User Tag List

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Classic Adirondack Riding

Today marks day 4 of a 10 day vacation in the Daks. I decided to go out in the morning for what I thought would be about a 50 mile ride. My plan was to branch out into some new terratory. In the Adirondacks you can't count on a rode being paved all the way and if it is it might be marignal at best - good steel territory - CF and weak wheels need not apply. At mile 30 I found a state policeman and told him my planned route, he told me the road names had changed and it was all blacktop. I knew my distance estimate was going to be off by this point as well. Here are the stats - 66 miles, 15.5 mph avg, 3100 feet of verticle, I made two stops so I was out for 5.5 hours. Lots of ups n downs - on many of the descents I had to go slow because the cracks and heaves in the "pavement". It was a glorious ride, the smell of pine, the beautiful lakes I passed by, the rustic mountains and the cute shops I stoped in along the way. I would recommend this area as a vacation spot.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you had a good ride in spite of some 'setbacks' ... when I saw the thread title I was thinking of the lounge chairs you see in the back yard ..therfore figguring it was a 'bent' thread. : )
    Glad you enjoyed. I like rides like that out in nature with no particular place to go nor speed to get there.
    peace

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love that area of NY State myself. All of my riding up there has been either Fireroads or singletrack off road which is just as wonderful as riding the roads up there. I helped create a MTB Program up at the Adirondack Scouting Reservation a number of years ago.

I loved the drive from Watertown up to the Camp on Route 3. Reminds me of the roads in Germany.

I really need to get back up there and do some dirt again...
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I debated about bringing the MTB on this trip but left it at home. I had done some road riding up here before and knew the pavement could be sketchy. On my last vacation here a few years back I was fair bit slower on the road bike and a little less adventerous so the pavement didn't bother me. This time though with my cruising speed up about 5 mph I feel it is slowing me. I should have put on my old wheels and wider tires. I am sure glad though that I am using the Conti gatorskins, they take a licking and keep on spinning.

My MTB experiences here a few years back were not as much fun, I went downhilling at one of the ski hills - found out why people use full suspension bikes, got tossed around on my hard tail.

My Bikes
    2003 BIANCHI VIGORELLI, 2000 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you gotta love the riding in the ADKs. I was up there a couple of weeks ago on a short tour. I went through Old Forge, to the museum, up and over to Keene, all around Lake Placid and those towns, then back on the 3. Amazing scenery, great little towns, and the skeeters weren't too bad. Some of the climbs can definitely beat you up, especially on a loaded touring bike.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea - I traded my touring bike for my performance bike 12 years ago. The long flexy frame makes a big difference. My current bike is great on smooth road, can really fly and does have a good flex to it as it is classic Italian steel - columbus SLX tubing, so it will take a beating as well. I only do this once a year so I would not consider a touring bike. I will consider taking my old wheels which are hanging in my garage and get the rear wheel rebuilt (as it is hopelessly untrueable) and the widest road tires the rims & brakes will tolerate for next year up here.

Were off to Blue Mtn lake today - a day off the bike. Tomorrow is a different story.

I am seriously considering a new CF bike - but it would stay at home on a trip like this. Wouldn't want to beat it up on these roads.

BTW - I am riding in the southern DAKs - my trek was around schroon & loon lakes. Little places like Chestertown, Redwing and Raparius. I could easily retire up here. Except for black fly and mud seasons the climate is great - you have to have some winter sports though.

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up just outside of Utica and we used to spend a week every summer in Eagle Bay. It's a great area. I think riding from Eagle Bay up toward Big Moose would be a good ride. Maybe next year. Sounds like you are having a great trip, have fun.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once again, I find myself green with envy. Maybe I'll get a cycling vacation after the last kid is finished with college.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    2003 BIANCHI VIGORELLI, 2000 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post

Were off to Blue Mtn lake today - a day off the bike. Tomorrow is a different story.

Did you happen to go to the ADK museum? I'm not much of a museum kind of person, but I gotta admit, that museum is impressive. I spent almost an entire day there.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - when we take our vacation here we stop in - did that yesterday. To give you an idea of just how great a place it is, it was on my 7 year olds list of things to do on this vacation - it ranked above the amusement park!

My Bikes
    Raleigh Supercourse, Peugeot Iseran, Raleigh Twenty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Today marks day 4 of a 10 day vacation in the Daks. I decided to go out in the morning for what I thought would be about a 50 mile ride. My plan was to branch out into some new terratory. In the Adirondacks you can't count on a rode being paved all the way and if it is it might be marignal at best - good steel territory - CF and weak wheels need not apply. At mile 30 I found a state policeman and told him my planned route, he told me the road names had changed and it was all blacktop. I knew my distance estimate was going to be off by this point as well. Here are the stats - 66 miles, 15.5 mph avg, 3100 feet of verticle, I made two stops so I was out for 5.5 hours. Lots of ups n downs - on many of the descents I had to go slow because the cracks and heaves in the "pavement". It was a glorious ride, the smell of pine, the beautiful lakes I passed by, the rustic mountains and the cute shops I stoped in along the way. I would recommend this area as a vacation spot.
    I was in upstate NY last week on somewhat grim family business, so I didn't get any cycling in. I was mostly near the Catskills, but the whole area was so beautiful that I began building a tour itinerary in my head. I'll be going up again in the spring, and your post makes me want to add the Adirondacks to my itinerary.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry,

Spring in the Adirondaks is a lot later than in GA. If you can wait until June then you will do much better. We still have snow on Gore Mtn in early June sometimes. The summer here is like your spring and spring comes very late.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I really need a vaction bad and that sounds like a place to check out , thanks for the report.
    George

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Man, I really need a vaction bad and that sounds like a place to check out , thanks for the report.
    If your budget is low you should just come up to Arkansas. The Ouachita and Ozark mountains offer similar terrain and lots of cycling opportunities.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George,

If you decide to try it let me know and I will make some recommendations to help you along. The tourist season ends this weekend. The weather will still be good for another month and leaf season is at the end of Sept. I have been here when it was snowing in the second week in October. Where I stay there are numerous hikes. In fact we were hiking today - but kept it short as there were thunderstorms in the area.

Tomorrow it's a 45 mile ride around loon lake and friends lake in the early AM, should hit a high of 75 tomorrow after a high of 85 today... After the ride I will see if the fam is up for a climb up Peaked Peak.
    A view from the top: