Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you get off the road for cars?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do you get off the road for cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-07, 12:39 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
"It would be unusual for me to pull off the road to allow a single car to pass if a break in traffic would be coming soon to allow them to pass me. But I would pull over rather than have several cars line up behind me for a long time. I don't want to be too passive. That leads to problems. But I don't want to be stupid in asserting my rights."

That's pretty much my feelings. Pull over too far and they'll squeeze you into the curb.
Old 09-02-07, 07:23 PM
Kamek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will pull off the road on 2-laners if there is a line of cars behind me, or one car that has been behind me for more than a short while.
Old 09-02-07, 08:04 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rarely

Originally Posted by sknhgy
Anyone else make room for cars, or do you prefer to assert your right to the road and makes cars go around?
I get off the road for cars only very rarely when it is safe, not excessively unpleasant, and the reasonable thing to do OR if necessary to avoid hitting or being hit. I do not subscribe to the notion that a rider should feel obligated to go out of her or his way to avoid delaying an automobile for a few seconds, but there are some situations in which voluntarily doing so makes good sense to me.

One exception for me is on roads with painted bike lanes. Though bikes belong on the road, I tend to stay in the bike lane portion of those roads except when safety or road conditions make that unwise. My practice would be different if I often had to ride on some of the poorly designed or maintained lanes encountered in some areas.

George
Old 09-02-07, 08:30 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
This is one of the most encouraging discussions I have seen in quite a while. The predominant response has been to act in a sensible and safe manner. Acting neither from fear nor from arrogance. Willing to make an exception from the general rule when circumstances call for it. Way to go, people.
Old 09-03-07, 07:21 AM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5469 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Wow. I didn't expect this kind of response at all. I figured I'd get flamed for not staying on the road and making those nasty old cars and trucks go around me.
Normally I do stay on the road, but if it's safe and convenient I scoot over so the cars can pass. That way folks wave at me instead of flipping me off or tossing beer cans my way.
Old 09-03-07, 07:45 AM
Bike Curious....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't pull off the road, I just pull over as far right as possible. A friend I used to ride with is much more aggressive, he'll stay in the middle of the lane (or close to it) because it is his right. I don't ride with him much anymore, it isn't a relaxing feeling for me.

I was in Italy this summer and they have a much more enlightened approach. Say you're riding and a car is coming up behind you and one coming towards you. The oncoming vehicle simply heads into the shoulder or goes off the road without thought so the two cars can get by. No big deal, no confrontation and next to no slow down. Also the car coming up from behind often give a short little toot of the horn, just to let you know they are there. Didn't see any pickup trucks either!
Old 09-03-07, 07:48 AM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
sknhgy - I think you are exercising perfect judgment in your situation. I also believe that it's worth using a bike path - if available, and in good condition.
<mild rant>
There is a 4 lane road that runs the last 3 miles of my commute home. The shoulders are loose sharp gravel that would suck me down and lacerate me if I pulled onto them at anything over 2mph. I average over 17mph on that stretch.
About 50' to the side is a "path". The path is 5' wide and over it's entire length is not level, even side to side. It has cracks, tree root bulges, and winds right, left, and up/down it the space of a dozen yards. It curves between trees and is littered with sticks, leaves, acorns, and mud. At any turn you can run into pedestrians, joggers, and baby carriages occupying the entire path. It crosses many residential side roads with very little line-of-sight.
On another leg of my commute is the WO&D rail trail MUP. It is wide, straight, and reasonably maintained. Several intersections have overpassess, underpasses, or crosswalks. It's a direct route to many places I have to travel (especially work).
Of the two paths, I rely on one but refuse to consider using the other.
</mild rant>