Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is worse????

Having your chain break just 3 miles from the house or..........

having to call one of your coworkers who has a pickup truck to come take you home-so they know you've been out riding instead of working!!!!

I already had new chain was going to replace it but just hadn't gotten 'round to it. It broke due to some quick downshifting/chain jumping off the front and getting in a bind at a large intersection when a light changed quickly from green to red on me. If I carried a chain tool I could have removed the bad link-but that's a first in 6 years so I'll continue to take my chances as long as I have cell phone. I also could have walked the 3 miles but when you have friends with pickups that sure seems easier and faster.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see nothing was injured but your pride on this chain break. The last one I had was when I was climbing a pretty steep hill, and I went down and into a cement drain ditch. I had few kind words to say as went down on that one. And, yes it is good to have friends with a pickup truck.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walking 3 miles in road shoes is mighty hard on the cleat. That said, I once broke down about 30 miles from home (freewheel fell apart and lost all bearings). This was way before the days of cell phones, but I eventually thumbed a ride with a nice couple in a pick-up truck.

For three miles I would have used the bike like a scooter to get home. I am way to proud to call for a ride.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    For three miles I would have used the bike like a scooter to get home. I am way to proud to call for a ride.
    I've done that. The left-side BB bearing race wore out and the side of it popped out suddenly during my commute to work. My crank was now hanging out of the side of the BB. Since my employer had a zero tolerance of lateness policy, I had to get there on time. I normally left 15 minutes early. This gave me time to cool down usually, and provided a safety buffer in case I got a flat.

So I stepped on the pedal, and kicked the bike along like a scooter for the last couple of miles. That 15 minutes did me well. I punched in exactly on time. After work, I got a ride home from a co-worker who had a pickup truck.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That scooting is not as easy as it sounds. I broke a chain and then had it take the derrailler off . Convert to single speed- but I was a half link out and the chain broke again 6 miles from home. Mate went ahead to get his van and meet me but I had 4 miles of Scooting up a rough track and boy was I tired by the time I could crawl into the Back of his van and calm down.

Good training for building legs though- Providing you change sides on the Bike.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I broke a chain 1 mile into a 100 mile ride. Since it was mostly downhill back to the start (a sports store with a bike shop), I because coasting back. When I ran out of slope, I started scooting. My son-in-law said, "Grab my shoulder. I 'll tow you." As soon as I did, down I went. He was pushed off into a gutter, but didn't go down. I learned my lesson.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post

having to call one of your coworkers who has a pickup truck to come take you home-so they know you've been out riding instead of working!!!!
    Ya silly bugga

It's bit like taking a sickie to go to the cricket/football/whatever and being picked up on the telecast

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reminds me of the time a buddy and I skipped out from work one afternoon, he entered and won an Ice Cream eating contest and was on the 6 o'clock news telling everybody how his brain was froze.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I've never skipped out of work to go for a ride, here in FL it is mandatory once in a while to skip out to go to a spring trainng game. Nothing beats watching a ballgame in March in Florida on a Tuesday afternoon.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least it was your chain and not a flat. I learned to carry a spare after walking out 2.5 miles on road shoes, then socks.
    Another time I was out on my 70's Raleigh going up a steep hill when the chain broke (it's replacement was in the mail, no less). At the last millisecond, spinning freely I was able to unclip. Amazing as it seems, a roadie was passing in the opposite direction (this was an obscure subdivision back road cut through). Unfortunately he didn't have his chain tool. The last 2 miles was walking up hill and coasting down the other side - until I got to where my van was being serviced.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I already had new chain was going to replace it but just hadn't gotten 'round to it. It broke due to some quick downshifting/chain jumping off the front and getting in a bind at a large intersection when a light changed quickly from green to red on me. If I carried a chain tool I could have removed the bad link-but that's a first in 6 years so I'll continue to take my chances as long as I have cell phone. I also could have walked the 3 miles but when you have friends with pickups that sure seems easier and faster.........
    Funny thing - I just broke my chain last night on an easy ride before a century tomorrow. Luckily I was only .5 miles from home so I took off my cycling shoes and walked up a hill and rode down to get home. I just put on a new chain - kinda worried about riding 100 miles tomorrow w/out a test ride but I think I'll be fine..... (cue dueling banjos music in the background).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what's worse ? having to be saved by anyone for a measly 3 mile hike or scoot. man up and ...sheesh it's 3 miles !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 2 miles from home and a broken chain. Figured there was enough downhill to coast and pushed the rest. Pain in the a** but I still have my pride.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby c View Post
    I just put on a new chain - kinda worried about riding 100 miles tomorrow w/out a test ride but I think I'll be fine..... (cue dueling banjos music in the background).

Sorry for the really bad karma!!! But at least it didn't happen on the century!!

I replaced the 10sp chain as well but the pin didn't seem to "lock in" like I expected.........but that is pretty normal for me so it's probably okay. Like you, I'm also worried about my craftmanship so I'm going to use my other bike on Monday's century and save the new chain for a local ride just in case.........

You still planning on doing the Civil War century???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the really bad karma!!! But at least it didn't happen on the century!!

I replaced the 10sp chain as well but the pin didn't seem to "lock in" like I expected.........but that is pretty normal for me so it's probably okay. Like you, I'm also worried about my craftmanship so I'm going to use my other bike on Monday's century and save the new chain for a local ride just in case.........

You still planning on doing the Civil War century???
    Well my chain worked out well - some skipping on the cassette because it was a bit older but not too bad. It was a nice century, though more climbing than I recall. Last year's event was held the day after hurricane Ernesto came through town - it was still raining, very dirty and poorly supported. This year was better on all accounts - thankfully.

Actually, I'm going to pick up a new cassette this week, going from a 12-25 to a 12-27. While I don't have to replace the old one, it does have some miles on it and my knees will thank me. Which is another way of saying, yes, I'm doing the Civil War this coming weekend. Last weekend I did the metric on the Blue Ridge Extreme - that was about 6,500 feet of climbing on the metric. The Civil War talks about 7,400 feet of climbing over 105 miles so that will be more than I've bitten off before. Looking forward to it!

Any chance you can make it?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    wow...you can't walk 3 miles? I would have felt lucky it wasn't further.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FXjohn View Post
    wow...you can't walk 3 miles? I would have felt lucky it wasn't further.
    Sure, walking in road shoes & cleats is fun, the more miles the better! Toughens you up and if they are Look cleats (or similar), they'd be grounded down but the end. Or you could do what I did for 1/2 mile, take your shoes off and walk w/ your socks on (or barefoot if your prefer). Toughens up the feet, especially with glass on the roadside.

JPPE rides 10,000+ feet centuries like most of us eats donuts - anytime he does something mortal can be overlooked.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby c View Post
    Any chance you can make it?
    I have not completely ruled it out! I'd still love to do it. The smart thing would be to just put it on the calendar for next year......but I really enjoy doing different routes.