Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beginner shoe question

I've been commuting with running shoes and platform pedals for the last 2 years, about 2000 mi / year. I would like to try clipless. However, I suspect with all the intersections and other reasons to stop on my commute, both expected and unexpected, clipless may not work out.

My question is - will the clipless shoes work on platforms if I remove the cleat? I like the idea of a less cushioned sole. Even if I return to platforms I would like to still use the bike shoe.

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely. My recommendation would be a MTB shoe and one of the Crank Bros pedals (Candys or Quattros). They are very easy to use and if you decide they are not for you a MTB shoe would allow a better grip on the platforms and also easier walking.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Biker looking for a ride!
    My Bikes
    Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use eggbeter pedals and if I had to put my foot down 100 times in a ride I would rather have a clipless pedal then a reg pedal....

After the first 50 times it is a reaction, I just put my foot down....I dont even think about it....I will say that my girlfriend clips out 200 feet before a stop sign....I tell her not to but she has to I guess....so there are some people that will just refuse to get used to them....if you now put your foot in the clip without thinking about it I bet in a week you will be doing the same with clipless....

No issues...

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Main thing you want for cycling is a rigid sole to the shoe. MTB style shoes- although not as rigid as some- Will be far better for the foot and cycling than a flexible sole trainer type shoe.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mt bike shoes will work and road shoes will not to answer the question.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPMacG View Post
    I've been commuting with running shoes and platform pedals for the last 2 years, about 2000 mi / year. I would like to try clipless. However, I suspect with all the intersections and other reasons to stop on my commute, both expected and unexpected, clipless may not work out.

My question is - will the clipless shoes work on platforms if I remove the cleat? I like the idea of a less cushioned sole. Even if I return to platforms I would like to still use the bike shoe.
    If there is a chance that you will want to remove the cleats at a future time on MTB shoes do not buy the cheapest shoes that require the sole to be cut/removed from the cleat area. Rather get shoes that have a bolt on sole plate in the cleat area. Might as well not have holes in the bottom of the shoe. The MTB shoes will work on platforms even with the cleats on, although not perfectly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. That was what I wanted to know. Thanks everyone!

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biffstephens
    I use eggbeter pedals and if I had to put my foot down 100 times in a ride I would rather have a clipless pedal then a reg pedal....
    +1000
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz