User Tag List

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Ride in Months, Clipless Fall

I just can't believe it. This entire summer has been a waste. My wife and I have been working day and night trying to redo one of our business because the building industry here totally cratered. Then, for the last two months its been very hot and unhealthily smokey due to wildfires. Finally, weather turned a bit, smoke cleared out, and I just could not take working anymore. So I went out for a short ride tonight. It was hot, and my calves were crampy, but it was so nice to get out and ride! So inspired was I that when I got home after my shower I shaved my legs, hoping this will inspire me to get in a full fall of riding.

Then, I rode my bile over to the office as my dear wife suggested that I bring a bike and some cloths to the office so I can ride for a couple of hours during the day, Bless Her! So I get into our parking lot and its gravel. OK, no problem in the traffic lane, but when I turned to come over to the door I hit very soft gravel, quickly slowed to a halt and could not get my F****ing foot out of the pedal and fell over. Got a nice strawberry on my forearm where I hit the asphalt handicapped parking area right next to where I tried to ride through the gravel. Wonder why I did not ride on the asphalt?? It's just the way the summer has gone.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry!

But, things will get better. Hey, your wife told you to ride a couple of hours everyday - during work time. Things can't be all bad.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The first thing to go is memory.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might be interested in this great new invention, called "toeclips with straps." If you set the tension just right, your foot stays on the pedal when you want it to, but you can always just jerk it straight back when you stop or need to break a fall.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    You might be interested in this great new invention, called "toeclips with straps." If you set the tension just right, your foot stays on the pedal when you want it to, but you can always just jerk it straight back when you stop or need to break a fall.
    What if I don't remember to "jerk my foot straight back"? Suppose I forget and I try to move my foot off the pedal by moving it to the side? What if I don't remember to do either and I try to push straight down?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear you are back on the bike-even with the mishap!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The good thing about those type of falls is...they always happen at slow speeds. Of more concern would be breathing all that smoke.

Hang in there.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "You might be interested in this great new invention, called "toeclips with straps."

Being the old curmudgeon that I am at time, I would not mind sticking with clips and straps, but good stuff is really rare in that realm. Also, I prefer true cycling shoe, and finding old style ones with separate cleats just ain't gonna happen. But I sure do remember my old Detto Pedro's full calfskin leather shoes with a great fondness. a few rainy rides and those just formed to my feet and became a ballet slipper on the bike.

An aside note, I also discovered that in my fall last night I bruised the bejeezus out of my left hip. I keep rolling over on it last night and waking up. This too shall pass! Yea, the smoke is bad, I am coughing up a strom this morning.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Let's ride to the pub!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you said it yourself, you were hoping for a "full fall of riding."

But with that out of the way, I hope autumn brings fresh air, cool weather and great rides!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    a few rainy rides and those just formed to my feet and became a ballet slipper on the bike.
    Does anybody else hear Phil Ligget; "AND HE'S DANCING ON THE PEDALS!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Borrowed a friend's nice older Pinorello while my bike was getting some repairs and he loaned me his shoes for the first ride till I got my pedals moved over to the bike. Pulled into his driveway and not being used to the Look style arrangement got hung up on the curb while going slow and couldn't get out fast enough because I wasn't used to the slightly different feel. Went right over on my side. Kind of like falling down in the lift line with everyone watching you do it. No real damages just a couple of scrapes and being embarassed.

J

It's all about the Ort. TrackGuy's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Centurion Trac; Carnielli; Ross Mt Hood; TREK 5200.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the club It's happened to all of us at one time or another... And will happen again...

Toe Clips and Straps do not guarantee that this will not happen. I did a grovler coming off the 59th St bridge, right in front of a rather kindly cager who was holding up the traffic so I could cross.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackGuy View Post
    Welcome to the club It's happened to all of us at one time or another... And will happen again...
    Why is it that people keep posting this statement?

In all the polls I've read on BF, it seems like only 40% of the riders who use clipless said they fell because they didn't unclip. And yet I keep seeing this statement repeated.

If its a true statement the polls are wrong and if its a false statement, your just scaring people away from trying clipless.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gear View Post
    Why is it that people keep posting this statement?

In all the polls I've read on BF, it seems like only 40% of the riders who use clipless said they fell because they didn't unclip. And yet I keep seeing this statement repeated.

If its a true statement the polls are wrong and if its a false statement, your just scaring people away from trying clipless.
    Polls lie.......and they should be terrierfied....

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    The first thing to go is memory.
    The second thing to go is ... um ... wait, don't tell me ... the second thing is ... what was the question again?