Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+'rs - How to Avoid Getting Foo'd

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

50+'rs - How to Avoid Getting Foo'd

Old 09-02-07, 07:28 PM
as I used to be

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Release the Diego's
Cry "Havoc!", and let slip the Diegos of War.
Old 09-02-07, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
DG is correct. Although I'm new here, I think that a forum that allow non-biking discussions by 50+ is appropriate and a good thing. I read the Road Biking forum and it's full of hammerheads and macho men, which is good, but it's not (necessarily) us.
Old 09-02-07, 08:16 PM

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I personally would like to see more actual bike conversation I can't help but wonder just what is the 50+ forum? There is nothing in Fifty Plus (50+) Forum title that even suggests bicycle. If a mindless, no topic restriction sub forum, aka Foo can exist within the great Bikeforums.net. Then why not a mindless, no topic restriction sub forum for old farts, aka middle of the roaders, aka seniors. Certainly there would be a need to separate young bikers who know it all and older bikers who probably forgot more then the young bikers think they know. To put it another way, the dribble in Foo is just, well, dribble. The dribble in 50+ is usually of some interest as it is age related. As to more bike related, I do cruise thru Road Riding and Mechanics sub forums, and sadly I must check into the Clydedales.
Old 09-02-07, 08:18 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Sorry to disagree with some of you folks with whom I so enjoy joking around and discussing serious-ish cycling topics. I think that some of the completely non-bicycling topics, like choosing a television or getting a colonoscopy or a divorce (same thing?) probably belong somewhere else. I do think we should be given a very loose reign about topics, but there should be some standards. I think a subforum for non-cycling discussions within 50+ could be a good idea. Something like the road bike racing subforum on the road bike forum. The atmosphere in Foo is a lot more in-your-face than in 50+ and I wouldn't want to lose the ability to communicate in a more civil manner with this great group of people about a wide range of topics. I would especially have a problem with some of the discussions on 50+ being suddenly exposed to such an harsh environment. But at the same time I think we sometimes get too far off, too often and it interferes with the on topic discussions.
Old 09-02-07, 08:29 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
.................................................................................................... ......................................................................

Here are the current mods:

Admin

Brian
donnamb
HostGeekZ
Joe Gardner

Super Moderators

55/Rad
a2psyklnut
Chris L
cuda2k
FitRider 921
hi565
I_Bike
jschen
jsharr
Juha
kemmer
khuon
lala
Lecterman
lotek
LowCel
Maelstrom
MediaCreations
Mr. Smashy
onetwentyeight
phantomcow2
pitboss
Rev.Chuck
RonH
snowy
Tom Stormcrowe
voltman

I do have a question on this. Who pays all these guys? Or are they all doing it for the fun of it? Seems like quite a bureaucracy.
Old 09-02-07, 08:31 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
I do have a question on this. Who pays all these guys? Or are they all doing it for the fun of it? Seems like quite a bureaucracy.
I believe they are all voluntary. I don't know about the admin folks.
Old 09-02-07, 10:02 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I come here because I can discuss stuff with people my age group. If I wanted to discuss stuff with kids, I would. While I haven't had a post moved, I'd be bloody annoyed if it was, because I'm not after the perspective of much younger people, I'm after the perspective of people who've learned to slow down and think about things a bit more. Nor do I like the aggressive attitude of lot of posters in other forums.

Methinks the solution is a couple of moderators in this forum, who are of the 'right age', and all other mods being told to keep out unless it's something awful (spam, sex, the horrid stuff). But pure house keeping, such as moving threads around, should not be done by people who aren't directly involved with this forum.

Richard
yes, I am a mod eslewhere, in fact, I'm an admin
Old 09-02-07, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl
Sorry. I'm with the mods on this one.

I come to BikeForums.net to read and learn about bikes and cycling. If I wanted to read about divorces, I'd go to DivorceForums.net.
I with the mods too... buncha whiner babies.
Old 09-03-07, 12:33 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
maybe it's time to ban the entire 50+ geezer forum...buy your own servers and start your own site then you can whine in peace. By the way, whoever is in charge of the rogue's gallery...delete my entry please..I don't wish to be associated with this group any more.
Old 09-03-07, 01:01 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SteveE
Personally, I find it rather sad that so many of you in my age bracket don't want to share your experiences with younger people or listen to what they have to say about life. You'd rather live in your own gated, retirement community.
It isn't that. Heck, I can hardly keep up with the threads in this forum. I usually don't read 1/3rd of them. There are something like 40 other forums. About once a month I drop in on the Recreational and Recumbent forums. I can't track and keep up with threads across all of those forums.

My primary use of the other forums is to search out information on equipment. That has been quite useful.

If a thread I started, or participated in, was moved to another forum, then as far as I'm concerned, that thread is dead to me, as I'm not going to follow it there.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-03-07, 01:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The whole point of a 50+ bike forum is to acknowledge that cyclists over 50 have a different attitude...and part of our attitude is not being limited to cycling. So the occasional OT thread that relates to the regular posters, or any posters for that matter, shouldn't be any problem unless there are complaints...and more than just one or two from chronic complainers.

Anyone who doesn't like it -- and sometimes that includes me -- is free to leave and find something more to their liking in these or other bike forum pages. I always come back because this is the best balance between serious cycling, recreational cycling, and over-50, general interest B.S.

The Foo-transfers are ridiclulous, if for no other reason than the under-50 crowd will see where they're headed in future decades, and a good many of them may wilt in the face of the horror that awaits them. I mean, if I was 25 and knew that I would someday find someone like DG interesting and provocative (in the platonic, non-sexual sense) I might do the Dutch myself.

Last edited by Big Paulie; 09-03-07 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-03-07, 04:11 AM
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I guess I don't get what's so hard about not reading a thread that doesn't interest one's self. I do it all the time.

I agree, and I don't bother with most of the DG stuff
Old 09-03-07, 04:25 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
De we need more rules and less fun? Do we need less cheering of a grandchild's achievment and less sympathy when someone's kid gets hit by a car, or about someone's health or personal issues? I'm stunned at the response by many here, especially by those who start and actively particpate in the very threads they now seem to oppose.

Last edited by Jet Travis; 09-03-07 at 04:39 AM.
Old 09-03-07, 05:27 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been really fascinated by this discussion.

It started out with me being surprised that those 2 threads were moved to foo. I guess I've see that happen before with threads that got out of hand or were terribly silly, but those threads always seemed to feature girly photos... which I would have been just as happy to see deleted.

So, I wondered, "why these two threads?" I didn't want to make the same mistake myself, you see. The randomness of it was unnerving. Many threads go OT, and remain here.

Posts just don't seem to be moved much, and on other forums, the reaction to a moderator moving posts would have been a respectful silence: mods can do what they want... we're guests here. The official rule is that all OT posts are in Foo.

So why is this forum so different? Why is there such a heated debate instead of shrugging this off as a minor thing?

I think the main reason is that the mods have* let us form a culture that we're all the most comfortable with. We like playfulness, we like seriousness, we like relationships. 50+ means we know that life is not a compartmentalized and sterile thing. I think we're disturbed because the reasons for the moves were not explained. Maybe DG and SKT know, but we don't. We know they were OT, but why these 2 threads?

Second, we are of the generation which is rebelliious. We are no strangers to discussing topics like free speech and the rights of individuals. Our natural inclination when faced with censorship is to organize and try to change things. Not that we are all old hippies... but even those of use with a more conservative youth aren't really accepting of the answer "just because".

Third, we're baby boomers, and we're used to using our collective mass to mold the environment to our liking. Our first thoughts are, "what can we do to make our opinions heard, hopefully to bring change?"

Fourth, did I mention that a lot of us have a rebellious side? Part of that comes with age, too. 50+ means we know who we are and what we like--and if we like what we have, we don't want it messed with. But the truth is, Foo was set up just for what we're talking about. We just don't use it because we don't want to sit with younger grades in the lunch room. We may feel strongly about that, but that doesn't mean every other table doesn't feel the same way!

The more I think about this issue, the more I think it's a small thing. They're not moving a lot of the posts here. If they do, it would be worth getting them to define their expectations a bit better because they're not consistent. But as it stands, in my opinion, it's just a random occurrence. If DG and SKT want the threads deleted, I'm sure the mods would do it. I hope the mods give future OPs a choice in the matter. So I vote for dropping it, and seeing if it develops into a problem. If it does, then petitions and letters might be a good step.

Last edited by solveg; 09-03-07 at 06:15 AM.
Old 09-03-07, 05:49 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
From a tactical discussion of a couple of very, very simple things one might include in their post title to help avoid their post being moved to Foo, this discussion has ranged far away from that into a very different discussion!!

I am amazed.

We have had one person quit the forum, demanding to have their picture removed from the gallery; others who have chastised the 50+ group for even desiring to be a discrete forum; folks defending the status quo and on and on. We have even had a separate poll on the subject!

I guess, somehow my suggested simple techniques must have hit home, but I am not sure just how. I originally expected my first post to get maybe one or two responses, and then just die out, people either accepting or rejecting what I offered.

And I don't quite know what happened!

But it sure did.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-03-07 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-03-07, 06:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
...So why is this forum so different? Why is there such a heated debated instead of shrugging this off as a minor thing? ....
The more I think about this issue, the more I think it's a small thing. They're not moving a lot of the posts here. If they do, it would be worth getting them to define their expectations a bit better because they're not consistent. But as it stands, in my opinion, it's just a random occurrence. If DG and SKT want the threads deleted, I'm sure the mods would do it. I hope the mods give future OPs a choice in the matter. So I vote for dropping it, and seeing if it develops into a problem. If it does, then petitions and letters might be a good step.
I'm hopeful that your position is not one of heated debate being a bad thing (somehow I suspect that it may not be your position). I believe this forum has real value because debate is practiced here. Unlike some other forums, there is no seemingly deliberate personal attacks and negativity bordering on warfare. At 50+ we should be open to debate, differences of opinion, and have that ability to accomodate. I think you are spot on to recognize this as a small thing. A handful (maybe less) of posts were moved, and while I agree that they should have been moved, if they had not, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

As to those who are worried about where their posts end up, consider the following. Anytime you send something into cyberspace you must realize that it is now open to the entire world. Perphaps one of the hardest things for me to remember is that once I hit the key that sends information into cyberspace, I no longer have control over it. As someone who has always had a hard time censoring myself, this continues to be a real concern for me. I often "say" something that in hindsight I wish I had not.

Finally, it seems that every several months we work our way through some sort of issue (e.g., most recent prior to this was the Diego thing). I can't help but wonder if this is some sort of natural self-regulating process beyond our control.
Old 09-03-07, 06:28 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 685 Times in 427 Posts
To me, the 50+ forum is a COMMUNITY of 50+'ers who cycle, discuss cycling AND OTHER issues. Don't see any need to change it. If a thread isn't cycling related, just go to the next one that interests you. Don't change our 50+ COMMUNITY! There are plenty of other forums if we wanted to post strictly cycling related threads. Nothing wrong with this forum in it's present state.
Old 09-03-07, 08:04 AM
Bike Curious....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I straddle both sides of the fence on this. I come here to read about biking with our age group, what especially interests me are the accomplishments of the group here. Whether it be a 5 miler by a new biker or one of JPPE's epic rides, it is what inspires me. And if there's a topic that deals with hot feet or how someone has foiled some young ruffians from stealing his bike, great. What I don't like seeing here (and no offense to anyone) are posts like I want to buy a new TV or the Diegos (again), etc. If I were a moderator would I move these? Most likely no, but I would set up a sub-forum where these discussion could take place. While they aren't my cup of tea, I see a valid reason for them and the perspective of this group is so much deeper than you'll find elsewhere.

In the meantime I just skip the posts that don't interest me and go on my merry way.
Old 09-03-07, 08:21 AM

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Here are the current mods:

Admin

Brian
HostGeekZ (DB geek, no moderating)
Joe Gardner (informally retired from the forums)

Super Moderators
donnamb (has one admin right, but actually a moderator)
55/Rad
a2psyklnut
Chris L
cuda2k
FitRider 921 (BMX only, don't make me unleash him here )
hi565
I_Bike
jschen
jsharr
Juha
kemmer
khuon
lala
Lecterman
lotek
LowCel
Maelstrom (no longer admin, but we let him keep his superpowers)
MediaCreations
Mr. Smashy
onetwentyeight
phantomcow2
pitboss
Rev.Chuck
RonH
snowy
Tom Stormcrowe
voltman

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
So basically the 50+ forum is moderated by mostly 50- mods. That's like having mostly men moderate the women's only forum.
The Women's forum needs no moderating.

Actually, a letter writing and/or petition has been done before. In fact, that was a portion of how Koffe Brown got removed as assistant forum director. [snip] She was a total rules person, unable to adjust to a more flexible forum.
Incorrect. Correct. Let's never speak of her again.

Originally Posted by will dehne
Volunteers, all of them. I have incriminating pictures of several of them involving goats, at least one chicken, and a tuba.

On a serious note, is this just about the divorce thread, or was there something more? Because we've been through stuff like this before with other groups on the forums. Y'all get to be such a tight little group that you want all threads, no matter the topic, to stay here in your little corner of the internet. If that's what you're after, let me know and we'll work something out.

Although I'm under 40, I can still be seen sporting a Johnny Cash t-shirt when the missus and I tour on our Goldwing. And (if we're lucky) the nest will finally be empty in just 3 more years. So draw the line at 50 if you want, but some things that you folks discuss apply to a somewhat younger crowd as well.
Old 09-03-07, 09:32 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If DG and SKT want the threads deleted, I'm sure the mods would do it. I hope the mods give future OPs a choice in the matter.
I didn't know they were moved until it was pointed out after the fact. Just sayin'

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-03-07, 11:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think I'd post my saddle sore question to people I didn't know or want it to show up somewhere else.
Should there be a "50+ Saddle Sore" forum?

Just askin' ...
Old 09-03-07, 11:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing I've noticed about posting in "more appropriate" forums is that, at least half the time, I get flamed for either being so old or being so stupid. Being old and stupid is a given in here, so I can function without too much self-awareness.
Old 09-03-07, 11:34 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I'm sure they're nice people over at Foo, and I'm sure I'd recognize some, but I'm not going to talk about an ingrown hair on my bottom with complete strangers!!!! At least, unless I was desperate!
Old 09-03-07, 11:50 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I'm sure they're nice people over at Foo, and I'm sure I'd recognize some, but I'm not going to talk about an ingrown hair on my bottom with complete strangers!!!! At least, unless I was desperate!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-03-07, 11:53 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the other forums I feel like I need to put my age and riding status in big bold text to emphasize it so they won't assume I'm a young roadie. And here, I don't feel like I'll be laughed out of town when I mention my hybrid...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.