• On al least one roadie, I have changed from drops to flats

6 6.82%
  • On al least one roadie, I have changed from flats to drops

12 13.64%
  • On al least one roadie, I have always used a flat bar

7 7.95%
  • On al least one roadie, I have always used a drop bar

60 68.18%
  • On al least one roadie, I have changed to another type bar (please state below)

1 1.14%
  • On al least one roadie, I have done some other combination?? (please explain below) Thanks

2 2.27%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop Bars/flat Bars/other?

Quote Originally Posted by kerlenbach@cfl. View Post

Most of us in this forum seem to be going from drop bars to straight bar, not the other way around.

OK, do you use drops or flats. Have you changed from one to the other? This is to provide further info for a discussion on another thread. Should switch to drops feel like a train wreck?

If you have changed bars on at least one bike, but kept all the others the same, answer for the changed bike, please, and tell us about it in the discussion.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-30-07 at 05:06 AM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No matter what I did, I didn't like drop bars. Flat bars however did not provide as many alternatives to the rider. Settled on a compromise that behaves like the upper half of the drops but with brakes that fit my hands more like MTB levers.

I use an aero base bar with bar end shifters and cyclocross brake levers on the ends. Pictures of this have been posted in the past.

It probably feels better to me because I ride the MTB more than 75% of the time and I wanted a similarity of control group feel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far, no one has changed from drops to flats?? Anyone?

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't quite understand the poll. I've never changed the bars on a bike.

However, I have changed from a flat bar bike to a drop bar bike.

Now that I've found that drop bars are far and away more comfortable for me to ride--even with my arthritic back--I'm replacing the flat bar bike with another drop bar one for the winter. It was certainly a challenge trying to find road style frame and drop bars in something that has disc brakes and would accommodate my studded snow tires.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    So far, no one has changed from drops to flats?? Anyone?
    Couldn't vote more than once, went with the one that was latest change.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    I don't quite understand the poll. I've never changed the bars on a bike.

However, I have changed from a flat bar bike to a drop bar bike.

Now that I've found that drop bars are far and away more comfortable for me to ride--even with my arthritic back--I'm replacing the flat bar bike with another drop bar one for the winter. It was certainly a challenge trying to find road style frame and drop bars in something that has disc brakes and would accommodate my studded snow tires.
    I would think that changing from a flat bar to a drop bar bike would be equivalent to changing the bars on a bike. Sorry, it is impossible to anticipate all contingencies when writing a poll, which is why I put in an "other."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's OK Dnvr, no one here would ever take offense at someone's attempt to do good.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    That's OK Dnvr, no one here would ever take offense at someone's attempt to do good.....
    Yeah - tell me about it!

In my experience, anyone who posts a poll does so at their extreme risk, for everyone else always knows how to do it better, even though they don't ever post a poll themselves!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-31-07 at 05:25 AM.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both my road bikes came with drops and I've never considered changing them. I really like the choice of positions on the drop bars. I probably ride the hoods 90% of the time but love the drops when I'm pedaling into a strong headwind

I've seen some post they like the drops when doing fast descents but I feel I have more control over the bike out on the hoods on downhills. I realize the tuck position would be better for speed but safetly is the first thing in my mind going down those steep hills
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Both my road bikes came with drops and I've never considered changing them. I really like the choice of positions on the drop bars. I probably ride the hoods 90% of the time but love the drops when I'm pedaling into a strong headwind

I've seen some post they like the drops when doing fast descents but I feel I have more control over the bike out on the hoods on downhills. I realize the tuck position would be better for speed but safetly is the first thing in my mind going down those steep hills
    +1
    This is exactly what I was ready to post. You saved me typing.

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    me

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of my road bikes have always had drops, and all of my mountain bikes have always had flat bars, although I did consider putting drops on the Schwinn, but never got around to it. Adding extensions to the Schwinn's flat bars helped immensely, by providing me with a much-needed neutral rotation (palm vertical) position similar to what I can obtain with drop bars. Since I have those great old 4-finger motorcycle style Shimano brake handles, I can grab the brakes from either the grips or the extensions.

On a road bike, traditional drop bars look far better than any other type, and I take full advantage of the multiple hand positions.

Now that I think about it, I have changed two bikes from flat handlebars to drops. The first was an old Hercules 3-speed which I converted into a 12-speed with a 14-16-18-20 Cyclo cogset adaptor for the Sturmey Archer hub. The second was my current UO-8, which I originally built up for my wife, starting with the bare frame and UO-18 style flat bars. Since my wife now prefers riding a mountain bike on trails over street cycling, I built her a mountain bike and converted the UO-8 into my commuter, with drop bars and barcons.
    Last edited by John E; 08-30-07 at 08:33 AM.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the drops. i usually ride in the drops, then change to the hoods or tops for a position change. i personally wouldn't change from drops to flats on my roadie, but i would consider changing from one type of drops to another if were a comfort issue. i like the variability of hand positions offered by drops.

(and i would never harass somebody that put together a poll... or claim to be able to do it better or know more.... i pretty much don't know much of nothin'.... i appreciate the efforts and work of those who create the polls and those who respond.... thank you, dnvrfox.)
    Be in this moment.
    Do not seek the truth. Accept it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drop bars for me for all the reasons stated, and they just look right.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once took a no-suspension MTB and converted it to a drop bar road/dirt road/trail bike. It worked like a charm. I later deconstructed that bike and sold it in its original form. I got a better rigid steel MTB frame which I keep reinventing in different forms. It currently is configured as a town bike with an upright bar which I can't seem to get really comfortable with. Next I'll try a trekking bar. My long term plan for this bike is to set it up with a moustache bar as a true on and off road bike.

My true road bikes have drop bars. I have tried almost every kind of bar available. For road riding of any significant distance, nothing else comes close to being as comfortable for me. The best road bar I have found is the Nitto Noodle.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix / Scott CR-1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a fuji absolute that had flat bars and I changed over to drops. I had to buy new shifters and a better derailleur and I also changed the cassette 11-32 to get away from MTN bike gearing to road gearing 12-25 . I just got tired of riding in the wind in the straight up position. Before I switch bars I purchased a T-2 areo bar and mounted it . This helped on the flats but I still had problems on winding roads and with the club who would not allow me to used them while I was with them. I rode for a month or so on the coverted
    hybrid. The next month it was for sale on "Craigs list" and I then went and purchased a Roubaix. Best move I ever made was to add those drops to that bike and see the diffrence drops had over flat bars even though it cost me a bit of money after I realized it.
    Scott CR1 Pro
    Garmin Edge 305 HR+CAD, Shimano Ultegra-6600 shifters, 10sp 12-27 cassette, Shimano Ultegra-6600 front & Rear Derailleur, Shimano Ultegra-6600 38/52 Crank, Shimano Ultegra-6600 brakes,Continental Grand Prix 4000s tires, Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels, Crank Brothers "Quattro'" pedals, Selle Italia SLR Saddle, FSA K-Wing Pro compact Road bars,Samsung YP-U2J MP3 player

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Trek 7200FX is of course flat bar. In stock condition I still wanted it higher so added a stem riser. I bought from ebay the Trek 1000 to try a road bike. I also added a stem rider to that bike to raise the drop bars. No doubt years of no exercise and large gut were preventing my body from bending down to a bar. I also didn't care for any weight on my hands. The Trek 1000 was eventually converted to a flat bar. Bar ends were added for a couple more hand positions. The two road bikes I built since the Trek were built with a flat bar. I'll be converting the Trek 1000 back to a drop bar for sale. Will no doubt give the drop bar another try so see if my bit of weight loss has changed anything.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, is this poll limited to those who own a "road" bike?

If so, then how is a "road" bike defined?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post

Man, there's one in every crowd!

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That depends on what the definition of "is" is.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I might point out the the original post did not specify ownership. In fact it did not even specify bicycle. Now if anyone out there would like to convert a "roadie" this is you chance

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Man, there's one in every crowd!
    Well, I am a statistician.

I was once told that if you laid every statistician end to end around the world ... it would be a good thing.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    '05 Giant OCR1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my reasons for buying a new road bike was to switch from flat bars to drop bars. It just seems that drop bars only add to your positioning options while taking nothing away from a flat bar bike - unless you like grip shifters. My wrists and arms would get sore fairly quickly on my old hybrid.

I read long ago that the positioning on a drop bar bike is better for your back that being more upright - stretched out rather than compressed. I'm sure this is not as simple as that, but I tend to remember statements that agree with what I would like to be true. Doesn't everybody?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mountain Bikes with Drop bars......
    Drop bars on your mtb?

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    I might point out the the original post did not specify ownership. In fact it did not even specify bicycle. Now if anyone out there would like to convert a "roadie" this is you chance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast