Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm down to these two.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I'm down to these two.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-07, 04:06 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I'm down to these two.

I've been trying bikes out, for some time now and the 2 I'm down to are touring bikes. It what must of my riding is anyhow. I took the Cannondale T800 out for a ride and I was surprised how nice it rode. I've got the Novara Randonee on order and I should have it by the end of the week. You have to order it from REI, but you don't have to buy it. I had the Randonee about a year ago and it is a very nice bike, but I couldn't handle it at the time. I couldn't believe how the Cannondale fit, but I'm worried about road buzz. It's hard to find out how bad it will be without taking it out for 30 or 40 miles though. When I had the Randonee, the farthest I went was about 20 miles. The way I have my Jamis set up now it's easier to get in the drops. That's something I never thought I'd say, but it works. Anyhow If you don't mind give me some of your opinions. The Randonee is $950 and the Cannondale is $1300.
Old 08-28-07, 06:14 PM
Do I use too many commas?

Bikes: Giant Yukon SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Repeat after me. "Fit is everything."

Wasn't that easy? If it fits that much better; buy it!
Old 08-28-07, 06:26 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
George,

Do you have a well-defined list of things that you want to get out of the next bike? I ask because the Randonee is a bit of a downgrade from your present bike. Are you looking for a bike with drop bars that can be ridden for long-distances & possibly carrying gear with you? Is your Jamis deficient in key areas that you hope to address with the next bike?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-28-07, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
George,

Do you have a well-defined list of things that you want to get out of the next bike? I ask because the Randonee is a bit of a downgrade from your present bike. Are you looking for a bike with drop bars that can be ridden for long-distances & possibly carrying gear with you? Is your Jamis deficient in key areas that you hope to address with the next bike?
Not really long distances, probably overnighters is all. There was just something about the Cannondale, when I got on it, it really felt good. I had to order the Randonee in order to try it, but I can leave it at the store if I don't like it. I looked at all the specs and they are pretty close, between the C'dale and the Randonee. I know it's a matter of size and comparing components, but I was thinking if anybody that has dealt with these bikes could tell me something I don't know. I did PM some people, but that was before the Randonee became part of the equation. I like the ideal of getting into the drops in a big headwind, which we have a lot of here. I've been getting pretty low with these trekking bars as well though. I remember when I got that Randonee a year ago and it really felt fast. Maybe it was just me at the time, I don't know. It probably was, because I have the same gearing in the bike I have now. Anyhow it ( the Cannondale ) , felt pretty nice to ride, but I wont know about the Randonee until the end of the week. It all might be out the window, after it's all said and done. I sure learned a lot about bikes in this last couple of months. Anyhow, these are the last 2 that I could think of buying and if I don't, that will be it.
Old 08-28-07, 07:14 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the Cannondale an 07 George? As I have said before, I really like mine. As the others have said, it's the fit that is everything. I almost bought the Novara a year ago when I was in Denver. The REI on the south part of the city had one in my size. I liked it ok, but it seemed twitchy to me. I can't describe it, and it was probably just me anyway. I never felt that on the Cannondale though. Leaving Tuesday on my second tour this summer. Looking forward to it. I haven't been riding much lately. Been down in Peoria IL every week for the past 4 weeks and have been doing a lot of running and very little biking.

Good luck with whichever you choose. I'm sure it will the one for you.
Old 08-28-07, 07:28 PM

It's a 2008 mike, but the only difference is it's silver, like the one I have and my wife don't like that. The other change is the adjustable stem to get the bars up, that's about it.
Old 08-28-07, 07:46 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If in the end, you fall in love with the Cannondale, then no one would fault you for buying it. One never can tell exactly which bike is going to strike a chord with them.

But I would point out that your 2005 Jamis Coda Elite actually has several parts that are above the level of the Cannondale T800. And it (the Jamis) even has a longer wheelbase. Plus that sturdy cro-moly frame. So before plunking down the cash/plastic, I would take one more ride on your current bike to think about how much you are gaining from the new bike.

All of that said, if the Cannondale feels like it is a great fit and you can't wait to ride it, then go for it.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-28-07, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still think you owe yourself a Rivendell that is made to order for you. Plus I think you DESERVE a bike that good.
Old 08-28-07, 09:26 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
I still think you owe yourself a Rivendell that is made to order for you. Plus I think you DESERVE a bike that good.
Yes indeed. And so do I. Not gonna happen, but it should.
And what gets me is that somewhere tomorrow some silly person is going to spend $5000 on a doghouse for a poodle.
Old 08-28-07, 09:48 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For loaded touring, the Cannondale is a classic with uncounted miles people have accumulated on them. I recall cycling in Oregon one week some years ago. Man, every other bike was a dark blue Cannondale tourer loaded like the Joads' old truck. I doubt anyone has ever called them "twitchy". You may not out-sprint that Cervelo, but you'll still be out there when its rider is home icing his knees.

LIke Terrierman, I'd like to see you on a "celeste" Riv Atlantis....but they cost a lot of pretty pennies.

Last edited by CrossChain; 08-28-07 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-28-07, 10:19 PM

I can't sleep thinking about this and I think you guys are probaly right. That's why I have to post it before I buy it. I just have to keep refreshing my mind, like Tom does. Thanks again Tom, I'll just have to wait for the Rivendell. Now I'm going to lock myself in my room.
Old 08-28-07, 10:24 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by George
I can't sleep thinking about this and I think you guys are probaly right. That's why I have to post it before I buy it. I just have to keep refreshing my mind, like Tom does. Thanks again Tom, I'll just have to wait for the Rivendell. Now I'm going to lock myself in my room.
LOL. George, I'm afraid what you've got is incurable. Luckily, the prognosis is good.
Old 08-28-07, 11:14 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
George, you seem to be partial to owning a touring bike. Nothing wrong with that. Are you planning on doing some serious touring? Is the Jamis failing you in some way, such as being uncomfortable when you ride over 40-50 miles or when you ride 3 days in a row? It is a jittery ride? Is the ride unstable when carrying more weight?

If you do have significant issues with the Jamis and the Cannondale T800 addresses those, then I could understand you making the swap even though the bikes are relatively even in quality.

But if the Jamis is comfortable for you and if your trek bars give you enough hand positions to keep your hands in good shape and if you would have to raise drop bars up to where you are no lower with them than with your trek bars, then why switch? Given that a number of people tour with trekking bars, there is no requirement that a touring bike have drop bars.

I keep looking around because I have identified a number of ways where I could realize improvements over my Trek hybrid. I can't remember seeing a post from you that stated the shortcomings of your Jamis.

Touring is interesting in that many different types of bikes can be used for touring, and many of the most popular touring bikes are not uber expensive.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 08-29-07 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-29-07, 06:23 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
George you are as bad as I was. I spent more time choosing my new bike than I did my new car. CrossChain: I was describing the Novara as twitchy not the Cannondale. It was smooth as silk for me. I love mine.
Old 08-29-07, 07:02 PM

You wont believe what happened today. I bought new shoes and pedals (clipless) with a bigger platform, PD-M424 and up pulls a UPS truck. I stopped working wondering what he had. He had a Novara Randonee and it was a 59cm, my size. I said is this Christmas or what, he just laughed and said sign here. I said you wont believe this, that bike is suppose to go, from the store in Dallas, to the store in Houston, because they put it together. As he carried it away, I had a tear in my eye.

Now comes the hard part. I was thinking, I put the Wellgo B18 platforms on my bike 2 days ago and I pumped my heart out. No pain in the knees, nothing OK. So I figured, if I put these pedals on with the bigger platforms and I have these new stiffer shoes there wouldn't be any problem. WRONG, I must of did 10 adjustments on the shoe clip and the same nagging pain. Not a pain where I can't walk but I can still feel it tugging a little bit. When I rode with the Wellgo's I didn't move my feet and if I did I don't remember. No pain at all, I guess I'm destine for platform pedals. If anybody has any ideas please let me know what I could do.
Old 08-29-07, 07:34 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You sure are going through a lot of effort to adapt to a pedal that lab tests show give about a 1%-2% improvement.
Old 08-29-07, 07:47 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

You sure are going through a lot of effort to adapt to a pedal that lab tests show give about a 1%-2% improvement.
Your next avatar should be a lab rat
Old 08-29-07, 08:08 PM

You know what Tom, I believe your right again.
Old 08-29-07, 10:03 PM
just keep riding

Nice avatar, Tom. I especially like the way he seems to be chasing his own tail.
Old 08-29-07, 10:26 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found a few dozen lab rat pics, but I liked it for the very reason that you pointed out.

Old 08-30-07, 05:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
George,
Have you tried a recumbent?
If your looking for comfort it's hard to beat a Tour Easy or Rans Stratus.

Joe
Old 08-30-07, 05:07 AM
just keep riding

I think a Jamis Coda Elite with trekking bars might be a pretty good choice for you. If you have access to one of those, try a 15,000 mile test ride (take as long as you need to complete it), making minor adjustments along the way. If after that you think it won't work for you, then maybe you need something different.
Old 08-30-07, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I think a Jamis Coda Elite with trekking bars might be a pretty good choice for you. If you have access to one of those, try a 15,000 mile test ride (take as long as you need to complete it), making minor adjustments along the way. If after that you think it won't work for you, then maybe you need something different.
Old 08-30-07, 09:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George
Not really long distances, probably overnighters is all. There was just something about the Cannondale, when I got on it, it really felt good.
My experience with my T800, too. There is just something about this bike. I liken it to the differenct between a pinto station wagon and an oversized Lincoln. The T800 is not sporty by any means, but it is major comfort. I've loaded mine with up to 60 lbs of gear with not problems at all. Road buzz? Never felt any on this bike.
Old 08-30-07, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,041 Times in 4,475 Posts

I have a Cannondale touring bike, too. Mine is old enough to have a steel fork. It's great for touring, but for centuries and club rides I take one of my road bikes.
If you're O.K. on flat pedals but want to try clipless, try to set the cleats to the same position as you are in with the flat pedals. For me, that means using Kneesavers, 1" spacers between the pedal and crankarm.