro's, then graduating to Player's Navy Cut, English Ovals, Camels, and finally Kools. I'm 57 now and haven't smoked since then).

- L.
lhbernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 12:15 AM   #23
taxi777
Wheres my snuggie?

Bikes:
I remember 20 years ago, riding up to alpine dam MT. Tam Calif. I'd let the rest of my bike group go up the mountain and I'd hang back for my camel, put the butt out and still beat them all to the top. I wish I hadn't smoked and got jazzed early in my teens about racing. I probably could have done very well. I did weigh about two pounds back then. BTW it's my twentieth anniversary quiting cold turkey. I was up to almost 4 packs a day.
taxi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 04:49 AM   #24
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
I was finally able to find the right size Marlboro decals on eBay (some model race car enthusiast company located in France) so I've been putting Marlboro decals on the carbon forks on all my bikes. I'd always wanted to put something very small and very subtle and very politically incorrect on my bikes just to piss off all the sanctimonious PCer's out there. From a design perspective, the Marboro logo is very aesthetically pleasing. I'm also a fan of Formula 1 racing and had always admired the McLarens and Ferraris decked out like Marlboro cigarette packages.

I'd repaint my bikes red and white and put Marlboro stickers on them if Phillip Morris paid me...

(I quit smoking when I turned 21. Cold turkey. I considered it a test of my iron will, which I passed with flying colors after smoking about a pack a day since I was 18 (first 'boro's, then graduating to Player's Navy Cut, English Ovals, Camels, and finally Kools. I'm 57 now and haven't smoked since then).

- L.
You could always try the European F1 white stripe PC markings but that might be too subtile.